Shoes for working on Metal Roofs

I just finished installing a new galvalum metal roof on my house. It was the scariest thing I’ve ever done. Those sheet have a coating of oil on them from the factory and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I even fell of the roof once and thank God I didn’t break anything. I had to use a safety rope from over the other side of the roof to hold on to so I would not slide off again. Then it dawned on me that someone must make a pair of shoes with magnets built into the soles for this kind of work. I searched high and low but never did find anything like that. Does anyone know of anyone that sells magnetic shoes? What do you guys do to get some traction? :?

I have a pair of “Cougar Paws” they make boots and you can remove and replace the soles for different applications. I believe that have one for Metal.

cougarpaws.com/index.shtml

That’s cool, thanks.
I must tell you that the crack about wiping the oil off is not that far off. During the time I was doing this roof it was raining every afternoon like clockwork. I would spread out five or six panels and let them get rained on for a couple of days. That alone removed enough of the oil so that it was not nearly as slippery. I could have sped up the process by using a pressure washer with a soap dispenser and I’m sure that would have done a fine job.
But I’ll definitely check out the shoes.

[quote=“David40”]That’s cool, thanks.
I must tell you that the crack about wiping the oil off is not that far off. During the time I was doing this roof it was raining every afternoon like clockwork. I would spread out five or six panels and let them get rained on for a couple of days. That alone removed enough of the oil so that it was not nearly as slippery. I could have sped up the process by using a pressure washer with a soap dispenser and I’m sure that would have done a fine job.
But I’ll definitely check out the shoes.[/quote]

Its no joke, wipe the oil off and the sun will take care of the rest, galvelume is the only one they put oil on. :wink:

Really? I had no idea that was an option. I thought it was a joke because I figured it would take a moutain of rags and more time to do the cleaning than it would take to do the actual installation. I’ll give that a try on the next one.

I use ‘Safetrax’ reataraunt tennis shoes. Lots of little serrated cleats on the bottom.

I use Rubbermaids shelf liner to hold tools and it can be stood on too. BUT, IT MUST BE FLAT----NO WRINKLES ALLOWED!

I use Columbia hiking boots with the knobby tread. They are great for metal, shingle, etc.