Shingles installation in Florida (high wind areas)

I am replacing a section of shingles. The installed the roofing nails above the tar strip on the shingles on the old roof. I read the bundle instructions, and it states that they should be fastened 5/8in above the tab cutouts and below the tar strip. When I install the next course, it only covers the nail head by less than an inch. I know that with gravity the water shouldn’t roll up under the shingles, but I am worried about storms with high winds. It seems like the wind could push the water underneath. The slope of the roof isn’t that steep. When I say this, I’m saying I do not need to add any safety measures to do the roof. It is a normal sloping roof of the 80’s I guess.

The installed the roofing nails above the tar strip on the shingles on the old roof. I read the bundle instructions, and it states that they should be fastened 5/8in above the tab cutouts and below the tar strip.

Sounds like you installed them wrong from what you said.

When I install the next course, it only covers the nail head by less than an inch.

Listing the specific shingles you’re installing would be helpful. Sounds like it’s some kind of three tab. Not really enoug info here to make a good call but exposure makes a difference. Three tabs really should not be used on low slopes and exposure with more than likely be shortened, depending on the manufacure’s specs and local building codes. I’ve never worked in Fla. myself but have many friends that have and I know they have excessive specs due to all the hurricanes. Meaning that that I would check local installation specs as well as manufacture’s.

You should not install the nails higher then the seal strip. The main reason for this is becuase there are actually supposed to be 8 nails per shingle, starting from the second course on. The nails go through the top portion of the course below, if you nail to high they miss and you only have 4 nails per shingle.

Confused yet? = )

Your concerns about water blowing up under the shingle and leaking through the nail head are un-warranted.

ditto ridge walker,you need the nails there so wind doesn`t blow water up and thru the top of the keys

Ridgewalker

The space between the tab cutout and tar strip is less than an inch. I only nailed 4 nails per shingle. Two on the corners and one above each tab cut out. I live in central Florida, so we don’t have excessively high winds. In high wind areas, I guess you nail two at the ends and two above each tab as per instructions. I guess the nail hole is sealed by the asphalt shingle material when it is nailed in place. Is it typical for roof leaks to appear from nail holes???

Yes, these are three tab shingles. The are owens corning supreme AR (oakridge???)

Please take a look at the pics I post tomorrow if you can.

Only if the nail heads are exposed, or not covered. = )

mr fronty
are u that poor that you cant hire the all mighty
one that lives in tampa bay, that knows evrything there is to know about low slopes , drivin rain,
nails to low, nails to high?
if so your not alone.

three tabs are a low slope freindly shingle.
the cut-outs allow water to not to get traped and run sideways like it does with demensions on low slopes.

pretty much all shingles have nails within an inch
of the edge of the next shingle.

ive allways tried to get the nail in the stickem,
or close to it.

sound like youll be alrite.

seal the first 2 shingles at the edge real good.
that usaully were the water sits and the leakin starts .

good luck.

central florida, for cryin out loud.

gweedo

Florida --& your Not 6 nailing --asking for a blow off if you ask me

I actually live in Central Florida. It isn’t as bad as people think. Now, the coastal areas are different.

Go with some high profile shingle. That way you will have a double lamant. On my roof i never use three tab. Three tab is so old school and they are alow on quality.
Even with 6 nails in athree tab there is no garantte that they well not rip. They well stay on but at time Flap. Ive naver had a blow foo with the cambridge shingle. High quality and heavy, They also have a seal at the bottom of the shingl that when the sun hits it it mealts an creats a bond with the corisponding shingl. They are a bitc for doing a reroof but first applicatiopn is awsome.
Ive doner low slope roof that have had the cambridge and dindt have paper. That was hard ass hell. The shingle was bonded to the plywood and was hard as hell to rip off.