Shingles around pipe flashing

I noticed a roof where they just cut a circle out of the reveal area of the shingle for the pipe flashing. I was going to just cut the reveal straight down like this.

http://www.mahanslate.com/images/services/stack.JPG

Which one of these is better? It looks like they put tar around the hole as well. I was going to put a double bead under the flashing not above.

This can be done either way. It should depend on where the courses land. please refrain from using tar on a slate roof use red slaters cement.

The cut straight down as in your photo is better because it doesnt restrict water flow. A round cut can trap or divert water. Better safe than sorry.

that picture there is showing what you call a slate piece , slate piece is the pro way to do it

u can also have the slate peice under the course that runs over the top of it and over the other two so u see more of the slate peice its easier to install in the latter

the picture shows a slate roof not shingle. it is more practical to do it that way than to cut an oval hole in a piece of slate. you usually see a hole cut in an asphalt shingle and tarred.

Sorry bad picture. I just grabbed one of the first pictures I came across. I was referring to the best method to use when asphalt shingles are involved.

Hi Bread,

That is not a bad picture. That is a very good picture on how to install a pipe collar.

The type of material means little.

I do not see any tar around that pipe collar. You may be referring to the solder.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi Bread,

That is not a bad picture. That is a very good picture on how to install a pipe collar.

The type of material means little.

I do not see any tar around that pipe collar. You may be referring to the solder.[/quote]

The one I saw with the tar around the pipe was on a friends roof. They just cut a circle around the shingle and I saw tar around the gap. I was going to do it like the picture, but I was only going to have tar on the bottom of the flashing.

bread
the details are up to the installer, strait, a hole some guys cut little curves. roofers always need to put their own signature on things, like dogs marking their territory. the picture shows the best way to flash a stack. it takes special tools and talent. get the shingles as tight as you can to the pipe and tar it. use enough tar so it wont dryout and crack. roofin aint rocket science

bread u will be able to buy the slate peice/pipe flashing already made up

Personally tar should never be used on a roof. Ok well atleast i have never had to use it. Now Solar seal i have used. Tar cracks to easy.

sorry
i thougt goop was goop. a good roofer can keep a house water tight with lasanga noodles. but if your not a roofer get as much of what ever goop is your favorite. even comes in colors.

Hi Gtp1003,

Ice and water shield is roof cement in a roll.

There are a lot of areas to use roof cement. It is used under the shingles like Hoss said.

Most roofers do not have a clue what to do with it. They think it is for repair work.

With the exception of a one piece skylight flashing there is no reason to put tar on a new roof, ever. If that’s what it takes to waterproof then you need to hang it up.

The exception being for a warranty that specs for it. Which shows how much those people know. Tar is a quick fix and the last refuge of a jack-leg. I hate that crap.

come on, I thought you loved it.

on a serios not. Karnak and its ilk is for use on flat roofs and maybee as a temp emergency repair in some cases. Red slaters cement is a completly different animal and is used in fitting hips,undereave slates, vallys etc. its not cheap and it should be used sparingly. slate roof have used this stuff for hundreds of years.

slate cannot be defeated on a roof its the best material there is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/sport/findasport/images/curling_tip.gif

lol was that a dig at me