Shingle types

What is the best shingle out there. Not warranty but shingle company. Brand name if you will. Also does the color of the shingle effect performance. We would like to goto a blue shingle with a long warranty. Sorry for the very basic questions that I have but I would like to hear my answers from true roofing professionals and not some salesman in Home depot/lowes. Thanks for the advice.

IMO, Certainteed makes the best shingles in the business, across all lines and styles.
All others are second best.
Their are brands available in other areas that I have never used or seen personally.

There are a couple of styles that were put out by Certainteed that were not as good, or just plain bad.
I am pretty sure those have been discontinued, a while ago.

Fiberglas, stained wood type, composite type, etc…what type shingles?
I’m sure you will get a number of suggestions…everyone has a favorite.

& Yes… color does affect the buildings thermal nature as well as the shingles longevity proper

I am looking for a asphalt shingle I live in upstate NY. So weather is really all over the place.

Look at the Landmark series from Certainteed.
They are the best in their class by a wide margin.

Tamko make a pretty decent laminate also.

Owens Corning is improving with their Duration line, but I don’t like the sealing strip on them.

IKO is worthless junk and should be avoided.

I am not too impressed with GAF shingles, but some guys swear by them.
I am not too impressed with ELK either, now owned by GAF.
Though the capstone series from ELK has a very distinctive look, I like the look.

I don’t have much experience with Pinnacle.

These are the most common shingles in my area, Landmarks are the most popular, for a good reason.

Axoim,

Any reason why you do not like the sealing strip on the new Owens Corning duration?

I put the OC Lifetime Duration on my roof and have been happy so far! I was going to go with the Landmarks but living on a lake in Michigan, I liked the idea of the higher wind guaranty!

I’ve read color does affect performance. Lighter colors reduce the day/night thermal cycling and can extend the useful life of the roof. If you haven’t narrowed down the choices of color, you may want to pick one of the lighter ones to your liking.

[quote]Axoim,

Any reason why you do not like the sealing strip on the new Owens Corning duration? [/quote]

It is a solid strip, this encourages water to travel sideways.
Not usually a problem , but when it is, it is hard to pinpoint.
Their 3-tabs are like this also.

Other than the sealing strip, the Durations are greatly improved over the Oakridges.

i allways tell people to use what is popular in roofing materials.
ask your local roofing supply what is the most common
fiberglass shingle they sell.
most will probably say elk, or certainteed, or o.c.
30 yr.

you want to use a common product.
special order shingles may sit for awhile before
they get used.
you may ad on to house and need to match the shingles you buy one day.
just alot of reason to go with something that is most likely going to be aroung for awhile.

gweedo.

Holy crap, that’s the most logical thing I think I’ve ever read out of Gweedo… just goes to show that every squirrel gets a nut now 'n then.

In your 'basic / generic 30 year" type dimensional shingles, I am a fan of the Tamko line & really like their color options. I’ve done a few of the Painted Desert’s & it’s always an attractive option, IMO.

One thing - if you want a LONG LASTING shingle & your roof profile is a gabled ridge line, add zinc strips to the roof. This will make a 30 year shingle look like a new roof a LOT longer, especially if you go with a color that is going to reduce your “heat island” effect.

Given that most consumers stay in a house for about 9 years max, I suggest that people color shop more than brand shop… we don’t get Iko in my market, so I don’t have that cross to bear. That means I tell my customer to not worry about brand because IMO, there’s not a lot of difference in how they’re going to perform provided they are installed properly.

As roofers, I think we can all agree that 99% of your issues are going to be on flashings & terminations & NOT in field… provided they are installed properly.

[quote=“shinglehitter”]Axoim,

Any reason why you do not like the sealing strip on the new Owens Corning duration?

I put the OC Lifetime Duration on my roof and have been happy so far! I was going to go with the Landmarks but living on a lake in Michigan, I liked the idea of the higher wind guaranty![/quote]

yeah durations kill certainteeds 30yr landmark shingles but i think 30 yr landmark comes 2nd no doubt hopefully certainteed starts making the same seal i just fixed some tamko shingles seems their a little on the thin side and seem to lack any fiber glass honestly (these were the 30yr heritage tamko’s too)

You obviously haven’t tried to tie into a Landmark roof recently.
They seal together too damn good. :cry:

[quote="-Axiom-"]You obviously haven’t tried to tie into a Landmark roof recently.
They seal together too damn good. :cry:[/quote]

i hold a shingle master company card look for stinelli construction on certainteeds find a contractor or in zip code 15205 i love certainteed the really help the small contractor out in every way no doubt and the landmarks are alot more pliable than oc and they lay down flat sooner no complaints but oc’s seal is unreal no lie i use a slate puller for tooth’n in shingle so i can separate and shingle usually without tearing, but no i’m not saying oc’ is the greatest i hate how they dont help the small guy at all

You da man.

Can’t think of a blue laminate shingle. Certainteed makes or made a blue New Horizon shingle but I wouldn’t put that line on a dog house. The shingle is actually sharp with the black shadow lines with all black vents.

Never put down the Duration, try to stay away from Menards brand. They seem to go through shingle manufacturers every few years. When a shingle fails they simply carry and new brand.

i was just saying that i like certainteed alot but oc’s new strip is really brutal and i think at this time its the best thats all but its probably over kill i’ve never had a shingle blow off i had two leaks in my time that i know of thats about it so i’d say that the seal isnt the most important factor but the tamko thing came up because i just fixed some tamko 30 yr heritage va slates and it almost seemed like the nails melted through and the shingles actually slid off the nails no lie never seen anything like it but the whole side is doing it and i dont think the tamkos are a way to go since their only about 4.00 per sq cheaper than the landmarks i dont use oc unless requested because of their poor business practice

I would occasionally use Atlas, however they recently closed a Texas plant & I think the nearest supply line comes to us out of Georgia.

The added freight has pushed their pricing up to around midway between a GAF & OC (CertainTeed as our higher priced line). Not sure where Elk falls these days; haven’t specified this line in awhile.

phgroofer - your posts are may be easier on the brain if you use a couple of these - …- in there.

After that last big round of hurricane’s FEMA found that the sealant strip quality was a bigger factor, then the nails for avoiding flying shingle’s in mega storms. There is a topic somewhere on this site that has a link to the report they generated.

i’d say anyone thats been roofing for awile knows that when a roof is beat its because the seal is lifting… you start losing tons of shingle in wind etc… however for some reason the older asphalt shingles (organic) types didn’t even have a seal so go figure? and for some reason almost all asphalt shingle lasted forever like 40yrs+ i think its because they used more tar in them not sure because there isnt any fiberglass

the old organic shingles were made on rag felt and yes they had more ashphalt. Fry and Ruberoid were two of the best.