Shingle courses not straight

OK, I’m starting to think we hired the wrong contractor. Most of the new roof is finished in the front of the house, and upon first glance it looks nice. However when looking out the window from an upstairs dormer at the adjacent section of roof, it’s obvious to see that the courses are not straight. The house is l-shaped, roof is 12/12 pitch. Do pros assume they have enough experience and do not use a chalk line? Maybe I’m too picky, but every time I walk by that window I’ll see it. Is this something I should demand be corrected? Here’s a photo I took from the window: i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb21 … /roof1.jpg . Look just below and past the dormer and you can see it. Am I crazy, or this a sloppy job?

thx, Don

That could be caused by a dip in your roof.
It doesn’t look too bad, no need to make a big stink about it.
They should use lines though.
You will still get that effect if there is a dip in the roof, even if you snap lines.

There’s no dip. The crooked line looks worse than the photo shows. I’m the anal one in the house. My wife doesn’t notice anything and usually thinks I’m nuts, but this she see’s too and mentioned it to me first.

Obviously, they didn’t use G-Tape…

But it doesn’t look too bad.

Yeah he obviously is trying to fix his lines the lazy way notice the shingle by the dormer is about one inch lower than the next one, but it could be worse… I think.

So what should I do? Should I expect them to take something off the final payment for the mistake? To me it seems that they don’t take pride in their work - just want to finish it and move on. This is a big job - 62 squares. I don’t think snapping a chalk line will slow them down too much.

It is a very sloppy job Did the the guy you hire use a sub crew or did he do the work himself just wondering i bet it was a bunch mexican get in get out they dont care i see it lot were i am at valley run the wrong way short course if i were you i would make him rip it off and do it right your paying for service tell him he should have a meat cleaver in his hand not hatchet because he is a butcher

Like I said before, its not that bad. Its better than most I see.

Yes you should pay him and be done with it. If you don’t he’ll put a lien on your house and get his money. I’m sure the shingles were installed to manufacturer’s specs. That will be his arguement. A slight dip in the shingles can be from many different things, maybe your edge is crooked? maybe, like Axiom said, there is a slight dip in the roof, could be many different things. It will not hurt the integrity of the shingles, nor the life expectancy of them either.

Pay the man.

dmestan - I am a homeowner and I am like you - kinda anal about my yard and house! This would bother me!!!

But, is it bad enough to make them do anything? Roofers would probably say no! I would be thinking along the same lines as you! especially if you see that everytime you look out your window!

When I had my roof done last year. The cuts in the valleys were not straight! drove me nuts BUT, luckly due to the pitch of my roof, it is only noticable when on the roof! If this was visible from the road, I would have had it corrected, or even paid to have it corrected!

good luck!

I expect them to take something off the final bill? If you receive a discount do the shingles straighten themselves out?

The shingles are off slightly but not terrible. Chalk lines may have helped but if there is a slight dip in the roof it may have thrown them off. Also looking a the bottom of you eave it is has a couple of more courses of shingles further down. and it may have been were i started to throw it off.

Pay the man.

Sorry about the spelling mistakes. Broken finger.

Is part of this due to the shingle being a lighter color? Seems like a darker color such as weatherwood may hide this better! Just curious!

The roof is crooked,thats all there is to it.It probably wont leak and the only way to remedy is don’t look out the window!

Sloppy workmanship. I’d probably ask for money off and push it a bit but not to the point of not paying. Come up with a number that will make you feel better about the roof and hit them with it. Doesn’t hurt to negotiate.

It is a sloppy job…looks like a 1 liner that got out of control from the second course…I have seen way worse, and have to agree ,that it may not leak,butyou could havegot a huge tarp, that would not leak either.no matterwhat you paid for the job, if you are not happy w/it it was too much!

It does matter what you paid for the job.

If I buy a Chevy truck, I expect a few flaws in the details. If I buy a Mercedes,there should be no issues.
Also, would replacing the shingles do more harm than good?

And it could be a lot worse.

http://www.roofersreview.com/d/9547-2/shinglelines

I talked to the owner today. Asked him if they use a chalk line because the courses weren’t straight. He didn’t believe me at first so I brought him upstairs to see. He stood there and looked at it silent for a few minutes - obviously he knew it wasn’t good. Said he’d talk to the crew to see what they could do.

On a 2 story house with more shallow slope you’d never see it. But with a 12/12 it’s easier to notice the courses aren’t straight. There’s a long run in the back of the house next to the patio, I told him they need to use a chalk line there because I don’t want to see crooked lines when I’m sitting outside.

In our house I’m the anal picky one, my wife doesn’t usually care. But even she notices this.

On a 12/12 roof, it is a LOT harder to have 2 guys on opposite ends to snap chalk lines due to the pitch.

If this is still a new job, and I expect that it is, the shingles will not have sealed too tight yet unless you live in a very hot climate.

They can remove the shingles after they stretch out a masonry string line to see how much they are actually off.

The can then re-install the shingles with a little play in them to line them up a few at a time.

If you try to have that one row ONLY straightened out, then you will see the same affect on the next row after they are done.

I believe that the cure to your problem will only bring about additional aesthetic concerns to be observed by you after the fact. Is it worth having them re-do the entire side if that is what you wanted at this point? That may be the case if the next row then looks crooked to you too.

What surprises me so far, is that neither you, nor any of the other roofing contractors commented about them using only 2" x 4" roof hooks or cleats for their toe-boards.

You and the owner of the roofing company and the crew members should be appalled at the lack of structural integrity for those limited and deceptively presumed safe working conditions.

Those boards are an accident waiting to happen. A 2" x 4" cracks so much easier than a 2" x 6" board.

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]On a 12/12 roof, it is a LOT harder to have 2 guys on opposite ends to snap chalk lines due to the pitch.

If this is still a new job, and I expect that it is, the shingles will not have sealed too tight yet unless you live in a very hot climate.

They can remove the shingles after they stretch out a masonry string line to see how much they are actually off.

The can then re-install the shingles with a little play in them to line them up a few at a time.

If you try to have that one row ONLY straightened out, then you will see the same affect on the next row after they are done.

I believe that the cure to your problem will only bring about additional aesthetic concerns to be observed by you after the fact. Is it worth having them re-do the entire side if that is what you wanted at this point? That may be the case if the next row then looks crooked to you too.

What surprises me so far, is that neither you, nor any of the other roofing contractors commented about them using only 2" x 4" roof hooks or cleats for their toe-boards.

You and the owner of the roofing company and the crew members should be appalled at the lack of structural integrity for those limited and deceptively presumed safe working conditions.

Those boards are an accident waiting to happen. A 2" x 4" cracks so much easier than a 2" x 6" board.

Ed[/quote]

Got too dizzy looking at the roof to notice that,good eye Ed :shock:

Ed, are you sure those are 2x4s?

I’ve never used those type of roof brackets, but it looks to me that the boards fill the bracket space. Do they really make jacks that only use 2x4s?

If I wanted to be picky, I’d start with the dormer tins. :slight_smile: