Shingle color lineup problem ---HELP!

Having a problem picking shingle colors.

Our contractor uses Owens Corning (Oakridge) and that is what he suggests…

We currently have a tan/brown roof…the rest of the house is red brick/black mortar and a medium cedar siding (so redish brown)…

I was looking to use “pebblestone clay” for the aluminum s&f…the contractor suggested the OC shingle “driftwood”…

But when he brought a bundle out today and we laid it up on the roof, it looks too blue/grey to me. He is saying he thinks the desert tan will be TOO tan/too bright. SO I am stuck with what too do.

I was looking online at other brands of shingle like GAF, IKO and certainteed…I like IKO’s colors better…Not sure about the GAF but at least the GAF is closer to what I am looking for color wise…

I am liking the IKO earthtone cedar, weatherwood and driftwood…They seem to be more brownish/tannish than grey.

But he says the OC is the better shingle…

I am so confused right now…

I dont want to get the roof done and then hate the color.

Is OC really that much better than the IKO or GAF?

I looked at Certainteed’s color lineup and it looks the same as the OC.

Would I be making a mistake in asking forthe IKO Cambridge East 30 year shingle?

Have been up all night stewing over this…he is bringing a bundle of the desert tan OC tomorrow for us to look at…that is the color I originally felt would work, but now I am thinking he may be right that it it going to be too bright…

Hello
I don’t know very much about IKO, I think they were available here for a while and I also liked the colors, but I don’t think they are available here anymore, but I can tell you that Certainteed, Elk/GAF are my top 2 brands and Owens Corning is about the worst shingle I have seen, you will probably get the same response from other replies. I would seriously question the credibility of ANY roofer who told me Owens Cornong made a superior roofing shingle.

[quote=“another roofing pro”]Hello
I don’t know very much about IKO, I think they were available here for a while and I also liked the colors, but I don’t think they are available here anymore, but I can tell you that Certainteed, Elk/GAF are my top 2 brands and Owens Corning is about the worst shingle I have seen, you will probably get the same response from other replies. I would seriously question the credibility of ANY roofer who told me Owens Cornong made a superior roofing shingle.[/quote]

I had 5 (?) quotes…and all of them preferred the Owes Corning… …ok , now I am even more confused.

If you are getting Owens Corning get the Durations, the Oakridges are not very good.
I thought they were discontinued…
IKO would be a poor choice also, they make a crap shingle.

GAF/Elk, Certainteed, or Tamko are the best shingles available in my area.
The Oakridges are probably on clearance.

All of them that recommended the OC shingle were recommending the Oakridge.

Geezuz.

I grow more frustrated an confused.

I have been trying tosearch the net and basically some people say OC is crap overall, somesay IKO are crap, some say Certainteed are crap, some say GAF are crap…

Then others say OC is the best, some say Certainteed is the best, some say IKO is fine, others say GAF are fine.

:cry:

What is a poor consumer to do…

I nailed Owens Corning shingles for years and never had a problem with them but to each their own…

Shingle manufacturers are very regional for some reason which is why all your contractors are using OCs.

If you are willing to upgrade your shingles and spend a little more money you should look at the Certainteed TL Ultimates. They have unique color choices in that shingle line. Old Overton or Shenandoah colors sound like the type of thing you’re looking for.

IKO has a very poor quality reputation amongs “Most” contractors.

Owens Corning suffers a poor reputation for two reasons. They have previously flooded the market with a very low quality lighter weight shingle for years, which caused an earned poor reputation for their quality.

Some use them and stand by them. I don’t. I think the contractors in your area selling that brand, is because they are a discounted price shingle, which means that they make more profit by selling that brand over the Certainteed or the GAF/Elk shingles.

I personally like Tamko Heritage as my number one shingle and Certainteed Landmarks as a very close number two choice.

OC, GAF/Elk and Certainteeds websites all have a visualization softeare online, which uses about 12-16 basic design template homes, which you can play with on the computer and change the color of all of the exterior accents and roof shingle styles and colors, which would allow you to simulate what your home would look like.

Also, with some of them, you can submit a digital photo of your actual home and they will use your actual home and depict various colors and styles for you, but there is a small fee for that service.

Ed

I would agree with tar monkey on the certainteed TL ultimate they are also a very durable shingle!!

Here are the links for the visualization softwares.

Ed

This is Certainteeds Shingle Roof Visual Designer
certainteed.com/CertainTeed/ … Visualize/

This is GAF/Elks Shingle Roof Visual Designer
gafelk.chameleonpower.com/defaul … +Designing

This is Ownes Cornings Shingle Roof Visual Designer
exteriorfx.owenscorning.com/exte … Welcome.do

This is a generic version that you can use too
revisionpro.com/revisionpro-admin/

I would recommend CertainTeed. Go to thier website and take advantage of the colorview program. it will alow you to virtually see every dolor of shingle on your house. if you like the IKO earthtone cedar then look at the CertainTeed Resawn Shake. Owens Corning is an ok shingle imo. I would howver recommend the duration over the oakridge. They oakridge is now obsolete due to the duration which is an improvement of the oakridge.

GAF/ELK
CERTAINTEED

THESE ARE YOUR TOP TWO MANUFACTURERS. CERTAINTEED HAS MORE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS, BUT THAT IS MAINLY WITH CERTAIN SHINGLE TYPES THAT ARENT AS COMMON AS LANDMARK DIMENSIONALS. I PERSONALLY HAVE BETTER DEALINGS WITH GAF/ELK, BUT THAT IS A REGIONAL ISSUE.

OWENS CORNING IS NOT VERY GOOD. THE REGULAR OAKRIDGE SERIES CAN BE BOUGHT FROM ANY LOWES STORE. DURATION SERIES SHOULD BE BETTER, BUT THEY ARE NOW HAVING ISSUES WITH THE SPECIAL “SURE NAIL” STRIP BECOMING DELAMINATED.

TAMKO IS NOT VERY GOOD ON 3-TABS, BUT HERITAGE ISNT A HORRIBLE SHINGLE. TAMKO WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HEAP UNTIL ATLAS AND IKO STARTED MAKING MORE NOISE IN THE MARKET.

ATLAS HAS BEEN BOUGHT/SOLD RECENTLY, AND HAS NEVER OFFERED A GOOD PRODUCT. THEY CLAIM THEIR STANDARD DIMENSIONAL IS A 35 YEAR SHINGLE, BUT IT WEIGHS LESS THAN MOST COMPANIES 25YR 3-TAB.

IKO IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST SHINGLE ON THE MARKET. THEY ARE ONE OF THE ONLY MANUFACTURER’S THAT WILL ACTUALLY SELL FACTORY DEFECT SHINGLES (SHINGLES THAT DONT MEET TOLERANCE, IRREGULAR CUTS, ETC).

[quote=“ed the roofer”]Here are the links for the visualization softwares.

Ed

This is Certainteeds Shingle Roof Visual Designer
certainteed.com/CertainTeed/ … Visualize/

This is GAF/Elks Shingle Roof Visual Designer
gafelk.chameleonpower.com/defaul … +Designing

This is Ownes Cornings Shingle Roof Visual Designer
exteriorfx.owenscorning.com/exte … Welcome.do

This is a generic version that you can use too
revisionpro.com/revisionpro-admin/[/quote]

Thanks Ed! These helped.

Althogh I could not find the same type of house as ours with the same colors we already have, we were able to get close enough to see the differences I think.

We ended up going with the OC Oakridge dsert Tan. Lokks very much like our current colr except it is an arch. style shingle…TheDuration is nice, but it was more money…on OCs site, they dont really list thedifferences bewteen the Oakridge and the the plain Duration…the duration Premium has a lifetimewarranty and you pay extra for it,…The Oakrdige has a 30 year/5 yr, and seems to be the favorite with the contractors in my area.

It is not on clearance anywhere as suggested by some…It is still very much a current product according to the folks at Lowes I talked to …

I did a search online andfoound about thesame number of complaints against certainteed, GAF, IKO, etc etc as for OC in general…The BBB shows oC as the better comapny, with no unresolved complaints and fewer product complaints…

I guess I will cross my fingers… LOL :smiley:

My number one choice in laminates is the Landmark line.

Did a couple of the Shanandoah color and here’s a link to a rooftop pic of that roof,
home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho … 0602HqKMdm

The price back then was around $90 per square now the price is $125 per square.

The Landmark Premium is also a good line.

Thats a nice look…who makes Landmark?

Seems like all the manufacturers have the warrantees on their shingles…

I ended up going with OC Oakridge based on the fact that all the conractors around here seemto prefer them…and I have known the OC brand for decades…

ALthough I have to admit I am still confused…

I found some stuff on the web that indicates there is an OC “Oakriodge PRO” shingle…40 and 50 year warranties…whereas their main site shows just a regular Oakridge at 30 years…I know Lowes carries the Oakridge PRO…I assumed that the “pro” label was just another gimic…kind of like a store putting their own mark on an item when it is the same as the standard version…

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]GAF/ELK
CERTAINTEED

THESE ARE YOUR TOP TWO MANUFACTURERS. CERTAINTEED HAS MORE CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS, BUT THAT IS MAINLY WITH CERTAIN SHINGLE TYPES THAT ARENT AS COMMON AS LANDMARK DIMENSIONALS. I PERSONALLY HAVE BETTER DEALINGS WITH GAF/ELK, BUT THAT IS A REGIONAL ISSUE.

OWENS CORNING IS NOT VERY GOOD. THE REGULAR OAKRIDGE SERIES CAN BE BOUGHT FROM ANY LOWES STORE. DURATION SERIES SHOULD BE BETTER, BUT THEY ARE NOW HAVING ISSUES WITH THE SPECIAL “SURE NAIL” STRIP BECOMING DELAMINATED.

TAMKO IS NOT VERY GOOD ON 3-TABS, BUT HERITAGE ISNT A HORRIBLE SHINGLE. TAMKO WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HEAP UNTIL ATLAS AND IKO STARTED MAKING MORE NOISE IN THE MARKET.

ATLAS HAS BEEN BOUGHT/SOLD RECENTLY, AND HAS NEVER OFFERED A GOOD PRODUCT. THEY CLAIM THEIR STANDARD DIMENSIONAL IS A 35 YEAR SHINGLE, BUT IT WEIGHS LESS THAN MOST COMPANIES 25YR 3-TAB.

IKO IS ABSOLUTELY THE WORST SHINGLE ON THE MARKET. THEY ARE ONE OF THE ONLY MANUFACTURER’S THAT WILL ACTUALLY SELL FACTORY DEFECT SHINGLES (SHINGLES THAT DONT MEET TOLERANCE, IRREGULAR CUTS, ETC).[/quote]

You may think IKO is bad,but BP’s are way worse.No quality control at all.