Sheathing

when applying new 4 x 8 sheething over my original deck which is 1 x 12 pine or fir, do the ends have to but always at the rafters as if they were the only decking, or can they just land anywhere? also what are proper nails and nailing pattern? thanks

The nailing pattern can be found on www.norboard.com, a supplier of decking material. Basically, it’s a nail every six inches along the edge, every twelve inches on the interior over the studs.

ring shank 8’s with 1/8" gap between sheets

thanks guys, so is it ok to let the ends run wild over the original decking?

Gross…at least use coarse thread screws, not nails.

Hi,

Yes the plywood does not land on rafters.

If you want to use those ring shank 8’s. I’m not sure if there is a gun that shoots those but if they are hand-nails then the best way to nail them in is with a palm nailer. One of the coolest tools really. I like that they shoot pretty much any standard hand nail.

my bostich framers shoot the ring 8’s

The framing nailer will be way faster.

the bostitch framing nailers i’m finding can’t use a nail less than 2". that’s going to leave quite a bit of protrusion. I guess that’s not a problem? also by the looks of the ring 8’s, when applying 7/16" sheathing not that much of the ring section will land in the deck.

Hi,

Hit rafters with most of the nails. You should be able to hit most of the rafters.

i havent had a problem

Always hit a beam!! the nails will pull out when the plywood curls from humidity changes. NAIL EVERY SIX INCHES ON THE PERIMETER. DO IT NICE OR DO IT TWICE.

you mean always hit a beam with nails, or with the ends of the panels?

NO MATTER WHAT YOUR DOING EVERYTHING HITS THE BEAM. THE NAILS AND THE ENDS!!FAST IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT.

We staple the crap out of 'em and use 1 1/2" roofing nails w/ the shingles.
We try to stay with the rafters— it’s not difficult to do. And hit 'em w/ an 8 at least on the edges