Sealing errant nails

Every once in a while my Bostitch gun shoots a double nail or bends the nail. It also shoots crooked every once in a while. I really don’t want to pound the nail in if it is going in at a horrible angle. If it is just bent at the top, I usually just pull it out and replace it with a new nail in the same hole. I then cover it with roofing cement. I was wondering what is the best way to cover these holes. I would think it would be to leave the nail in the hole and cover it with cement. I guess I could also cover the hole with cement without the nail and it would bond to the shingle above it. All of the holes are covered by the shingle overlap.

if you pull a nail oput and put another in its place, what holds it in place??

Dunno man, my Estwing doesn’t shoot crooked nails.

It doesn’t go all the way through the sheathing. It just bends the top half of the nail. It does go through the shingles though. That is why I plug it with a nail. Are you saying it is better to just leave the nail out and cover the hole with cement?

Spank Monkey - any reason why you use a hammer instead of a nailgun (when you did roofs way back when)? - seems like that would be alot more work, which would result in less roof completed by the end of the day! If it is because of quality and accuracy or cost of a gun? - couldn’t someone do a quality job with a gun! btw, janies got a gun!

Spank Monkey - any reason why you use a hammer instead of a nailgun (when you did roofs way back when)? - seems like that would be alot more work, which would result in less roof completed by the end of the day! If it is because of quality and accuracy or cost of a gun? - couldn’t someone do a quality job with a gun! btw, janies got a gun!

Ok Semenspitter, I could list the reasons why I hand nail and FYI I’m not that old. But I really don’t feel like catering to anymore dumbasses today, try again tomorrow. Ktnxbye.

I do it both ways. Depends on what type of shingle is being used.

As far as all the little names dont you guys think it is a little childish and other do see this rubbish?

I was taught to always return what was given me ten fold. /shrug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Ys0J4rvFQ)

Hey Bread. Get yourself a real roofing gun, Bostich is not intended for serious roofing. get a Hitachi.
Hand nailing went out with the dinosaurs if your in this to make money.

[quote=“RooferJ”]Hey Bread. Get yourself a real roofing gun, Bostich is not intended for serious roofing. get a Hitachi.
Hand nailing went out with the dinosaurs if your in this to make money.[/quote]

all we use are bostich rn46b and all work 100% daily

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

[quote=“RooferJ”]Hey Bread. Get yourself a real roofing gun, Bostich is not intended for serious roofing. get a Hitachi.
Hand nailing went out with the dinosaurs if your in this to make money.[/quote]

all we use are bostich rn46b and all work 100% daily[/quote]

Marshall

Do you ever get a crooked nail every once in a while for no reason. It seems like I put the nail gun in the same position, but the nail goes in at a slight angle. It isn’t horrible or anything. I do get bad angled nails as well though. I would buy a Hitachi nail gun if it shoots straigher.

Hi,

It is not the gun.

It is the nails.

I was told the same thing by someone else. I went and bought a box of Bostitch nails. It definitely cut down on jamming. I still get the crooked nail here and there though. Most of them are slightly crooked. I can’t even tell that they are crooked while standing up.

get a Hitachi gun and compare the difference. It is possible you could get a bad batch of nails though.

This one time at band camp…I got a bad batch of nails for my Estwing…

nail to low, nail to high, nail in a crack, nail rusting, nail backing up, nail not there, nail needs pulled, nail needs bulled.

gods have sayins,

me bein one of those,
i say this.

“do not worry about the nail,
for it is the easiest to fix”.

i have spoken.

gweedo.

[quote]
It is not the gun.

It is the nails.[/quote]

Coil nails are colleted in different places.
Look at your nails, there are 2 wires that hold them together that is the collet.
My Hitachis don’t like nails that are colleted at the top, it causes the nail to feed into the chamber at an angle, sometimes it loads 2 nails into the chamber at once…
If the nail is not loaded into the chamber so as to be square with the driver it will shoot crooked.
Sometimes the generic nails are not adequately welded to the collet, this causes the nail to break free of the wire collet as the feed pawl feeds it into the chamber, the result will be frequent jams and crooked nails.
Sometimes the nails will break off in the feed mechanism and get caught behind the feed pawl, this can break the feed pawl spring.
If this happens your gun just won’t work right with any nails.

There is nothing wrong with generic nails, but the quality from one batch to another can vary widely.
While all the nail guns I own are Hitachi, I have found that Bostich makes a good nail gun that accepts a wider range of nails and still works correctly.

My advice to you is to first clean and check your nail guns.
Then look at where the wires on the nail are relative to the feed pawl, there should be a wire that is roughly in the middle of the nail and one above or below that.
My nail guns like the second wire to be below the middle of the nail, different brands of nail guns may work better with the second wire above the middle of the nail.

You will also have problems with coils that are bent, they don’t feed into the chamber properly.
Coils that are wound too tight can cause problems also.

To say “a nail is a nail” when referring to coil nails is just ignorant.
Roofing is rather simple but it does involve a degree of problem solving ability other jobs don’t.
You have recognized a problem, there are many different causes for this particular problem, identify which one or combination it is.

Hello,
Did you buy the Bostitch new or used ? If it was used then the driver could be worn on one edge. If that is the case then you will need to grind the driver smooth again. If it is a new gun then like others have said it is probably the nails.

Keith

Axiom, that was one of the best answers to ANY question I’ve seen on here in a long time (ither than threads I’ve answered… :)).

Tar Monkey - lose a big contract today?

Thank you Ranch hand.

I have had this problem with nails/nail guns on and off for years, it can be frustrating…
I recently had a batch of Pro fits that just plain wouldn’t work in my guns, any of them…
Roofboy brougt up something I overlooked, worn drivers.
A worn driver will shoot crooked nails also, if the driver is worn it will usually curl up one side of the nail head.
If you choose to grind the driver flat again you need to be careful not to get it too hot or the steel will lose its temper and can shatter.
Crooked nails also can result from the way you hold the gun, especially with older guns.
Water in the air lines can also make nail guns act kind of goofy.

Even with a new gun and good nails you will still get the occaisional crooked nail/misfeed, it is the nature of the coil fed beast.