Sanity Check on new roof install

I just wanted to get a sanity check on my first install of a roof (and sunroom addition at that too).

I’ve got a simple gable roof that’s a 5/12 pitch over a room that’s 20x16. I’ve got the drip edge installed and ice/water shield over that. Upwards from the ice/water shield, I’ve laid out (so far) two courses of felt overlapping about 4 inches.

That’s where I’ve left off. I’m ready to start shingling. I’m using Tamko Heritage 30 shingles and I have 2 starter packs (no tabs). The guy who sold them said they can be used for both a starter course and ridge caps. Here are some Q’s I have:

1. Just about everywhere I’ve read, they say to use a standard shingle and cut off the tabs to use as the starter course. Can I just use the ones from the starter pack without cutting them? Is there anything special to watch out for?

2. I am using step flashing, I’m assuming a piece of flashing will need to go under the starter course?

3. How do I cut the starters to use for the ridge? Just straight cuts? I’ve seen where some are cut at a angle toward the ends. I’m guessing this is to help laying down on the ridge better.

4. Do I need a drip edge along the rake? I don’t have an overhang (sorry, forgot the term) and there will just be a piece of trim under the gable end.

5. I will be installing a ridgemaster vent on the ridge. The total length of the ridge is 16 feet and I have three 4’ sections of ridgemaster to install. I’ve read through everything on installing it, but was wondering if there’s anything I should be watching out for when installing.

I don’t have any pics but can post them later if needed.

Appreciate any feedback/help.

Cheers,
John

1) Just about everywhere I’ve read, they say to use a standard shingle and cut off the tabs to use as the starter course. Can I just use the ones from the starter pack without cutting them? Is there anything special to watch out for?

You should be fine either way.

2) I am using step flashing, I’m assuming a piece of flashing will need to go under the starter course?

I’ve seen people go both over and under the starter course. I’ve always gone under myself.

3) How do I cut the starters to use for the ridge? Just straight cuts? I’ve seen where some are cut at a angle toward the ends. I’m guessing this is to help laying down on the ridge better.

You can cut 3-tab shingles on a slight angle. It’s for asthetics.

4) Do I need a drip edge along the rake? I don’t have an overhang (sorry, forgot the term) and there will just be a piece of trim under the gable end.

Some people like drip edge up the rake edge but IMO it’s not needed.

**5) I will be installing a ridgemaster vent on the ridge. The total length of the ridge is 16 feet and I have three 4’ sections of ridgemaster to install. I’ve read through everything on installing it, but was wondering if there’s anything I should be watching out for when installing. **

Nothing I can think of offhand. If you’ve read the installation instructions you should be good to go.

Thanks TM!

ditto monkey,
except i like a strait cut ridge.
looks thicker.

2 cuts instead of 6.

gweedo

3) How do I cut the starters to use for the ridge?

Am I missing something here guys? I’ve never heard of using a starter strip as ridge cap. Maybe this is some sort of product that’s not available here in Central Texas, dunno.

IMO, if a starter was used as ridge cap then you’d end up with the adhesive open / visible. Am I wrong here?

It appears as though the “starters” are just 3 tabs…

[quote="-Axiom-"]

It appears as though the “starters” are just 3 tabs…[/quote]

From his post:

That’s what made me think it was starter & not 3T’s as Hip / Ridge Cap.

Hello,
Some dimensional shingle come with perforated cap. You have to bend it at the perfs. An unbroken piece can be used as a bleeder course.

Keith

Yes in fact the starter bundle was indeed just some 3-tabs. I thought it was a set of starter shingles. Sorry for the confusion.

The roof looks good. I just have to put on the cap shingles on top of the ridge vent. Just cutting them from the 3-tab bundle.

Thanks for all the help.