"Rusty" looking 30 yr

First of all, I am very aware that this thread is useless without photos.

I forgot to take my digital with me on the roof & was running late to get outta there…

Here’s the situation:

Friday, I went into a neighborhood where I had done a lotta hail damaged replacements 3 years ago. Customer X said “sure, go look…” no hail, however his shingles were looking rusty on about 60% of them.

Atlas Pinnacle, Surf Blue (custom order, took us about 3 weeks to get product in). I’m not sure what’s up with that & it’s not consistent to ALL shingles, just in patches that make me think some shingles got mixed in from production lots.

Where the “rust” looking color is on the shingles varies; some have it across the entire shingle whereas others have it ONLY on the ‘shadow’ (base) portion with the dimensional / top laminate being OK. Again, these are 3 year old shingles & there shouldn’t be any really observable discoloration. My first thought is an early attempt @ an AR shingle that went wrong @ the factory?

I mentioned it to the customer (who was on the way out & didn’t have a lot of time to chat) & then I called the area rep who in turn rolled me to the 800 # for Atlas’s customer relations dept… left a message with them & will try again on Monday if I don’t hear back.

Anyone have experience with this issie on ANY mfg., much less Atlas? Yeah, I’m sure this is going to bring out the Atlas haters… save it. Need real answers here.

Oh, & BTW - I sold the job while working for another co. & am an independant these days. If it rolls to the installing co. to file / dig into, I suppose I shold let it go to them for service, however I wouldn’t mind doing the reinstall with Atlas paying the bills.

Hi,

It is an Atlas shingle problem. If I remember correctly they used some iron chips with the ceramic.

Be firm with the outside sales rep from Atlas that you need this rectified. They will pay the bill but you have to push.

Well, we (finally!) got all the details sorted out on the warranty claim & I UPS’d off two shingle samples to Atlas.

Here’s a few photos of the roof showing the issue:

I’ve got a lot more, but these really are 'bout all you need to see. I’ll keep this thread updated as new info comes in (hopefully Atlas will move this along & make their determination within 2 weeks or so).

Moderator if you come across this thread & have the ability, feel free to move it over to the “Roofing Business” tab.

Ranch, can tell you about 2 jobs we did in Florida with shasta white Owens Corning 3-Tab. About 6 months after install, shingles had rust lines and patches in different areas. We took pictures and 2 samples and sent to factory, 1 month later we were doing a new roof again fully paid by Owens. They claimed the stones were shipped in a dirty railcar that previously hauled scrap steel and wasn’t properly cleaned. Thats just an example for you, dont see any problem getting a rep. to replace a defective roof like that.

That makes sense.I don’t forsee any problems getting that roof replaced.

I appreciate the words of confidence. I’m wondering what Atlas is going to pay on this… maybe the same as the first replaced roof (it was an insurance job & I’d love to have that $$ again, but this time all profit to me vs. sharing with the co. I worked with / for @ the time of my first install).

Then again, the labor rate should be higher as compared to back then as rates have gone up across the board (will assume that they’re paying for new felt & hopefully a teardown to bare wood; I think there’s 3 layers of felt on it now, @ least two guaranteed).

I did complaint jobs on GAF’s materials in Houston for Action Roofing .There was a lot of the 30 year shingles during that time that had blisters .One thing I noticed was they used the 30 year double ridge on all 30 year archetectual shingles vs.the 25 year single 3-tab.

Just make sure your materials on the estimate are all Atlas products and will pass Atlas’s requirements.If the homeowner wants you to do the job I would think you would get it ,unless Atlas wants one of their master elite installers that only use their materials to do it.Sort of like the buddy system,you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours kinda thing.

Well, @ this stage of the process I’m 100% sure the customer will want me to do the work for the re-roofing because I have gone the extra mile to get this processed & approved for him. Heck, he didn’t even know there was an issue until I told him his roof was starting to rust.

Atlas only pays $ 40.00 to pull two shingles & install replacements… I’m sure I should get more than that.

BTW, what were you getting from GAF for total re-roofing vs. the general “market rate” that was common for the time?

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Well, @ this stage of the process I’m 100% sure the customer will want me to do the work for the re-roofing because I have gone the extra mile to get this processed & approved for him. Heck, he didn’t even know there was an issue until I told him his roof was starting to rust.

Atlas only pays $ 40.00 to pull two shingles & install replacements… I’m sure I should get more than that.

BTW, what were you getting from GAF for total re-roofing vs. the general “market rate” that was common for the time?[/quote]

I worked for a company as a sub,we were getting 10.00 off and 10.00 on in 1978-79.Now that I think about it ,it might have been 7 off and 7 on.

The company I worked for was one of their best customers who owned 2 tractor trailers and run their own shingles from the factory.

Even 30 years ago,GAF was strict on their requirements.Roofs had to be installed to their specifications,this included points to be cut and laps sealed on closed cut valley’s,double tabbed 30 year ridge ,and 4 nails per shingle.All shingles in texas was stairstepped on a 45 degree pattern,they wanted the archetechs staggered on a random pattern so they wouldn’t show a pattern.

In 1989 after Hugo hit charleston SC.,Masters Roofing sent me to the inspectors office at the navel weapons station with 3 bundles of 3-tab shingles to replace tabs all over the roof that had blown off.Alot were on the hips and ridge,it took me most of the day,my truck,my gas,they wrote me a check for 20.00 and said thats what it paid.

Hopefully ,that 40.00 will turn into more by getting the job.Hope you didn’t have to buy a bundle of shingles to get 2.Most places that you buy from will let you get a couple shingles out of a broken bundle for a situation like that.

Certainteed pays $50 to pull off two shingles. I charge the home owner if they go with some body else and let them keep the money if I do the roof.

Certainteed has a software for estimating roofs but have never thought about buying it with Xactimate already on my PC.

Gonna have a bunch of defective New Horizon roofs to do in the next few years so may buy the software just for the purpose of getting as much as possible from them on warranty claims. Thought it was $600 something but don’t recall for sure.

Does Atlas have a five year warranty on labor and materials?

My guess would be the shingle manufacturer is going to pay less than what the insurance company is paying.

Bush, I had two spare 30 year shingles to stick up there, so no need to grab a few leftovers from a trashed bundle. I know if I needed it they’d give me two 'cause I often get about 4 or 5 shingles from them in a few different colors just to give the customer a better idea of what they’ll look like “in field” vs. a single sample board piece.

Heck, on more than a few occasions, the guys in the yard have let me have a crapped out partial roll of felt when I was thin for various reasons. They say “if you wanna do a dumpster dive for it, KnockYerselfOut.”