Roofing over interlocking shingles

I have an 18 year old t-lock 4.5" pitch roof, shingles are laying fairly flat some missing granules (20%) and some moss which I plan to pressure wash off. Minor leaks from small holes in shingles have been repaired. I’m sure 3tabs will look awful but will roofing over with laminates look ok?

Needs to be tore off if there is some minor leaks so wood could be repaired. You will cut the life of your new roof in half if you don’t.

If you can’t afford to tear off the roof then don’t. If you can afford it you’d be crazy not too. I wouldn’t lay anything over that.

So much for lifetime roofs…

Because they are t-locs or the condition of the roof?

The plywood deck feels very solid still.

Also, it is very close to 4" pitch in some areas which makes me skeptical of using laminates vs. 3tabs

will roofing over with laminates look ok?

NO

Reroof - No way.

Just curious as to how you came up with %20 granular loss?

[quote=“RooferR”]Reroof - No way.

Just curious as to how you came up with %20 granular loss?[/quote]

Just a “guesstimate”, Here’s a closeup

Actually guys, his question was," will roofing over it with laminates look okay?" Never asked for the difference in longevity, or which would be a better roof. He simply asked if it would look ok. The answer is yes.Go over the entire deck with your coil nailer and shoot down any/all loose or curled shingles. A good 30lb. felt, cut back your gables, new nosing and BAM, you have a good roof. Just make sure that you watch your 30 lb. it will buckle on you in the morning. Roof over them and they will show forever…

That roof is too far gone to go over.
Tear off is required in this case.

Bad advice,tear off then shingle,laminates over t-loks you will see every bump when it settles…and it will look like crap. :mrgreen:

if your going to roof over…use t-loks again

[quote=“martik777”]I have an 18 year old t-lock 4.5" pitch roof, shingles are laying fairly flat some missing granules (20%) and some moss which I plan to pressure wash off. Minor leaks from small holes in shingles have been repaired. I’m sure 3tabs will look awful but will roofing over with laminates look ok?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qbrihh.jpg[/quote]

No way!! Most of the houses here have t-locks on them and some roofing companies have tried this and they look like hell. There will be too many voids between the two layers, even if you used an underlayment it will still be to uneven of a surface for the laminates to get a good seal.

[quote=“martik777”]

Because they are t-locs or the condition of the roof?

The plywood deck feels very solid still.

Awhich makes me skeptical of using laminates vs. 3tabslso, it is very close to 4" pitch in some areas [/quote]

You would be okay using laminates on a 4/12 or above unless your local code says different.

If you want it done done right and you want it to last and you want to get your moneys worth then you need to tear it off. Understand that when the shingles get hot they get soft. over time they will conform to the unevenness under them. In time the knew shingles will transparently show all of the voids under them.

Good luck at trying to find T-LOCKS. Tamko and oc quit
making them. Those were the two that were available here.

We still get them here…Canada,IKO still sells them here…although havent done a t-loc for years

IKO Armour-Lock 25
Emco-BP Tite-Lock 25

These two are still selling here in BC :mrgreen:

Those shingles are soooooo far gone that I would bet anything that the sheets are shot also… I would never recommend a layover on something that bad…I never go over anyway,but that is too far gone. I bet the lack of ventilation is the cause …
I put archs on my house with a 4/12 and they look fine… Tear off is not that much more , and I would not even consider a roofer that is wiling to go over that…
Location?

Iko and BP quit making T-Locks in July of 2008.Iko no longer makes organic shingles either.