Roofing Nail Punctures Freon Line - Whose at Fault?

[quote=“Agape”]

get a life. im here to stay, so get over it.

LMAO! you mean 2 years later, you arent gonna just up and leave because he said so? LOLOLOL[/quote]

? this make no sense big guy.

because the post he is referring to, you posted it 2 years ago.

just sayin’

The same thing happened to me 3 time last year in the same neighborhood. All of the were built by the same builder. One of the lines hit was a water line. it flooded the house. In that case the the water line was so tight to the decking that it touched. The homeowners insurance paid for it. The other I paid for. Now I have a clause in my contract for it. Lesson learned!!

In two of the cases I would not have been able to the lines even if I had looked for then as they were coming up through the exterior wall and hidden in insulation.

:roll: Its not your fault at all no line of ANY type should be against the decking, Its the homeowners

I tend to disagree broken the reason why is if you do not do an attic inspection thats your fault and problem not the home owners. Second if you play the not my problem game you look bad and there goes the referal thing right out the window. When i would sell and im now disabled anything my guys did was taken care of reguardless of price. I went thru the deck and straight thru the rafters and landed on a 4k dinning room table. Its was paid for and replaced to whatever the home owner wants. I will agree there shoule not be anything against the deck but if you look you can adjust it to not have that problem.

Ask ARC its called profit/loss.

Just happened to me this week. Put the roof on this winter. AC line comes up through the soffit. There should be a protective plate, but there wasn,t. The strange thing is that the AC guy says he can’t get the new line to go where the old one was. I’m going to take a few shingles off and pull up the piece of plywood so he can fix it and put a protective plate in. Not my problem, but I will help out my customer.

[quote=“gtp1003”]I tend to disagree broken the reason why is if you do not do an attic inspection thats your fault and problem not the home owners. Second if you play the not my problem game you look bad and there goes the referal thing right out the window. When i would sell and im now disabled anything my guys did was taken care of reguardless of price. I went thru the deck and straight thru the rafters and landed on a 4k dinning room table. Its was paid for and replaced to whatever the home owner wants. I will agree there shoule not be anything against the deck but if you look you can adjust it to not have that problem.

Ask ARC its called profit/loss.[/quote]

This doesn’t work for me. I have not had the luck of hitting a line yet, but you can’t really expect the roofer to be responsible for it. Who looks in every bay in the attic? You crawl around down at the eaves to check for lines? Some attics aren’t even accesible. 1k for a frion line ok, but flooding the whole house? I wou;ldn’t have that liability fall on me.

All you have to do is state in your terms and conditions that this type of damage is not your responsibility. If you don’t have conditions in your contracts, you should talk to an attorney and draw them up. Our contracts disclaim damage to most everything relating to the attic space. If they read the disclaimer they will either move items themselves or warn you of their existence. If they don’t read it or do not properly prepare for the roofer, they eat the cost of damage. It is not our responsiblity to know of hidden property that may be damaged.

i think you guys jinxed me!

I got a call at 11am today, and what do ya know… we hit an AC line. freon emptied immediately, and the customer called an HVAC guy… who quoted him $850!

thats for 5lbs of gas, and patching one small line, on a 1 story, attic accessible, basic roof.

now, knowing what i know, the damn $20 per lb gas should only be around $100-125 max, and a charge for an hour or two for labor.

$850? REALLY?

here are pics of where the dumbass AC guy ran the new line 15 years ago:

so i found a guy who will do it for $350.

but this is the LAST time i fix this for a customer. I will be printing a whole new form for every customer to sign on every deal that excludes me from this type of responsibility. im sick of it.

[quote=“Agape”]son of a bitch.

i think you guys jinxed me!

I got a call at 11am today, and what do ya know… we hit an AC line. freon emptied immediately, and the customer called an HVAC guy… who quoted him $850!

thats for 5lbs of gas, and patching one small line, on a 1 story, attic accessible, basic roof.

now, knowing what i know, the damn $20 per lb gas should only be around $100-125 max, and a charge for an hour or two for labor.

$850? REALLY?

but this is the LAST time i fix this for a customer. I will be printing a whole new form for every customer to sign on every deal that excludes me from this type of responsibility. im sick of it.[/quote]

Now if you drove that new car home from the dealership would you expect the AC would work when you got it home even if it was not itemized in the final invoice :). JK

When i was in the business every time. But i mad darn sure th job was right any how. how do you know the soffit is open with looking? Hence voiding the warranty of the shingles. you break its your baby unless you dont care about your customer period and can be avoided by looking in the attic period.Than you can put in contract not responsible if you want but me i made sure no matter what was damaged it was fixed its a morals thing not a money thing.

honestly, with this old man… even if it was in the contract, i probably would have still fixed it anyway.

:expressionless: True, But if its sealed he cant see it so it would’nt be his fault.

Its not your fault at all! Ive been thru this crap a couple times! Other trades arent suppose to fasten anything to the underside of the roof decking. Last summer I did a slate roof & we drove in a shitload of nails into that cheap flexable hvac ducts they run between the rafters/trusses, not our fault. Back in 1997 we were installing carlisle russ strip & put a shitload of screws thru fiber optic lines. Again sub contractors for the phone company fastened them inside the channels of the metal decking, not our fault again. However my father who owned the company back then let the customer put in a claim against us. I would never if it was up to me, but it was a big money maker of a roof & a good client of ours so; let the liability insurance cover it to secure future work thru that client.

This happened AGAIN to me today.

zero attic access, and the line was completely hidden, and looked nothing like the pics i posted earlier. looked like a normal install.

thanks to letting the customer know up front, and sign off on it, we were not responsible.

the AC guy had us remove some shingles, (at the homeowners expense) cut the decking, and he welded it up. they didnt want to pay him to move the line, so im sure its just gonna happen again with the next roof.

what a mess. apparently, most HVAC guys around here are complete idiots, and run lines up against the decking all the time.

This happened to me two weeks ago. I was having my roof replaced when one of the roofers nails hit my gas line. It was in the roofing companies contract that they were not responsible if this happened. The line that was hit was not visible in my attic because it was under my insulation.

I was told by the plumber that i paid to fix it that most of the lines that are getting hit (it seems that this is pretty common) are improperly installed. He said that no lines (a/c, gas etc.) are supposed to be within 6" inches from the underside of the roof deck.

Considering that the lines were not visible and were imprpoerly installed i don’t see how anyone could hold the roofer responsible.

My builder was not interested in helping me with the cost. Bottomn line is whoever was neglegent should be responsible. In my case that would have been the builder or the plumber who origionally installed the lines.

This happened to me two weeks ago. I was having my roof replaced when one of the roofers nails hit my gas line. It was in the roofing companies contract that they were not responsible if this happened. The line that was hit was not visible in my attic because it was under my insulation.

I was told by the plumber that i paid to fix it that most of the lines that are getting hit (it seems that this is pretty common) are improperly installed. He said that no lines (a/c, gas etc.) are supposed to be within " inches from the underside of the roof deck.

Considering that the lines were not visible and were imprpoerly installed i don’t see how anyone could hold the roofer responsible.

My builder was not interested in helping me with the cost. Bottomn line is whoever was neglegent should be responsible. In my case that would have been the builder or the plimber who origionally installed the lines.

I was told by the plumber that i paid to fix it that the lines that are getting hit (it seems that this is pretty common) are improperly installed. He said that no lines (a/c, gas etc.) are supposed to be within 6" inches from the underside of the roof deck. He also said that 99% of the lines that he is fixing for people could not have been seen with a visual inspection of the attic because they run under the insulation.

Considering that the lines were not visible and were imprpoerly installed i don’t see how anyone could hold the roofer responsible. The roofers nails only protrude about 3/4 of an inch for goodnes sake. What kind of moron installs ANY LINE that close to a roof deck that will obviously have nails poking through it!

My builder was not interested in helping me with the cost. Bottomn line is whoever was neglegent should be responsible. In my case that would have been the builder or the plumber who origionally installed the lines.

[quote=“Agape”]i think you guys jinxed me!

$850? REALLY?

but this is the LAST time i fix this for a customer. I will be printing a whole new form for every customer to sign on every deal that excludes me from this type of responsibility. im sick of it.[/quote]

I realize this is an old post, just muddling through it- but these photos’s depict non vented soffits. Hence, no shingle warranty. If, if the soffit was replaced at time of roofing- it might have been obvious.
All our jobs sold are photo’d first. Any pre-exsting damage exposed (try to get the owner’s involved with the walk around and them in the photo never hurts. Up sell opportunity is addressed and soffit is an easy & profitable one and most folks want the upgrades- they just need to be asked/ informed of options. Every shingle manufacturer requires a vented attic… “Why buy a roof with no Warranty?” is the perfect pitch.

Oh, we’ve bought tires, fender paint, screens, gas grill (cheaper than buying the replacement glass cover), all while informing the owners of the mistake and paid from our pockets. Makes the whole process better from collecting to referrals to doing the right thing. We used to offer first 1-3 sheets decking replacement free- not we do it by the $3.50 sq. ft. and never a bark- people want it done right.

A contractor is responsible for what he does in the construction or repairing. This might be possible that you did good work but the material you chose was not good such that it caused damage.