Roofing install

Our roof in the standing shn

Yes oil canning is quite common on flat standing seam sheets (which you have). Its more noticeable with glossier colors.

Island roofing points are correct. It can be a product problem when it was cold rolled. Concealed fastener systems are less forgiving because of the flat span. I have had to remove sections of roofs because it was really bad. Different issues can cause this issue. Pushing or pulling of a panel, when trying to get straight. The deck not being on a straight plane. Slight hump will transfer to every sheet. You are going to have to see what the roofer has to say. I know this is hindsite, but I try to always sell flat panels with striations, which greatly diminish the chance. Professional roofers are aware of this issue and you never know until you start installing. Your runs are short, but that doesn’t diminish the possibilities. I did an office building last year that had 6ft, bronze, 26g upanels. 36ft in the air, on a two man lift, we couldn’t see the oil canning, but the ground guys caught it after about 7 panels instslled. The problem was the decking was not a smooth plane. In 6ft, there was 1/2" crown from construction. Pulled off the panels and added a half inch strip at the bottom. Panels were now relaxed and beautiful.
What I’m getting at is its either the panel, substrate or installer. If it bothers you, ask for a 24g panel. Get one with slight striations. Sometimes, it just happens.

I personally warn the customer beforehand that oil canning is possible with this profile of roofing. I’ll show them pics of what it looks like and how likely I think it will be to occur (length of panels, substrate, ect). And after that if they choose it and there is oil canning i am not responsible.

I think this happens with Most standing seam roofing without striations.
Striations( if i am spelling that right)are extra bends in the sheet that are there to combat this exact cosmetic “issue”

You have a totally completely flat piece of metal
Covering a not completely flat surface.
A sheeting fastener not flush could cause this
Or the sheeting itself.

This isnt the snap loc standing seam metal system which would have also helped hide this “issue”.

It is the clip system.
So you can see where the panel
Is slightly stretched over every clip.

Now all that said, what is the best roofing material made in the world?
What you have! The guage, the style, color
Pretty much everything.
Its only slight downfall is it doesnt have the additional striations to help hide the oil canning.

The clip system is much stronger than the snap loc system but oil canning is more prominent.

Oil canning is not cause for rejection. Every metal manufacturer will tell you that. Architects know this. Contractors know this, as well. In all of the standing seam metal roofs we do, be it 24-ga. Kynar or standing seam copper, oil canning is explicitly mentioned as a very distinct possibility and excluded from any potential claim.

Metal expands and contracts with temperature changes at a different rate than the framing elements below it. The laws of physics apply to everyone; me included, as I have a portion of my own roof that is copper standing seam. My wife freaked out and told me I didn’t know what I was doing. She understands now. Winter time: no oil canning. Summer time: oil canning.

Put it this way, if you had known there was a distinct possibility that the end result would be what it is, what would you have chosen as an alternative?
Personally I’d have a roof in that material than I would shingles, oil canning or not.
The issue is more the case that you had not seen the possibility or what it would look like.
What you want to know is whether you got screwed…no you didn’t…so moving right along remember that this too shall pass.

I love how you come here to get a professional opinion. All of them tell you the same thing, but its not what you wanna hear so you still say its “shit work”. Their may be issues with the roof (its too far away to tell in the pics) but the oil canning is normal. I feel bad for the builder in this situation.

Roofers rarely have any issues bashing other roofers work. Trust me, if there was proof of an incorrect instillation no one would have had any issue telling you…but don’t listen to us cause you’ve got it all figured out. I’m assuming that the only reason you made this post was hoping to get the answers you wanted to hear (which was to not pay the roofer till it gets completely replaced) and use it against the builder. Anyway I have better things to do than argue with strangers online so won’t reply this this thread anymore. Stay cool my friend!

Correct interpretation is often difficult in forums of this type but Cooper3202’s comment that he would replace the metal roofing with asphalt shingles would, as suggested elsewhere, be a retrograde step. Most residential dwellings are designed for a 50-year lifespan, but in the case of asphalt shingles, you’re going to have to replace the roof covering after 20, 25, or 30 years. Some homeowner insurers in my state are now declining coverage for homes with asphalt shingle roofs 20 years and older and that in turn can mean problems for homeowners with an outstanding mortgage or when trying to sell a home. In America I know we do the best of everything but in Europe, it would be considered insane to install a roof covering that was only going to last a fraction of the life of the rest of the building’s shell. In some locations there, asphalt shingles don’t meet fire code requirements because of their flame spread characteristics. And don’t forget that behind the scenes, the oil industry continues to lobby heavily for asphalt shingles because the product utilizes that component of crude that remain after the more valuable ones have been distilled out. One last thing: the wind impact resistance of asphalt shingles is poor compared to other roof coverings. If I lived in a hurricane-prone region, choice of roof covering would be a no-brainer–standing seam metal on a plywood substrate (as opposed to OSB) every time.

I place asphalt shingles in the cheap and cheerful category but manufacturers have done a wonderful marketing job aided by profit-hungry housing developers so that the public has bought into the product hook, line and sinker. If Cooper3202 continues to be distressed by the cosmetic appearance of his metal roofing, I would suggest he check out the manufacturers’ association standards to obtain another view of what industry expectations are for the product. A “windshield” tour of his locality checking out other installations might also be helpful.