Roofing Hail Damage

I bought a commercial building with a sloped roof and fiberglas, 3 tab shingles. After purchasing the property, I noticed that there were some indentations in the roofing. I had a roofer come by and he said that it was hail. I notified my insurance carrier and they sent out an adjuster. He said that he wasn’t sure when the damage occurred. He had an engineer come out and this guy said he could make an educated guess as to the time hail damage occurred, but that it would be just a reasonable guess. I am wondering if there is someone who can test a sample of my roof and give us a reliably accurate date of when it was damaged by Hail? Are there consultants who can do this through some scientific method? If so, where would I look to find one of these?

Lubbock, Texas

to be honest i can not say i have ever heard of anyone trying to make an educated guess on damages to shingles. Im not sure with any certainty it can be done. I wish you luck on this, it is unknown territory for me. Wish i could help you out more.

Go to one of your local weather sites and dig in there for awhile and see the dates of when it hailed in your area. Then see when the roof was installed. You should be able to get close. But to me, this is one of the reasons insurance is so high.

Is the roof leaking?

How come this wasn’t found when the inspections of the building were done at time of the purchase?

Isurance rates will never come down when there are claims like this. If I was the insurance carrier, I would pay a dime. :evil:

Little late now, but bringing in the insruance company as a first option was probably not a good idea. Almost all companies subscribe to the CLUE, which is a data exchange that tracks claims history. Your name/property is usually added to that data whether a claim is paid or not…just an inquiry can have you posted. It affects not only your future rate but possibly future insurability.

Jackson

Little late now, but bringing in the insruance company as a first option was probably not a good idea. Almost all companies subscribe to the CLUE, which is a data exchange that tracks claims history. Your name/property is usually added to that data whether a claim is paid or not…just an inquiry can have you posted. It affects not only your future rate but possibly future insurability.

Jackson

I can tell you that a good roofing consultant can determine whether the damage is from hail or not, but will not be able to give you a timeline. You will need to do some investigating of your own regarding the local weather. You may want to start with the airport or weatherman at one of the television stations to determine when the last time it hailed in your area.