Roofing Estimates

We need to replace our current asphalt shingle roof, and would like to do it prior to the vinyl siding installation.

The siding contractor gave us an estimate of $7100 for:

Full rip off of current two layers of shingles, Tamko Heritage 30 year dimensional shingles, Ice Shield, new flashing and vent pipe flanges, remove existing attic fan and repair opening, install Cobra ridge vent, $55 for each plywood sheet that might need replacing.

We then got an estimate of $5900 from another contractor for:
Full rip-off, GAF Timberline 30 year shingles with Timbertex hip and ridge capping system (dimensional), ice shield, 30 lb roofing felt, replace all flashing and flanges, install four IR 65 passive roof vents, replace existing attic fan with GAF Master Flow attic fan.

Obviously there is a big difference in the cost of the estimates but I need to know if that cost is indicative of a significant difference in the quality of materials as well or are both proposals similar in quality?

Your big money difference is not going to come in the form of materials in most cases, it will be from quality of workmanship and overhead. Maybe the cheaper guy has no insurance? Maybe the more expensive guy has been losing at the dog track? You need to research the companys and get referrals. Can’t really understand where a person gets their price by reading their material list.

both come highly recommended but the lower priced quote comes from one whose main business is roofing/construction and who does his own work. It is my understanding that the higher quote company subcontracts the roof work.

both come highly recommended but the lower priced quote comes from one whose main business is roofing/construction and who does his own work. It is my understanding that the higher quote company subcontracts the roof work.

In that case I’d guess that the price difference is his profit off the top. I always advise 3 quotes.

if you like the guy who is doing your siding
than be honest with him and tell him
you got a bid for 6000 and coulld he do it
for 6500.

gweedo.

The higher priced guy has delivered more functional specifications and has not threatened your attic environment by short circuiting the attic ventilation flowage as did the second lower priced contractor.

I typically do not like jobs that are subcontracted, because my main concern is that the sub crew is only there to see how fast they can get done with as many short cuts that would go unnoticed as possible.

In this case, I would recommend that the contractor who is “Only” providing the static air vents in conjunction with the Powered Attic Ventilator, should learn more about proper ventilation as how it pertains to the longetivity of the roofs life cycle.

Present the proper specification to the contractor who has his own crew install the products instead of subbing them out and require him to upgrade to the proper ventilation specifications, without short-circuiting the attic ventilation flowage.

Ed

The attic fan could have been on a different slope.

Where is the intake ventilation diagnosis?

Ask both contractors to do a ventilation calculation for you. Ridge vent is the best way to vent most roofs, unless there isnt much ridge line or it is a shed roof.

So, I dont like either of the quotes.

Sub contracting doesnt necessarily mean inferior workmanship.

A large company that has hourly employee can lose their arse with bidding a job, whereas a sub-contractor’s pay is much more cost controllable. Id take a reputable company that uses sub-contractors (a company that has a quality control/project manager) over a “chuck in a truck single man operation” any day!

Its hard to tell how good the prices are and we definatly can not tell how good of work the contractors are going to do. So lets stick with what we can control.

Size of the roof in contractors quotes. # of squares?
Pitch of roof would help aswell (quoted) #/12 pitch?
To make sure we are comparing apples to apples…

$55 dollars a sheet of plywood is a bit much but not outragous (make sure the contractor takes pictures of wood before and after it is replaced…unless you want to take their word for it.
Get References…and check them (over 2 years old would a good idea)

Powered ventilation will always ventilate better than static ventilation. Proper ventilation will increase the life of your roof.

My .02