Roofing Estimates

when asking for roofing proposals, what level of detail, should I, as a customer, expect?

From a customer perspective what should be in the bid?

Should I ask for specific materials lists? Labor vs. material costs? I’ve read here that certainteed is a preferred brand by many, should I specify that that be the brand that is used? Should i ask for good/better/best proposals (different materials options)?

I am new to this and want to know what a knowledgable customer should ask for.

1. Licensure, insurance, workman’s comp (as required by your city / county / state, anyhow). Call the supposed insurer to verify coverage & make sure they know it’s a roof & not “general construction” going on.

2. Permits are to be pulled (if required) by the contractor & not you. If YOU pull the permit, then YOU are liable for any defects in workmanship as far as the permitting board is concerned.

3. Estimate should spell out what kind of products are being used, HOW they are being used (if that’s particular to your region, i.e. 6 nails per shingle vs. 4, etc) & not just “drip edge” but “DL drip edge” if that’s what you want… because there is a difference in products. The contract could state just “drip edge” where the rep showed you something different than what went up.

4. Specifics on what the costs will be in the event “hidden damage” is found.

5. Guarantees as far as labor terms, specific terms as to whether there is pro-rated time frames, etc.

One thing is certain: A BASIC roof estimate in itself is not a complicated thing. Coming up with a “price” should not be too hard for about anyone familiar with a building or a house. In fact, I would venture to say that is how we end up w/ so many losers in this profession. Although it is odd that so many of these clowns need to see someone elses’s price to come up with their own price.

Understanding the logisitics of the job, the products, the building problems and the customers issues and the challenges inherent in any project is what makes the difference, with a professional bid looking out for the customers best interest.

No quantities of materials need to be had. If you are comfortable with the contractor and his price. What does it matter if he profits $500 or $10,000? He is working on the most expensive thing you will ever buy.

If you feel something is fishy, why would do you want them to be a part of protecting your investment? If he has not enough or to much materials. You are paying for the job as a whole, not just his geometry.