Roofing cost

I was wondering how much it will cost replace roof in Kirkland WA area for 1980 sq. ft. house. 30 year comp.

$25k

OK website. The homepage is not very exciting. Whoever installs your roof don’t use any of the roofing supplies that you sell on your website (mostly the skylights). Make sure they come from a professional roofing supply house because you get what you pay for.

The best way to find your cost is of course to contact several local companies and make them compete. The more firm estimates the better. You should also get these for free. If any of your local companies charge for estimates, just pass and opt for free ones. This will give you a good idea of your final costs. Be sure to explain any special requests or concerns once you choose a company. It’s always best to pay for a reputable company in your local area in case of future problems. There are many fly by night companies in this industry and you should be aware paying a little extra for a reputable company usually pays off if problems arise later. A standard workmanship warrenty is usually at least two years.

Hi,

What is wrong with paying for an roof evaluation and proposal? You may be choosing not to use the best roofer by passing on someone who charges.

What is wrong with getting one price?

Someone who is gives free estimates has the cost built into the roof price. Most give free ones. So if the roofer you choose gave you a free estimate, then you paid for other estimates he gave but did not charge the respective homeowners.

Those that want a small fee, you only pay for yours.

I realize roofing practices and routines vary from region to region but it has been my experience that a roofing company that needs to charge for estimates is not solid financially. I’ve worked for several reputable companies including my family business…none have ever charged for estimates commercial or residential. However, if you find a large scale company with a good reputation that charges a minimal fee for estimates, I suppose it is fine.

HI,
I disagree with free estiamtes. Though my company does give free estimates(and because our competitors do). However there is nothing free in this world. What really burns me about free estimates is the fact that we do our estimates in home and on site. We as contractors spend our time and money going to the jobsite at thier convenience to give them a free estimate. Where as if i wanted to have my truck painted I go to thier store front at my convenience and they give me a free estimate. I’d like to know who ever satarted this so called free estimate lie.

Hi,

Why does it need to be a large scale company?

Why does it have to be a minimal fee?

I know small company’s that charge a fee. You will get a first class job from them. You can pass them by and then call me to fix the roof you got from the free estimate. It will be more then they charge.

Saying that companys who offer free estimates do lesser work than those that charge is just ignorant. See the thing is that if you’re good and have the reputation you will close most of your proposals which makes the “free” estimate pay for itself. If you’re so unconfident that you’re not going to get the work that you need to nickle and dime people from the get go and charge for estimates, well I guess that’s your business, lol. Don’t tell me your work is better than mine just because you charge for estimates though because that logic is flawed.

I would also agree with that logic as well. If you start charging for estimates your cost per lead will increase because many homeowners won’t pay for estimates.A contractor will need to generate more leads to off set the fall out of customers who won’t schedule with you. You will need to increase your marketing budget which will increase your overhead.

Hi,

Who said that roofing contractors that do not charge for estimates do inferior work???

One of the first things I learned was that it is stupid for a contractor to put in writing “Free Estimates” you do so at your own discretion after you qualify your lead. some as is realtors or people home shopping can and should be charged a consultants fee. A good roofing professional should also be a qualified roof consultant and time is money. The chumps will give there time away as there really is no value in it anyway.

**"Hi,

Who said that roofing contractors that do not charge for estimates do inferior work???"**

Hi,

You did.

“I know small company’s that charge a fee. You will get a first class job from them. You can pass them by and then call me to fix the roof you got from the free estimate…”

Realtors are a different story. They are worse than vultures. I started charging them for my services a few years ago because most of those leads were dead ends. The calls were relentless with inspect this quote that all for free.The kicker was this one realtor said my quote could be a “deal killer” and wanted me to lie to to prospective buyer. Now I charge them for my inspections and if they want an estimate I always find out who the potential buyer is so I know what they are looking for in a roofing system. If they don’t tell me the potential buyers name I charge the realtor for the estimate.

HI, FIRST OFF I GIVE FREE ESTIMATES BECAUSE YOU LOSE TO MANY CHANCES AT BIDS IF YOU DON’T THAT’S JUST MY EXPERCIENCE. I NEVER SAY “IT’LL PAY FOR ITSELF” IF I DON’T “NICKEL AND DIME A JOB” AS YOU CALL IT THEN I LOSE PROFIT. IF I DON’T INCLUDE THE PRICE OF MY TIME AND EXPENSES FOR THE ESTIMATE IN MY PRICE THEN I LOSE PROFIT. IF I DO SOMETHING FOR NOTHING THEN I LOSE PROFIT. I WILL NEVER JUDGE THE INTERGRITY OF A COMPANY OFF OF WETHER OR NOT THEY CHARGE FOR ESTIMATES. I THINK THAT’S RIDICULOUS. WETHER YOUR GOOD OR NOT WETHER YOU HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION OR NOT DOESN’T MEAN EVERY CUSTOMER WILL KNOW OF YOU OR YOUR COMPANY. SO I APPROACH EVERY ESTIMATE AS IF THE CUSTOMER DOESN’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY COMPANY.

with the economy the way it is rite now.
you should be able to get 20 sq done for under ten
grand. round here you can get it done for 4 grand.

gweedo.

Hi Tar Monkey,

If you follow what I was responding to. I was responding to a post that stated. “do not hire anyone that charges for an estimate. As they are finacially unstable.”

This is a lie. I was just telling the home owner this was not true.

Quite a controversy about free estimates in here. Look, all I meant was in the region in question, Kirkland Washington, Free estimates really are the norm. In fact most of the western U.S. Most of the guys disgusted by this practice are from the east. I’ve worked in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, and California and currently in Europe. All have given free estimates and it IS the norm. If the homeowner wants free estimates in Kirkland Washington I’m quite sure the phone book is full of free estimate companies. Those that charge in the west for estimates are rare and questionable. I’ve never worked in Ohio or PA. If the norm is to charge for estimates then so be it. It is not the way in the western U.S.

I read what you wrote. I read what he wrote. I understood them both. In the process of making your point you stated, roofing contractors that do not charge for estimates do inferior work. My reading comprehension skills are just fine, unlike yours. I know what you wrote. Everyone knows what you wrote. Admit your error and get on with life. What a dumb thing to argue about. Case closed.