Roofing company wants to seal a 3 year old roof

My house had a new roof put on 3 years ago. This was done through the insurance company. Within a year of getting this roof, asphalt shingles were being ripped off during a storm or windy day. The roofers have been here at least 4 or 5 times replacing shingles over the last 2 years. Now the last time, about a month ago, I called the roofing company about more shingles that need replaced. They said they would look into that batch of shingles possibly being bad. After waiting for about a month, I called them and they said right away they were going to seal the roof. They wouldn’t give me an answer about the shingles. Now my question is, the roof is only 3 years old. Why seal it? It sounds like to me, something is wrong and they wanna cover it up. Maybe it’s me, but is this normal. I have had nothing but problems since they put this roof on. They say they are coming July 1st to seal it, so please could you give me some advice about what I should do if anything.
Thank you

What was the temperature when they installed it? Sounds like either the shingles didn’t seal or they high nailed. Either way, I wouldn’t accept sealing it as the solution.

It was around 50 degrees. I told them I did not want the roof done until it was around 70 degrees. They did it anyway. Should I contact the insurance and let them know about this, or what can I do?
Thank you for your advice.

I think its far more likely that your shingles were “high nailed” than them being defective. Its a super common installation error. It had nothing to do with the temperature. I’ve shingled in 0 degrees before and had no shingles ever blow off (but i nail them properly). I have to respectfully disagree with authentic on this subject though (while a whole new roof would be ideal, but we don’t live in a perfect world) I do find hand sealing shingles to be an acceptable fix. I’ve done it several times on bad installs (not my own) and had good results.

If they’re high nailed, hand sealing is not an acceptable fix imho. That means the shingles have half the nails they should have. Hand sealing is a temporary fix.

Thank you all for your comments. To me, they screwed up and need the cheapest and quickest fix they can get. It’s not right to me how this is going. I’m the farthest from a roofer as you can get, but this is common sense I think. I need to talk to the insurance people, cause I know they have no idea what is going on. In the real world, the insurance should fight them for a new roof. Thank you all again for the comments and advice

I’m not sure if it’s advisable to talk to insurance first. They didn’t hire the roofing contractor, you did correct? Check from the insurance was made out to you? I would be careful as they may not want to insurance a house with a failing new roof on it. I would start with other avenues first like an attorney, your local building department, or even another roofing company to take a look and see what they think.

Do you have any pictures of the shingles that came off the roof. Maybe you could post them here for us to see?

I respect your opinion but we are gonna have to agree to disagree on the topic about hand sealing being acceptable or not. It’s just that probably 75% of the roofs I see being installed are high nailed and what is saving them from blowing off is the super aggressive tar strip they put on shingles now. For whatever reason the shingles they used didn’t seal like they should have and that’s why they are trying to say they are “bad”. If I were to hand seal a roof I would have no problem offering a warranty for future blow offs.

P.s. if they same crew installs a new roof for this customer I wouldn’t be shocked if install the shingles in the exact same way.

The only way to fix a high nailed roof long term is full replacement, Like AD said the shingles only have 1/2 the nails they are supposed to.

A high nailed roof can last a full life and I’ve seen it many times, if it is somewhat protected from the wind…

Yes, I hired this roofing company and yes the check was made to me. Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the shingles, all I can tell you the couple I had actually seen, basically both were broke off it looked like right at the tar strip, in a straight line. It was just the colored part of the shingle without the tabs. I just thought the insurance, just like when my car got totaled (My car has a different insurance company), they fought the other person’s insurance company when they tried to screw me. I’m glad I have everyone here to help, cause this can be frustrating. Thank you all again for your help.

IR, I respect your opinion as well. It’s okay to have different opinions.

To the OP, do not involve your insurance. They have nothing to do with it at this point. They let you decide on the contractor, they’ve washed their hands of the matter. As someone else forcefully informed you, it could cause you problems.

Definitely agree not to involve your insurance company. As an adjuster they will tell you it’s your problem to deal with since you hired the contractor. But you are also notifying them of a problem. If you have an actual claim later on, they could deny the claim based upon improper installation. At that point the repairs will all be on you anyway. Best to get other roofing contractors opinions, such as you are doing here in this forum, but to also have a couple trustworthy contractors actually do a physical inspection. Some roofing manufacturers will also send out a rep to look at the shingles or you can send in a sample for them to tell you whether or not the shingle itself is defective. If it is not defective, then it’s a defective installation and should fall back on the roofing contractor to make it right.

That’s the solution the manufacturers recommend. If the did not seal properly on there own (bold day when applied, dusty conditions etc). There is no problem with hand sealing shingles, it’s done all the time!! Call the maker of the shingles if you feel I’m wrong.

If the shingles broke in two right at the Nail line they were nailed correctly, this is a wind issue from not being properly sealed, either due to cold temperatures etc. The manufacture will want it hand sealed and they are the ones that have the warranty no matter what people here say. Opinions are like bellybuttons everybody’s got them and roofers have 2. You can get an attorney and spend money there, you can call the insurance company and they may cancel your roof if they think there’s problems with it, or you can give the roofer a chance to make it right (which you have to do anyway, and let See if that fixes the problem. Blow offs are the number one issue that manufactures deal with on the lighter weight laminated shingles. It is as common as well…belly buttons!

There are only two reasons why a job is not done properly…either the tradie doesn’t know how to, or doesn’t want to…end of story