Roofing Boots? Help

My brother got accepted as an apprentice for roofing and waterproofing. I want to buy him some good boots that he’ll need for the trade. Any suggestions. Does he need steel toe? He’ll be working in the chicagoland area. Any good brands of boots would be greatly appreciated. Also any other supplies he might need such as clothing, safety equipment would be greatly appreciated.

cougarpaws.com/

For flat roofing and hot work get any type of leather work boots. You want something with a non-lugged sole. The closer to flat sole the better as lugged soles will mark or scar some roofing materials. A soft sole is also best. Steel toe is not needed for roofing work and is just damn cold for the winter.

For steep work the Converse All-Star “Chucks” are light weight, breath and stick to pitched surfaces like no other. Keep in mind that OSHA would frown on this type of foot wear but hey, they are all Dorks…
The flat soled boot you got for flat will work here too and probably be more socially acceptable. Much love for Pro-Cons!

Hello,

I have used hiking boots from Wal-Mart. They are cheap($17-$20). Shingles really wear the soles quickly but I usually get about 6 months out of a pair. It depends on the pitch.

Keith

My favs are Rocky brand. Specifically Bearclaws. Great for fall and winter and part of the spring. AS for summer, I wear any good leather tennis shoe. Usually Reeboks.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]For flat roofing and hot work get any type of leather work boots. You want something with a non-lugged sole. The closer to flat sole the better as lugged soles will mark or scar some roofing materials. A soft sole is also best. Steel toe is not needed for roofing work and is just damn cold for the winter.

For steep work the Converse All-Star “Chucks” are light weight, breath and stick to pitched surfaces like no other. Keep in mind that OSHA would frown on this type of foot wear but hey, they are all Dorks…
The flat soled boot you got for flat will work here too and probably be more socially acceptable. Much love for Pro-Cons![/quote]

Back when I was doing built-up roofs I used to wear my brother’s old army boots. They were broken-in and comfortable, and the soles were relatively smooth.

He is going to get his toes mopped over by those Local 11 boys anyways, so just start off with a decent comfortable pair of leather boots that lace up the ankles.

The cleaner and newer his clothes looks on day # 1, the more some guys will go out of their way thinking that they are just having some rookie fun.

All he will be doing is carting material around until someone sees some initiative and desire out of him anyways and it will depend on his foreman too.

he is going to be the designated gopher for morning coffee and lunch breaks, so have a set of easy to change into clean clothes to switch into when he has to get into his car.

Definitely NO Cougar Paws for hot tar flat work.

Long sleeve shirt so he does not get burned and gloves without the cuffs on them so no hot goes into his hand.

Depending on if he is with a tear-off yard or a new construction yard, he will be into different experiences. I doubt that they would give him the gravy rubber crew job off the bat.

Ed