Roofing 101

You’ve established: wrap ice & water over edge of fascia. That’s under the drip edge correct?

Rakes? do you install drip edge first? Or over the felt?
If you use a 12-18" strip of ice & water along full length of rakes what order should they be?

Is it ice & water, felt, then drip edge?

Thanks for your patience,
not going into business just trying to do my roof right. Finally received solar equipment doing roof soon.
thanks again,
Boston Rob

“You’ve established: wrap ice & water over edge of fascia. That’s under the drip edge correct?”

Yes. Won’t work the other way, think about it.

“Rakes? do you install drip edge first? Or over the felt?”

Over the felt.

“If you use a 12-18” strip of ice & water along full length of rakes what order should they be?
Is it ice & water, felt, then drip edge?"

There really isn’t a reason to run Ice and Water Barrier on the rake edge IMO. Some manufacturers spec for it because they want to sell more of their product. Hell they spec it for hips too… Maybe I’d run it on a rake on a house right on the water, dunno. RJ can answer that one. But yes, if you were to do it then your listed order is correct.

We dont do drip edge up the rakes.

RooferJim

Normally we don’t either, I meant the I&W up the rake though. Thought you guys might go to extra measures on the Mass. coastal houses. Didn’t know if you used I&W up the rakes or not.

Well sometime the it just looks nice. But all in all it doesnt really matter.
On the new construction i do we dont used drip edge. Only on the upper profile reroofs.
Customers just dont wnat to pay for it.
In most case we have to get meatl specially bent and painted. What a waste in my mind.

It just looks stupid to run drip edge up the rakes almost nobody does it here,it dosent go with the architecture,neither does metal or vinyl siding. We do run I&W up all rakes and cheeks 18" strip factory edge out.also starter “soldier course” up the rake 3/4" overhand glue strip out.We by the precut starters. All our roofs are storm nailed with ring roofers, we are now starting to use stainless roofer on T-Ultra jobs.

RooferJim

i use a 3x3 behind the gutter,then I&W over it(top only w/ 1/4" overhang) and handroll it in placeGAF spec,I&W 1st then metal is certainteed spec