Roofers shingling over old felt, is this right?

Hello,

Valley metal should go at least to the shingle overhang if not a little bit further.
What is that on the ridge vent? Plastic? Can you post a close up shot of that ?
Sometimes shingles rip when an air hose is snagged or for other reasons but IMO it should have been replaced.
To answer you original question it is just good practice to remove all the felt. Especially since the contract stated "Removal of old roof system " and the felt is part of the old roof system.

Keith

yeah, get some close ups of the ridge vent. valleys look like poop. open california valleys, never seen that before :expressionless: !!

[quote]Valley metal should go at least to the shingle overhang if not a little bit further.

What they have done with the valleys is shingled over the valley. I think they called it close cut? I’m not really sure. But you can’t see the metal anymore because they covered it with shingles. But they never did extend the metal in the valleys any further. I would of thought they would of extended the metal to the edge even with the shingles on top?

I can’t get any new pictures my roof has 12" of snow on it now.

They did come and replace the ridge cap with some diffrent stuff and it looks lot better.

The picture of the ridge cap is the venting felt under the shingle. It was to wide so they tried to trim it down.

When they were cutting out the ridge with the skill saw looks like they put the saw down with the blade still running and chopped through a bunch of shingles. So they smeared the cuts full of clear silicone and rubbed the granuales from the shingles over it to hide it :shock:

There was quite a few torn shingles and cut shingles. With the snow I can’t tell if they were replaced till spring.

My biggest thing is the old felt which I paid to have removed and the metal not running all the way down to the edge on the valleys even with shingles over top.

[/quote]

Holy SMOKES, I think we might have a winner in our unofficial & just announced “Ugliest Roof Of The Year” category.

First, the valley is in short sections. Looks to me like they used up old or leftover pieces of flashing from some other job. You might take a coathanger & make a small hook in one end, then stuff it up under the shingles along the valley & see just how wide the valley metal is (may be easier to peek in there @ the bottom of the valley, but I don’t want you to break some seal or remove any nails).

http://www.constructionmetals.com/Flashing/Flashing_Images/w_valley.gif

You REALLY REALLY want w valley in there. That way, any water flowing down the slope (not the valley, the slope) won’t wash up under the other side of the valley metal.

Think of it like a kid on a skateboard who is doing the 1/2 pipe… if there was a small wall in the center, he’s not going up the other side, is he?*

Now, granted… that’s a fairly low slope; maybe a 5:12 from what I can see. Do us a favor & back off a bit; take a photo of the house from the street & all the way from the back fence so we can get a better idea of how the house as a whole looks.

Additionally, this pic here…

That has GOT to be the sloppiest valey termination I think I’ve ever seen in my life. Now, there is every possibility that your “roofers” (can anyone say “day labor”?) will say they’ve cut it short so that water will not overrun the gutters - but then you really need backsplashes. Problem is, it appears your gutters might sit too low for a backsplash to be of any decent use.

On that hip there - what’s up with the hump about 1/2 way up the run? Is that a bit of an architectural change in the pitch or just bad decking?

I’m also in the camp of wanting to know what is going on with the ridge vent.

[John Wayne]That’s some mighty tall ridge vent you’ve got there, Mister…[/John Wayne] & it doesn’t look to me like you’ve got Z Ridge or any other type of “high profile” ridge cap (much less a need for a steep slope ridge cap shingle).

You’ve done well with the photos, we just need to refine the shots a bit more.

I’ll do a sketch for how the valley metal should extend off if anyone wants to give me some specific measurements…

*Note: Skateboarding is not a crime.

They used an archetech shingle up the valley for a starter and when they run the shingles they bring the point to the starter so they dont have to cut the valley’s out.On steeper slopes they have problems with that starter sliding out because they dont nail it in the nail line.And if they did nail the starter in the nail line then they nailed into the valley metal.But this is the least of your problems.

You got short changed on the valley metal,it should have been longer.That valley would have looked much better if it had been closed cut instead of open.

The ridge looks like they covered the ridgevent with poly for an overnight dryin and ridged over it then cut the poly,or rather chewed it off.

You need to get someone local to take a closer look at the whole job.I think that there will be other issues that will need attention as well.

By the way,where did you find this guy,uncle frank would have done a much better job. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM636VvE6Zo)

What was this crew retarded ? man that is terrible workmanship ! vally metal should be crimped “locked” onto the drip edge. I have replaced a lot of roofs this year that were less than five years old for a reason. “Not all roofers are really Roofers”.

IMHO If they couldn’t even do the ridges or valleys correctly, did they even nail it correctly. That valley leaks like a sieve at the bottm. ‘W’ isn’t necessary as much as a valley that clears the fascia.
The crews weren’t roofing crews, irregardless of what the truck signs said.

[quote=“turboboy”]

My contract read remove and haul away existing (1) layer asphault roof system. Does that sound like the roof should of been stripped bare?

[/quote]

Yes,it sounds like they traded to tear off,however in this photo it looks like old shingles on the bottom left side of the valley.Again,you need to get someone to inspect the roof and answer all these issues and possibly others.

You got ripped off.But I can’t tell if your roof was ripped off.

You should be able to lift the shingles up at the eves all around the house and see if they tore the existing roof off or just did a nail over while you were away.

The contract read to remove existing (1)layer.
How many layers did the house have.
Did you have other estimates.
how many layers did they say you had.

man im sorry turboboy,
it doesnt look good.
even i cant make light of your situation.

i think you need to get another roofer.
pay them to try and save what you have.

good luck.

gweedo.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Holy SMOKES, I think we might have a winner in our unofficial & just announced “Ugliest Roof Of The Year” category.

*Note: Skateboarding is not a crime.[/quote]

That’s a good one Ranch. :roll:

Well they been back 4 times now. The third time they closed the valleys in and call it a “close cut”

But what I was wondering when you do a closecut valley does any thing have to go under the shingle and felt? The roofer said its not suppose to have any thing shingles/felt.

There was tin in the valleys but they don’t go right to the edge of the facia.Then they did the close cut and its covered with shingles. I’m worried about water getting up in to there.

Any ideas.

Heres some pictures of the close cut shingles then a picture of what the metal looks like under it.

They replaced some shingles heres the nail line were they stopped. Sorry about the poor pictures its getting dark when I get home from work.http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/wwildchild/roofjob063.jpg

That does look better with the closed cut valley.I still like to run my metal over the eve at least as far as the shingles.Anyways ,at least the shingles cover the end of the valley now,you should be alright .I would still get the roof inspected ,I just don’t trust these guys.

I can just imagine how crooked the shingles must be,can you get some more pics tomorrow.

I just got to laugh.
That pipe boot picture just is not right.
If you can’t do something that simple, well I am just speechless.
A pretty simple and common detail, any person that calls themselves “roofing laborers” should be able to handle that…
It is not just a “nail” that is exposed.
It is the entire nailing line…

My verbiage is a little harsh, but that is a pretty common detail.
Should know how to fudge that…

WHat I was wondering is the roofer told me that when you do close cut shingles theres no need for any metal in the valleys is this correct? Just use shingles and felt.

I was asking about running the metal to the end of the facia when they came 3rd time to fix it. He said yes he would do it. Then they shingled it and never did it. No they said you don’t need metal.

There coming back saturday to fix more stuff thats the only day I can get pictures in the daylight.

Thanks

[quote]WHat I was wondering is the roofer told me that when you do close cut shingles theres no need for any metal in the valleys is this correct? Just use shingles and felt.
[/quote]

We always put Ice & water shield in the valleys, rarely any metal…
Any hack roofer can put in a valley.
It is the top and the bottom of the valley that matter.
How you do that makes the difference.

On the 4th time they come to fix things they put silicone over the nails that are exposed on the nail line. Guess they figure that would fix it lol