Roofer won't honor warranty

Hello. I was hoping to get some advice from this forum concerning a roofing problem that I have. I live near ft. worth, tx. We had a hail storm in early 2007, and I had my roof replaced later that year in December. I noticed a stain on my kitchen ceiling last August. Just as my contract said under warranty, I notified the roofer within 72 hours. Someone left a message on my cell phone about setting up a time to do the repair. I tried returning his call, but he never answered. Then the hurricane hit in Houston. Since then, the roofer won’t return my calls. The secretary says that she’ll have someone call me, but no one calls. I’ve called their office multiple times in September and October. Nothing. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau. They still never responded.
The sales packet touted the warrant from Certainteed, so I tried emailing them. I simply asked for assistance with contacting the roofer. The apathetic response I got was:

We recommend you contact another roofing contractor to see what the problem is due to.

Thank you, Technical Services

I’m probably going to have to pay another roofer to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

did you go to your local building department ? did he get a permit ? did you send him a certified letter from your attorney ?

You basically hired a storm chasing roofer. You will find that you need to just hire another company to fix the repair. By the time you hire a legal service, you could have paid a roofer to fix the problem.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t contact them to resolve your cost for repair, but you’re better off getting the problem fixed.

Drive over to their yard in the morning or evening and talk to the foreman in person. If they are busy they'll try to put it off but if you show up they might be intimidated (or shamed) into doing something....DaveB

First, purchase a bucket or pail and place it directly under the leak…

If Certainteed wrote checks every time someone called them about a roof leak, you’d pay a thousand dollars a square for shingles.

They have to find out 2 things to figue out whether it is a warranty issue: why it’s leaking and whether or not it was installed to manufacturer’s specifications.

But what they know ahead of time is that when properly installed, it doesn’t leak - because they make great products.

And after being in the business as long as they have been, they know a thing or two about contractors. For example, if the contractor is dodging you, you need to find another contractor because this one will be no more reliable to them as they have been to you. Or maybe they already have a complaint about them.

First DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Find a roofing company that has been licensed for at leat 5-10 years. Make them produce a list of satisfied cusomers that you can contact as references AND CALL THEM ALL AND VISIT THE BUILDING THEY HAD ROOFED!

Then have the contractor look at your leak. They will not be cheap, but going with the lowest bidder is exactly what gets people into the situation you currently find yourself in. The problem could be as simple as minor repair for a few hundred dollars.

Find another Certainteed qualified roofer, and also call the supply house that sells shingles to get the reps phone number. If you can get him over to your home, and the paperwork was infact filled out then you are home free. If he did not fill the paperwork out then you will have to pay again. Sounds like an install problem.

leaks are cause by poor craftsmanship and improper installation. even the worst shingles in the world wont leak if installed properly. CertainTeed will have nothimg to do with it.

two things in the responses to this
property owner that I have a problem with.

1. If the paperwork is in order and it is a product warranty,then the homeowner is in good hands?
    I made a comment recently regarding giving the homeowner receipts and lien waivers for materials payments as well as lien waivers for workmanship payments, as proof to the wholesale distributor
    that all is in order. Why would the homeowner be
    out of luck if the installer failed to conclude warranty
    documents when the supplier determines product liability
    based on proper installation, not contractor credentials. If I bought shingles from one of the big stores, and installed it myself, as a homeowner, wouldn’t the product still come under warranty, if it is a product defect?

secondly, quite a lot about the workmanship of the roof installation is being assumed without all the facts…maybe he had siding installed by a different contractor and the leak is in the wall, or the brick chimney is pourous, or the dryer vent hose in the attic has separated and the condensation is starting to show.

Proper notification by the homeowner as per the contract only clears the homeowner from notification issues. Expecting the roofer to be responsible for
ceiling damage , especially after roofer’s failure to respond would not necessarily hold up in court,
it is the homeowners responsibility to protect his property, despite liability. Maybe a registered/ certified/ official "fix this now or take all further
responsibility " clause might be one way around the homeowners error to address the problem, but
as a homeowner… fix the problem, take the roofer to court for “costs of repairs to warranteed roof” damages if the new roofer substantiates
the problem as being the original installers fault,
or pass responsibility where it lies.

I have a checklist that I go thru with the homeowner
that addresses every possible issue that might come up. It either gets checked as yes or no…do it or don’t do it. If I recommend something, like masonary repairs, and the owner declines, I have him initial that item/ dated etc. Most often, if i insist that the problem is serious, the owner will agree with me, but if it’s a large enough area, and doesn’t concern roofing, such as big cheek walls, etc, or areas that I am relying on someone else’s previous workmanship to hold up, I make sure that
i address this in writing.

In this case, i think we at least need pictures…

The company is still making money in your area.
They dont want to be shut down.
Its sounds like they are really busy.

We cant see your roof. We can’t help you.
**Take several pics **of the roof above your leak.
Then we can really help you.

Mean while keep calling your roofer and be polite and sweet. Hopefully they have a good roofer on their team. It will be very time consuming and expensive for choosing someone else to fix it.

Do you have a kitchen exhaust vent? Is it leaking around it?

Thanks for the responses. I’ll try to post a photo of the leak. The leak appears to be in a valley of the roof.

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z282 … ofleak.jpg

It looks like a well pitched roof valley tieing into a flatter roof valley. Pictures from outside would help.
Maybe you can stand on the roof of that fancy SUV and show us a better view?

Here are some picture of the roof and the stained ceiling. I think this is the valley where the leak is coming from.

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z282 … e08005.jpg

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z282 … e08003.jpg

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z282 … e08002.jpg

i188.photobucket.com/albums/z282 … e08001.jpg

nice daveb,

jw999 if said roofer does not comback then please
learn the lesson that fancy warrantty folders and packets are not as important to hirin a roofer as
findin someone who has been doin it, in your town,
for a very very long time with references, to back it up.

gweedo.

I know. Any recommendations for a roofer in the dallas area?

See figure 15-11 on page 142 of the Certainteed Shingle Applicator’s Manual for the correct installation details for valleys.

As you will see, they specify the use of a 36" strip of I&W in valleys.

If this stuff was ACTUALLY installed, your valley would be as watertight as a submarine. Even if the shingles leaked at the valley, the water would run down the I&W and never penetrate your roof.

So it’s pretty clear to me that your roof was not installed to manufacturers specifications, and the warranty says right there that it MUST be installed to manufacturers specifications.

If they sold you on the Certainteed warranty, then they implied that it would be installed in a manner that would not void the warranty. I would have a professional (reputable roofer or home inspector) check for the presence of I&W in valleys and see if other specifications were met. Given their poor workmanship and unwillingness to fix their leak, you should probably take legal action if they continue to ignore you, particularly if you find out that the valleys were installed incorrectly.

Anyone reading this, heed this warning: make your contract read “…roofing materials will be installed to manufacturer’s specifications.”

[quote]

for the correct installation details…[/quote]

Ha,ha,ha,he,hehe,ho,ho. That is the funniest thing i have ever read.

Certainteed and all the other manufactures have
NO IDEA HOW TO INSTALL A SHINGLE ROOF PROPERLY.

If i installed according to them, all my roofs would be guaranteed to leak and fail before their time.

Certainteed and all the others are either completely ignorant or they want your roof to fail before their time.

I like certainteed, use certainteed often and give them lots of money but the roofers that they have listened too to come up with their instructions were sorry roofers.

figure 15-1 and figure 15-2 in particular.

No, i will not correct what it should show.
I need all of you thinking you did it correctly.
Roofs failing before their time, chasing after each others leaks. That leaves more work for me, my family, my sons.

Any “roofer” that would site these particular instructions
in my opinion, is not a roofer.
Roofing Salesman? yes. roofer? no.

Any roofer that says that they dont ever get leaks or callbacks have very little experience.
I have had many leaks but none ever from a valley.
and i have never installed ice/water shield in the valley.
except for the recent 9months in florida where they required ice and water over the whole roof.
The State of florida is going to pay for that dearly
when the law suits all come together.

In florida, we use a quality felt and then 20 inch rolled valley metal, then closed cut valley. We pay attention to where the seams of the shingles/nails go.
Our valleys don’t leak. Certainteed doesn’t void the warranty. If we had ice build up, then i can understand.

If the valley leaked, and there was not ice build up
you don’t blame “not having ice/water shield”.
You blame the roofer for not installing the shingles correctly.

Never, i want my roof to be leak free.
Not guaranteed to leak.

Hey jw,

Are you sure the leak is in that particular valley?
I am not saying it isn’t. I am just making sure you are looking at the right valley.

I see nothing wrong yet with that valley but if you showed us a straight down close up shot, i might be able to see if they got their seams too close to the valley.

My first instinct was that your leak is on the other side of that ridge in/near the second valley that has the leaves built up in it.
It looks as though it might turn into a dead valley or water might be running into a wall(dead valley)

This should be an easy leak to find for a good roofer.
Follow gweedos advice.
The roofer should also go up in the attic with you.
I know you shouldn’t have to go through this,
but sometimes roofing companies get seriously overwhelmed.

[quote=“roof-lover”]Certainteed and all the other manufactures have
NO IDEA HOW TO INSTALL A SHINGLE ROOF PROPERLY.

If i installed according to them, all my roofs would be guaranteed to leak and fail before their time.

Certainteed and all the others are either completely ignorant or they want your roof to fail before their time.[/quote]

Well, you can listen to a guy who proudly proclaims that he knows more than the company that’s been making shingles since 1904.

Or you can read the manual published by the company that was making shingles before your great grandfather was born. The choice is yours.

BTW for anyone considering a roofing contractor, the problems you read about on here generally arise when a contractor doesn’t follow the manufacturers instructions.

Of all the excuses for not following manufacturers instructions, the cavalier attitude that YOU know better than the people who MADE the shingles you are installing is probably the lamest.

And I see the results of that kind of thinking - everyday.

So certainteed has been making and requiring “wintergaurd” since 1904 huh? wow, i learn something new every day.

The roof didn’t leak because of ice build up or lack of IW. It leaked because of improper workmanship.
Read last line three times for possible comprehension.

Certainteed doesn’t “require” Ice and water shield in the valleys other wise i wouldn’t be able to use their product and give a warranty. They recommend it.
Different regions have different needs.
If state,county requires it, that’s another matter.

In your link I see their picture of ridge vent too.
They dont “require” that exact system either, they recommend it.

Shall i go on?

I do many things over and above that certainteed in these instructions do not even bring up. I guess i should cut these things out since certainteeds been in business since 1904.

I was installing leak free roofs long before certainteed made ice/water and showed you that lil picture.

Using your own reasoning, I guess since certainteed says that their landmark shingle will last 30,40, and 50 years you completely believe them
"cause they be in business since 1904"

Foolish thinking…

I would like to see better pictures of that chimney box up there on the other side of the ridge, and the cricket
details on the two top sides of it. What a nightmare.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see your leaks coming thru that wood box. I’d also like to see how that center dormer valley terminates into the lower dormer valley.
It could be that the valley water is washing across the roof and under the other valley/ facsia detail. That is one area that I prefer to strip clean, and roof thru, not butt against tight fascai boards and counterflashings. Hard to explain that detail, but those of you that do this kind of work know what I mean.

just saying

David