Roofboss

I was reading a post where you talked about being the largest Derbigum installer back in '84 or something. Anyway, it got me to thinking. Do you remember a roofing company out of Ohio called G&M? They not only did roofing, but distributed roofing supplies. They were also the company that put the roof on the Honda plant, had a sister company called Marion & Green which put the roof on Nissan. Anyway, the owner is/was a guy by the name of Jack George. You ever hear of any of the two companies or the owner? How about John Van Wagoner? Have you ever heard of him? Just wondering since you’ve been around for awhile.

FWIW, at one time, I worked for both of these men.

i have met john van wagoner once at a vegas convention. that was back in the 80’s. and ive seen some of G&M’s work thru photos.mike tolzien from derbi showed me the photos.

I figured you probably knew who Van Wagoner is, I was told he was once NRCA President, but I have not been able to confirm that. I have found some papers he has authored for the NRCA though.

As for G&M, they went under probably back in the mid-80’s. They were a big company, but the recession back in the early 80’s got to them, along with some legal wranglings with the local union.

i have some pals in chicago still installing derbi. i always liked the stuff. you needed superior skills to install it.

I worked for G&M’s sister company, Marion & Green, and they survived the recession being based in Tennessee. Anyway, for awhile M&G was paying the bills for G&M, until it got to the point M&G could no longer carry G&M.

When I worked for M&G we installed the roofs on the Nissan Truck Manufacturing plant (the reason M&G went to Tn), Federal Expresses corp. HQ, Ragu plant,… The Nissan plant was two layers of fiberglass insulation (one screwed, one set in asphalt), 4-plies of coal-tar pitch, with a pitch and slag surfacing; all 36,000 squares of roof, which took nearly 1.5 years to complete since it was being roofed as it was being built.

Anyway, I’m glad I started working for M&G to begin with, because they did top quality work. I didn’t realize it at the time, but as I got out and saw other roofing companies work, I realized how good M&G was. Then again, if you knew Jack George, you’d know we all worked scared. Unfortunately, it was recession time, so you kept the job you had, because there were 100 people lined up ready to take it if you didn’t want it. That is how I got my roofing education; it was the only job available and I kept it for I think 5 years before moving to Virginia to go to work for Van Wagoner at Prospect Enterprises.

That don’t impress Bob none.

He’s pitch off, pitch on, pitch for lunch and a pitch shower to close the day.

Then beer. :smiley:

i have graduated to iced tea thank you.

[quote=“AaronB.”]That don’t impress Bob none.

He’s pitch off, pitch on, pitch for lunch and a pitch shower to close the day.

Then beer. :D[/quote]

Believe me, running two tanker trucks or pitch and one of asphalt, I got my taste of pitch. Once I got on my first single-ply roof, I made sure I excelled at them so I didn’t have to run pitch jobs. It worked a little, but I still got to play with the hot and metal.

When I went to work for Van Wagoner, he was into anything and everything. I’d be painting on 3M roofs, thinking the whole time that it wasn’t going to work. We did below-grade and plaza deck waterproofing, GRM, EPDM, American HydroTech, Bituthene, PVC, and some that I’ve long forgotten. If nothing else, I figured it was good experience, and it eventually led to my becoming a consultant.