Roof repair question

Our company is located near Oakland CA and we own the building that our office is in. We have had several roofing contractors bid to repair our roof, which is flat and about 13-14 years old. One of the people who bid told us that we need to replace what are called pitch pockets. He said that the pitch pockets are filled with tar and they surround each leg of the fence that goes around our air conditioners and heaters.

I’d like some advice. The contractor is telling me that the tar is old and and that these pitch pockets should be replaced. We have had other contractors bid and they said nothing about having to replace these. When I asked about them, they said they can be resealed with more tar.

We are on a budget so if we do not have to spend money to replace these, we don’t want to. But we also want to do the right thing as we own the building. We are not able to take the screens down.

Can anyone let me know what is the right thing to do bearing in mind that we do not have an unlimited budget?

Thank you for your time.

Chris

First and foremost, are you a fellow Raider fan?

Next, to answer your question without actually seeing the condition is a 50/50 proposition. However, in most cases you do not need to replace the penetration pockets. You can either periodically top them off with roofing mastic as part of your maintanence schedule, or you can have the roofing contractor install metal caps over the pockets that are sealed to the screen wall support legs.

When it comes time to replace the roof, you will certainly want to replace all the sheet-metal flashings as well. For now, you should be fine just topping them off periodically with roofing mastic.

yep follow cere’s lead

so we dont have to tear them off?

Why? She is wanting to do maintanence to prolong the service-life of the existing roof system. Like I told her, she will want to replace the penetration pockets when the roof is replaced, but for now they are probably just fine unless they are rusted out or damaged in some other way.

Nope not a Raider’s fan. A Bear’s fan. Go Bears!

Just to clarify, we are actually going to tear off the old roof as they are saying that it is best to do that rather than try to fix it. (Which was the original plan.)

So, if that is the case, are you saying that we will need to replace these pitch pockets? I haven’t actually been on the roof. The contractors tell us what is there and take pictures for us to show us what they are talking about.

The fence that these pitch pockets are connected to have posts that are about 2" x 2" and I don’t think that these fences come down easily, or are allowed to come down. They have posts that are called angle irons.

I hope that this makes sense. I’ll try to post an image as well if I can figure out how to do it.

But what I’d like help and advice with is these pitch pockets as that is an extra cost if we have to replace them. Obviously if we don’t have to spend the extra money, we’d prefer not to since the roof will be expensive enough. However, we want to do the right thing as well.

Thank you again for your advice,

Chris

I work for a roofing company located in Oakland, I am not sure if we are bidding on your project or not. If you are reroofing the pitch pockets should be replaced as a standard part of the job. All of your bids should be addressing this as well as any pipe and vent flashings on the roof.

The pitch pans have a flange that the roof ties into. If you don’t replace them you are just sealing to the side of the existing pitch pocket. This will have more of a tendency to crack loose and lead to potential leaks. The other problem is during the roof removal the old pitch pockets will get moved around and voids could form in the filler inside. Even if you reseal the top of them it is kind of a superficial seal will require more maintenance.

The last thing to throw out there for you, and all of your bids should reflect this. In 2005 California passed Title 24 requirements. These cover a wide range of mandatory energy saving items on what is called conditioned commercial space (this is what you have). You need to make sure all of your bids are specifing a Title 24 compliant roof.

yes,replace the pitch pockets w/a new roof,very insignificant cost when compared to cost of replacing them separately later–also collars,flashings&reline/reset drains w/job :wink:

[quote=“oaklandmanager”]Our company is located near Oakland CA and we own the building that our office is in. We have had several roofing contractors bid to repair our roof, which is flat and about 13-14 years old. One of the people who bid told us that we need to replace what are called pitch pockets. He said that the pitch pockets are filled with tar and they surround each leg of the fence that goes around our air conditioners and heaters.

I’d like some advice. The contractor is telling me that the tar is old and and that these pitch pockets should be replaced. We have had other contractors bid and they said nothing about having to replace these. When I asked about them, they said they can be resealed with more tar.

We are on a budget so if we do not have to spend money to replace these, we don’t want to. But we also want to do the right thing as we own the building. We are not able to take the screens down.

Can anyone let me know what is the right thing to do bearing in mind that we do not have an unlimited budget?

Thank you for your time.

Chris[/quote]

If your going to be in the building for a long time then repair it right.
If your there for a short while then repsir it enough thst it wont leak on you.
If the company is legit they will give you a warrenty. Go with the warrenty.

The replacement of your pitch pockets should made mandatory if you’re replacing the entire roof. There is no way you should leave the old pitch pockets. By the way, the National Roofing Contractor Association (NRCA), and all Roofing Manufacturers strongly recommend eliminating pitch pockets from any roof designs since they are a source of constant maintenance and potential problems. It’s written in the manuals, and specifications. The real question is why would anyone want to use a pitch pocket today on a modern day roof system?

I own and operate a company that manufactures roof accessories. One of the products we manufacture is a retrofit flashing that can replace pitch pockets very easily, and with a minimal cost to you.

We call our product a Retro-Spin Flashing, and when used with our EPDM Retro-Collars, the 2â€Â

“We have had several roofing contractors bid to repair our roof…”

At no point did the OP ever state they were getting a new roof, so why the posts saying to replace the pockets?!

In any case Cer gave you good advice.

Alright, now you are talking about roof replacement, and that is a different story. By all means you need to have the penetration pockets replaced, but that should have been included in the base bid if you ask me. What I really suggest you do is have someone prepare you a set of roof replacement specifications so that all the contractors are bidding the same job. Otherwise, you will get one contractor wanting to install a built-up roof, one will want to use rubber, another modified bitumen, etc., and then some of those will want to go over the existing roof, some will want to re-use flashings (a bad practice), etc…

Curse the edit timer! /e shakes fist

it stated the pitch pockets were in need of replacement or refill–replacement is better-replacing the roof is better still-in homeowner speak sometimes they say repairing the roof when its actually a replacement-CEREBRUS gave good advice-no one said he didnt-just expanded on it a bit-no big deal!