Roof not long enough for a ridge vent

I had a roof replace recently. I requested ridge vents to replace my turtle vents. The person who wrote my contract strongly suggested ridge vents and thought ridge vent was the best choice. However, the project coordinator supplied turtle vents to be put on the roof.
Below is his reason from an email as why he changed the ticket order

"Ridge vent has an intake of 12.5 in.³ for every linear foot. Each turtle that has about 70 in.³ We could have installed 8 to 10 feet maximum of ridge vent. The total on that is only 100 in.³ to 120 in.³ whereas with the turtle vents just two of them would be superior."
He basically said my roof edge is too short to have ridge vent for proper ventilation.

Picture of my roof image2|690x180

Your pic won’t load for me. But if your house only has 8-10’ of ridge then what they told you is correct that’s really not enough for ridge vent. The salesman who you talked to probably doesn’t actually know much about roofing other than the usual speech he tells everyone, no matter of the circumstances (very common in our industry unfortunally).

What they told you is correct. On a hipped roof with a small ridge on top, a short section of ridge vent on top will bn not provide acquit venting.

Thank you IslandRoofing for your reply.

I have resend my roof picture. The site admin has to approve it before viewing.
My house is 3128sq two stories, it has three roof ridge and each ridge maybe ~ 10’. For clarification, if the sum total of my roof is less than 10’ then no ridge vent or does each roof ridge need to be greater than 10’?

Thank you MPA.

What is the role of softit vents with ridge vents.

The roll of sofit vents in simple terms are to allow air to drawl in from the bottom, across the underside of the roof, and out the top through either ridge vent or in roof vents. It works basically like a chimney effect, hot air rises and escapes through the top and pulls cooler air in from the bottom to replace the air that he escaped.

Yes your roof doesn’t have enough ridge for ridge vent in my opinion. You need more ventilation than an 8’x2" hole (the max you would have gotten with ridge vent in your situation). The only thing the roofer did wrong was tell you he was gonna use ridge vent in the first place.

The efficiency of roof ventilation varies from one geographical location to another.
What is required in the south will be different to the north.
Having said that it makes no difference as to what type of roof vent you have as long as it performs according to your requirements.
All vents, roof or otherwise, are constructed with varying discharge or resistance values so asking for a ridge vent means nothing unless you state flow values.
Now let’s be quite clear here, one who installs is not one who designs otherwise we may as well go to a butcher when seeking advice about surgery.
Performance is the key prerequisite, which is determined by the expectations of the home owner and the roofer is not equipped to ascertain what is required, not unless he/she happens to be a fluid mechanics engineer who is moonlighting as a roofer.
The claim,‘I’ve installed thousands of these,’ is not a testament to performance, and whether they met expectations is another matter.

I agree that most any type of vent would work properly but the issue is this particular house does not have enough ridge for the house to vent.

So you install a cupola

So if you have a house with multiple hipped sections with short ridges, do you just install multiple cupolas?

If the ingress is located evenly around the periphery…and when I say cupola I’m talking about the 21st century design as per

I like these for short ridge houses. They’re kind of pseudo science stuff, but they do work. ventilation_max-vent
Little ugly to some, but they’re common enough here so they sort or blend in.

In addition.

Smartvent can be added below the ridgevent to increase the ventilation area.

Sections of hipvent could be added to the upper portion of the hips to increase ventilation area.

IMO either of these look better that turtle vents.