Roof leaking in AZ-1:12 pitch with shingles-only 5 years old

We just had a really bad storm tonight, and our roof leaked in numerous locations. Our roof is a low-slope 1:12 pitch. We bought the home a year ago and were told that a company called ABC Roofing installed the roof 5 years ago. I imagine that a licensed company would know what type of roofing material would be appropriate to use our a low-sloped roof…but maybe I’m wrong.

I can’t find any current information on ABC Roofing. I have checked the Arizona board of contractors and all phone directories and have come up empty-handed. If there was an ABC Roofing Co., they are no longer in business.

We have vaulted celings with exposed beams throughout the home, so leaks manifest themselves pretty quickly. Essentially there is the roof, then insulation, then ceiling drywall. We had leaks in our garage, bedroom, living room, laundry room and kitchen. All of our roof penetrations were recently sealed, and my husband used Henry’s to patch a few areas on our roof. It appears to be a composition shingle and we can’t figure out why a 5 year old roof would be leaking.

We have had a couple leaks in the past couple months, but nothing like today.

Any suggestions on what type of roof material is best for a 1:12 pitch? Neighbors of ours with the same house had licensed roofers install sheets of shingles. 2 other neighbors with the same roof went with foam.

Is there anything we can do to our existing roof, short of replacing it? There is only 1 layer of shingles on the roof. I know that you can have up to 3. Would adding more layers of shingles solve the problem, or do we have to tear off our roof?

Thoughts? Recommendations for Arizona Roofers?

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

Hi,

More shingles will not help. You can not do anything to the shingles to keep out water. Shingles are not waterproof. They shed water. There is not enough pitch to shed water.

You need a low-slope roof system.

I think that foam could be sprayed over the existing shingles. I do not know this for sure.

i dont think a shingle is your answer. def. a low slope system. the only one i know how to do is EPDM rubber, but i dont know how it holds up in your climate. also you are only allowed 2 layers which i thought was a national code.

[quote=“Fifilynn”]
I can’t find any current information on ABC Roofing. I have checked the Arizona board of contractors and all phone directories and have come up empty-handed. If there was an ABC Roofing Co., they are no longer in business.[/quote]

Yea i did some reasearch under those terms and found only disconnected phone lines and websites down.

I have always torched anything with that slope and havent had any problems … this is a picture of a roof i torched in a slate color :

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2332/untitledon9.jpg

Nice looking roof QRFL, however, it looks to me like you could have cast some extra granules in the laps. Also, are those flue stacks flashed with roofing cement?

The modified mastic i always use it on top of the finished roof. Its just overkill … the have the smooth sandwiched in the flasing flange … but i alwasy have to do that … for some reason makes me feel more comfortable … ill consider granules on the next one … This roof is hardly visible :wink:

still looks better then before :

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3641/untitledla5.jpg

I also just remember this one job i remember asking for some granules but since this is Roofmatch GAF i had a hard time getting them … Dibiten slate you can even get the granules for free since they come in the pallet… I didnt knew this … I tought they were just as available over the counter … the only ones they had were a bad match … I dont know if you ever been in this spot :expressionless:

Shingles can be applied to a pitch of 2/12 or greater for most shingle manufacturers. If the roof is a 4/12 pitch down to 2/12 the risk of wind driven rain, water moving up the roof and water backup from ice dams is greater. I’ve seen this on a 6/12 pitch. There are 3 layers of shingles where the 3rd course up overlaps because the top part of the first course is underneath 3 courses high. Only for about 1 inch underneath the third course though. This inch area where there are 3 layers can cause some shingles to actually cup and then pond water. This water can then run back and get underneath the shingles. This happened with laminate shingles. If it were my house in AZ I would go with a low-slope system in white. PVC, TPO, Granulated Torch Down, or good old hot tar with white cap sheet. I recently did a White TPO roof and the customer told me she has no need for fans or air-conditioning as the new roof is keeping the inside cool. We high fived with excitement. Hope this helps.

Sam Bailey
Leak Chasers Roofing

Shingles can be applied to a pitch of 2/12 or greater for most shingle manufacturers. If the roof is a 4/12 pitch down to 2/12 the risk of wind driven rain, water moving up the roof and water backup from ice dams is greater. I’ve seen this on a 6/12 pitch. There are 3 layers of shingles where the 3rd course up overlaps because the top part of the first course is underneath 3 courses high. Only for about 1 inch underneath the third course though. This inch area where there are 3 layers can cause some shingles to actually cup and then pond water. This water can then run back and get underneath the shingles. This happened with laminate shingles. If it were my house in AZ I would go with a low-slope system in white. PVC, TPO, Granulated Torch Down, or good old hot tar with white cap sheet. I recently did a White TPO roof and the customer told me she has no need for fans or air-conditioning as the new roof is keeping the inside cool. We high fived with excitement. Hope this helps.

Sam Bailey
Leak Chasers Roofing

i was scrollin down and saw the roof and said " oh thats a pretty roof".
Q, keep puttin your 45 bull cant, oops, i mean 45 modified mastic cant.
and i dont do granuals, sorry everyone, they just wash of in a couple a
years were im at, and i cant find my leaks as easy with granuals in the way.
but i know you want me to nit pick somethin. hmm?
ok, i like to let my valley sheet/valley metal extend out more, at bottom so water drips out away from evedrip at inside corner.
but i can tell its good work by how strait it is.

nice.

oh and sorry ms fifi lynn,
basically shingles are not goin to work on your house.
now go to home depot. buy a good size tarp.
and try to see if ya cant get someone to put it over leakin areas.
fasten it with some 1x2s runnin vertically.
then get a couple a roofers out to your house and get either a good peal n stick system or torchdown system. white=cool.

good luck

gweedo.

I had to nail the top 1 inch of the salvage on this roof on every row with some eg’s beign 1 1/2 in 12 … Spec calls for straping it… but them sheets are never gonna slide down…

Lol

I have never seen a perfectly installed roof thru my whole roofing practice …

Ill take it all as constructive criticism… :mrgreen: