Roof Design

I’m designing my house and I’m overwelmed at the different roof systems! Is there a few good web sites or any comprehensive free studies to compar cost, longevity, installation, pro’s con’s etc. I like metal, but that in it self is a huge market with dozens of different designs, colors, installations etc. The house is unique with some long free spans, 30’ x 40’, 18’ from floor to roof, its also designed with curves, nothing complicated just one large curve in stead of a straight slope, for each roof section. I’m probably giving to much info, now you’ll ask for more :wink: . Any info on my question is appreciated.
Thanks

Standing seam will be best bet if money is not an issue. Same with slate.

Great products… The great look of slate, shake, or spanish without the weight…Costs more than shingles but cost less than the real stuff and looks as good…50 year warranty… It looks way better than metal… check it out… Titan Roof Systems… www.titanroofsystems.com

Great products… The great look of slate, shake, or spanish without the weight…Costs more than shingles but cost less than the real stuff and looks as good…50 year warranty… It looks way better than metal… check it out… Titan Roof Systems… www.titanroofsystems.com

I say metal…it can be formed to the curve and is pretty lightweight compared to most of the watershedding materials, and better looking.

If you like the look of metal thats fine… But if you like slate, shake, or spanish barrel tile… YOure best options are the the real thing, a synthetic product like Titan’s, or concrete tile… I havent seen a metal roof that looks as good as any of the roofing options

Dang, roofguy, put the spam in the classified section…en gratis.

Is ASM and roofguy the same guy?

if i am understanding how your roof is curving right, (the fascia bowing out) then metal is going to be tough. you would have to use tapered panels and those can get really pricey. if the curve is very slight, then a 2 piece clay tile works and looks great if it fits into your architectual style.

I think he meant more barrel-like. I might be wrong, though. We will not know until he comes back and offers clarity. :slight_smile:

“Barrel like” is similar… Its a curve in only one dimension, there are no conpound bends. If you took a piece of paper a started to bend the long ends towards each other, thats what you would end up with. Peak is at the top and slope goes out on each side. Its gradual (or I could make it that way) to fit most materials. However, I like the look of sheet metal. Composite seams cheaper, at least initial cost, but I’m looking for longer lasting and modern arch. look.

Not sure what pro’s and con’s are, I was looking for a cheat sheet. Web sites only show how great their products are and how everyone else is less desirable, but I figure their kind of partial.

with a curve in that direction this panel would work great, they can factory curve it, the only hard part will be finding someone to install it, it can get complicated. unaclad.com/architects/dspPr … oductid=58

My friend did the Walter Payton Sports facility (The Chicago Bears’ indoor training facility) in metal…a true barrel… from one side to the other was a single arch…came out perfectly, and they site formed the entire thing. Piece of cake for him…thats his bag.

They did, however, have to install tapered inslation at the very top because the arch flattened out up there. This was done, with one long panel per side and a ridge cap.

Is yours to be more like a Gothic arch? Metal would be SAWEET!

dang?
must be southern illinois.

gweedo.