Roof brackets nailed too high w/arch shingles

I made a nail down plate that I lay on a nail head (starting with the lowest nail), then have a top plate that lays on top of the shingle. I can wail with a sledge hammer and no damage to shingles.

However, I’d rather take the nails out.

The problem is you can’t bend arch shingles up like single ply 3-tap.

But when heated you can simply pull on the top ply and it will separate allowing both plys to bend freely. I figure if I separate the nearby top plys, I’ll be able to bend both plys up enough to remove the nails.

Any other suggestions?

Why pull the nails? I have never pulled roof bracket nails while removing the brackets, and I always run into the old nails when removing steep roofs.
On a warm day arch shingles flex and lift up just fine to allow you to pound the nails down. If your worried, toss some cement on them.

I just slide a flat bar in and use that to beat the nails down.

I do the flat bar thing if I’m nailing them down.

Reason to pull them is nails can lift. And the bracket nails from the previous roof job were mostly loose and some starting to lift a little. (Why do nails lift?)

UPDATE: I’ve been able to pull them (4 so far). First step is to use some step flashing like a spring and let them raise up for 15-30 min. If the top ply is buckling between glue strips, then I separate it with heat.

I just use the roof jack in my hand.

You don’t want to pull the nails for at least 2 reasons (there are more).

The first and most important reason is that the nail you are intending to pull out is plugging a hole in the roof and that nail should be in a truss/rafter, so now you potentially have water sitting in the wood of a rafter/top chord.

The 2nd reason has already been addressed in bending the double laminate full length shingle usually results in ripping and or cracking.

My method of removing roof jacks and flushing the nails varies depending upon roof composition & temperature mostly.