Ridge Vents

Having new roof installed, and have proposal to install ridge vents versus electrical ventilators. Are ridge vents effective, and are there problems with leaking? Have also been told that a OSB sheathing (tech shield) is better than a modified hot shingle over a small section of flat roof. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

for a ridge vent to work (exhaust) you need to have intake vents prefferably in the soffitts. as for the 2nd part of your question…i dont think i understand what you are saying.

" Are ridge vents effective?"

Yes. If properly installed and used in conjunction with some kind of soffit/eave vent. The bad thing about fans are that the motors do burn out over time and they need to be replaced. IMO fans are more for applications where ridge vent is impractical or impossible to put on.

“…and are there problems with leaking?”

Shouldn’t be if you use a ridgevent with an interior baffle (like GAF SnowCountry). I would however be careful of installing it on a 4/12 or less if you live in a region that has heavy snowfall.

“Have also been told that a OSB sheathing (tech shield) is better than a modified hot shingle over a small section of flat roof.”

No clue what you’re talking about here.

Sorry, proposal for flat roof is to use a PVC single ply material. To redo the flat roof with a modified bitumen cost about $1,500 and the PVC $3,000. Area being covered is about 6.00 SQ. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks again.

yes the modified bitumen warranty is only good for 10 yrs usually,the pvc (if ib systems) can be as long as a lifetime warranty(residential),25yr commercial.