Ridge vent vs gable vent

I would like to get some opinions on venting. I need to replace the roof on my 1964 L shaped ranch. I have had 3 roofers out for estimates. Besides a huge ($6000) price difference they all have a different opinion on how to vent the roof. I currently have a large triangular gable vent on the front on the living space ( the stub on the L is the garage and has no ceiling or vent) and a temperature controlled fan at the back. The soffits have no vents. The first guy said I must have a ridge vent or the roof shingles will not be guaranteed. He said I should get rid on the temperature controlled fan because it could catch fire. The second guy said he would add a ridge vent if I wanted one. Basically no opinion either way. The third guy said that ridge vents were not recommended because of the large gable vent and no soffit vents. He said it would suck in air from the wrong area and leave a lot of dirt around the gable. I live in CT so, very hot and humid in summer and usually freezing and icy in winter. I just don’t know who to believe.
gg

You can keep your electric fans, they wont catch fire, :roll: they are your best solution unless you want to cover up the gable vents and drill a hunderd or more soffit vents, and then add a ridge vent. $$$$ I doubt highly that you are going to have any problems with your shingles that you would ever need the manufacturers warranty. ( it almost never happens)

Have your roofer install some new electric units at the ridge and some dormers ( o’hagins brand are barely noticible) in the lower third of your roof. youll be fine.

by the way get one more bid and then out of the two that are closest together ( you have found the truth ) :wink:

I think that both the opinions you have gotten are valid.
I agree with the first company that said that a ridge vent is the best type of ventilation. Studies have shown this. For it to work properly though, you would have to put many soffit vents in along all your eves to bring fresh air in. This air then flows up the roof deck and out the ridge vent. Keeping the roof cool in the summer, and because the outside air is drier than inside air in the cold weather it keeps the roof dry. You would also have to cover up and close the gable vents, because air would come in and go straight out the ridge. The center of the roof would receive no air movement.
I don’t however see why it is required. Unless you have had problems in the past, such as early shingle failure or even wood rot, it sounds like the current ventilation system is ok. I don’t see a need to change a system that has worked in the past. If however you have had a problem with early shingle failure, you might be wise to consider switching to the ridge vent, it could save you big in the long run.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I should leave the vents alone, and some of the other posts mention trouble with mold after adding the ridge vents. There have been no condensation problems that I know about. The top layer of shingles is cracked, but they tell me that was due to a manufacturing problem GAF had in the '80s. I’ve gotten two more estimates and they are in the $12000 range. The $6000 guy seems really desperate for work.
gg

I mostly agree with US roofing…if it aint broke, dont fix it…

MAny will tell you you need a ridge vent because:

A. They simply know no betterm and could care less if they ever know better, and are just repeating what somebody has told them, or

B: They are trying to sell you some ridge vent.

I have no ridge vent, no soffit vents, just gable vents with a couple of non-powered turbine vents. I have no mold issues, no condensation issues, Not an excessively hot attic, etc. Sometimes, its a wind test chamber up there.

Ask Gtape about his ventilation…he is well ventilated, but without all the hype.