Ridge vent filled with dense foam?

Had a new house built last summer and specified a ridge vent be installed. When my inspector did the final inspection, we could not see any light at all when looking up from inside the attic. He got up and inspected the vent and found that is filled with a very dense black foam. I suspect this is to keep critters out but would think it would seriously impede airflow and make the vent almost non-functional. I’ve had ridge vents before and never have seen anything like this. I checked the one sold at the local big box and it had no such filler foam and only a mesh screen to keep bugs and critters out.

An informal check of the attic temp followed, it was a sunny day in the mid to upper 80’s and the inspectors laser temp gun showed 128 degrees at the top of the ridge. I also have TechShield roof decking. We checked the house next door, which had cans instead of a ridge vent (no TechShield) and the temp at the top was about 140. So, I am getting “some” advantage but think it should be more than 12 degrees with a ridge vent and TechShield. Soffit venting is adequate.

Might it be worthwhile to have a roofer come out and replace this ridge vent with something less restrictive — any thoughts, roofing pros??

I believe that what you’re referring to IS the ridge vent (Cobra I), and your home inspector is wrong as they often are. I wouldn’t want to see daylight coming in through my roof.

Sounds like you have either Cobra Vent or GAF Snow Country ridge vent. Snow country is plastic with a small strip of black “foam” towards the outside of the vent. This helps keep out critters, bugs etc. and light flakey snow that can infiltrate some ridge vents. If it is Snow Country it will have an external baffle which will harness the power of the wind to “punp” air out of the attic when the wind kicks up, this will lower the temperature at times. A difference of 12 degrees may mean a more proportionate surface temperature difference compared to those can vents. If you have Cobra (looks sort of like a black furnace filter throughout) I would definitely replace it with a ridge vent with an external baffle, I use Air Vent Shingle Vent II. You can find more info on ventilation at www.airvent.com.

why do people even hire home inspectors? EVERYTHING they say is arbitrary, and unregulated. They have expertise in nothing except writing your invoice.

Why do people believe them over experts in a field? They have a ten hour class here covering EVRYTHING (LMAO), and then theyre off to tell stories and scare the chit out of unsuspecting homeowners. They seem to make a lot of money, though and people like paying them.

l
l
l
l
V

i use snow country and dont recall any black foam.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

i use snow country and dont recall any black foam.[/quote]

I think he is referring to masterflow product ridgevent.

Right you are- Timothy I was referring to Ridgemaster, I made a mistake( there now that wasn’t hard, admitting a mistake) I would replace the vent if it is ridgemaster.

I think the poor inspector took an undeserved shot below the belt here. Actually I, not him, questioned the vent. In other homes as mentioned I was always able to see some reflected or indirect light around the ridge from inside the attic when a ridge vent was installed. In this case, it was pitch black and from below we suspected that the roofers had cut the sheathing for the ridge vent but tarpapered over the opening.

Based on the suspicion, we noted it on the inspection report and the builder had the roofer come out and pull the ridge vent up to check. They took pictures showing the opening was indeed there and not tarpapered over.

At that point, we went back in and once he got up there he discovered the black foam filling.

I know we could debate the value of an inspector, especially on a brand new home but generally I have found them to be worthwhile. Also, it made him (not me) the bad guy with the builder since my relationship with the builder was already stressed but that’s another story.

Thanks for all the feedback - sounds like it is worthwhile to get it swapped out with something less restrictive.

i agree you should see indirect light through a ridge vent

I agree with the ‘indirect lighting’ being visible.

Question - why did you have to pull up the ridge vent to see if it was properly cut? Couldn’t you simply look & take photos from the attic (underside)? Even if it had been felted over, this would have been easier to repair from the attic side. I don’t know your attic, so possibly there’s restricted or incomplete access…