Replacing roof, need info and help with picking contractor

I am needing to replace the roof on the house that I just bought. the house is approx 50x30 and I would guess at maybe a 5/12 pitch. It is wavy in spots. I have gotten two estimates. One for $4g’s and the other for 6g’s. The differences were: #1, 15# felt, replacing only rotten wood, no ice dam sheild just layed differently, tear off, haul off clean up. #2, 30# felt, ice dam shield, and OSB over existing wood plus tear off haul off clean up. Bother were putting in new vent boots. My question is this… the original wood is ‘burnt’ from heat and lack of ridge vent being cut wide enough and also two square vents on back of house cutting down ridge vent ability, (this is what I was told), shoudnt the old wood be taken off though? Especially since it is obviously failing?

I am going to go ahead and post this and then I am going to go take some pictures so that you can see the decking from inside the attic.

I am just concerned that I will have the same problem if the wood is not removed and while I dont intend to sell the house anytime soon, if I did, I may have to do it all over again for the sale if it was sagging then, and to me that is just kind of stupid… I dont know… tell me what you guys think (it is 19 squares) and I am in southeastern ohio

Link to picutres: flickr.com/photos/shan2themax/

I can’t talk about price because there are too many variables but yes it sounds like all the wood should be replaced. Get 2-3 more quotes and compare prices. Oh, and OSB sucks, CDX is the way to go. DO NOT let them put good wood over bad.

Not really looking for price… really just astounded about 2000 difference for OSB… I know there are a few other variables… felt, ice dam shield, that sort… be OSB is very very cheap!!!

on 1900 square feet 2000 dollars is only 1 dollar a square foot. it should be more like double that if they use cdx and rip the old the right way. thery are not going to cut it to the beams for that price.
you still have to get it to the job and get it up and on. it is still .50sf materals and .50sf labor. thats low for the right job

that looks like a big problem to me. probably the cause of the ridge sag. also (if done properly) there is nothing wrong with OSB. 20 years ago i would have agreed, but nowdays OSB is actually pretty good stuff (if installed properly). in your area ice & water shield will be code.

but nowdays OSB is actually pretty good stuff (if installed properly).

I am currently trying to decide if cdx is worth the cost over osb, could you please elaborate on proper installation of osb?

plywood clips and 8d ring shank nails

…& Laid 8’ wide, 4’ high, not “up /down”.

Staggered so you get a brick layout & the vertical lines are interrupted.

Not exposed to the elements & are immediately covered with felt or an improved type deck overlay.

Not left exposed for 3 months with 15 # felt on it (personally, I think 30 # felt for your pitch is not really all that beneficial vs. 15 #).

That’s proper installation.

that too…sorry for my reply being so short…i have been pretty tired lately.

Insurance is paying about $1.78 a square foot for CDX here in MN.

Rip it to the rafters and start over. Then you know your roofing is right.

In my mind, if the contractors are immediately going for lowball pricing and sacrificing a quality job beforee the contract is even signed, imagine what will happen when they get up there to do the job.

Find a couple of QUALITY oriented companies, tell them what you want (as much as possible), and let them compete. The good ones will educate, or attempt to educate you on the finer points of a proper long-lasting roofing system.

These companies are rarely if ever the lowballers. They do not necessarily have to be the highest, but most times quality and lowest price do not mesh.

Hi,

What do you use as a criteria for the pitch and 30# felt?

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]
that looks like a big problem to me. probably the cause of the ridge sag. also (if done properly) there is nothing wrong with OSB. 20 years ago i would have agreed, but nowdays OSB is actually pretty good stuff (if installed properly). in your area ice & water shield will be code.[/quote]

How much extra ( and I realize that different areas will be different) could I expect to pay to have it all ripped off? Is there anything that I need to do about the ridge board? I noticed that when I was up there also, I just wonder if the garage was an after thought… I dont know…