Replacement Pipe Boots-Am I asking too much?

A great forum. One more question for the experts. Getting ready for a re-roof. Existing roof pipes are metal(4) and I am told the old boot is lead based with the wrap around the pipe totally chewed up by squirrels.

I want a replacement that is attractive, longlasting and impervious to squirrels. The plastic boot that roofer proposes looks cheap because it is cheap and the rubber/neoprene gasket certainly will not hold up. Are there any reasonable alternatives? I want to eliminate or keep maintenance issues to a minimum. I don’t mind paying more. I can’t believe something better is not available.

Thank you for your advice.

[quote=“TigerDunes”]
I want a replacement that is attractive, longlasting and impervious to squirrels. The plastic boot that roofer proposes looks cheap because it is cheap and the rubber/neoprene gasket certainly will not hold up.[/quote]

Maybe it depends on the weather but my neoprene boots lasted 25 years and didn't appeal to California squirrels. I just replaced them with a new set while re roofing....DaveB

I hope he is not proposing the all black plastic-looking flashing. No hope for that thing.

I do like the galvanized metal base neoprene flashing 3 in 1.
I do believe that this flashing might fail before the life of the roof if i dont do extra things to the neoprene seal. I like to paint my neoprene seal with soft polyureathane like vulkem/NP1 then paint the whole flashing and pipe with a color to match the roof.

or you could put an additional rubber gasket on top of the new galvanized metal base neoprene flashing and that will also keep the sun from ever touching the gasket below.

or you could paint the lead flashing(optional) and put a metal cage over it.
Just fold it over the pipe,mold it to the pipe, hold it on there with metal wire.

roof-lover

thank you for your reply.

“I do like the galvanized metal base neoprene flashing 3 in 1.”

what exactly is this? and where can I look at one?
what color is this galvanized base?

thank you.

If the rubber seals on your pipe boots wear out you can use one of these.

midwaywholesale.com/pages/ho … d_Item.xml

You can put them on with a new roof also, this way your rubber seals won’t ever wear out.

In my area they cost about $10.

Yeah, The ones I just installed are from Oatey, they look like my old ones but I didn’t look at the name on them before hauling them away. I hope the new ones last as long.

I have not seen the kind of boot you supplied the link for.

We use Lead. I have never seen a squirrel chew em. When we do work for the housing the demand lead. They last for ever. Physical damage is about the only way it will leak. assuming its installed properly?

maybe go with copper? I don’t think the squirrels like to chew on copper :mrgreen: