Repairs

Just wondering whats the best way to charge on repairs,hourly or lump sum,any input would help.

Both, depends on the situation…

Simple things like throwing in roof gaurds or vents,etc.

Hi,

Why do you ask?

because this is a roofing forum.

because i havnt done many repairs,i know how just want rough idea what to charge

charge how much you want to make. I have a $250ish minimum, even if i just caulk something.

Hi,

Do you know what it costs you to operate your business for every man hour?

This is the first thing you need to know. Then you can figure out what to charge. Going by some elses price could run you out of business.

I normally do a flat rate of what i know it will take. I do not do hourly because if something happens while the roof is being repaired then your time is off and you lose money. WHen i mean a flat rate it is starting at 300 and goes up from there. 15 foot of valley on a 4/12 i would charge 600 to remove ice and water and replace and it should take about 3 hours so with a guy making 20 an hour thats 60 and thats 10% of the grand total. Materials should be about 120.00 And that is 20% of the cost charged to the customer. Now you have 70% pure profit. Repairs and ment to make fast money, not break even or make a few bucks. Atleast thats the way i was taught. Everyone does things differently so what you feel that fits use it.

Hi Gtp1003,

There is a lot more expenses then that.

There are employee taxes, health insurance, retirement, vacation and holiday pay, life insurance, clothes, travel time, truck, gas, truck insurance, office work involved, billing, talking to the customer on the phone, …

Just a few off the top of my head.

Repairs are a big part of my business.

We do both time and materials and giving a firm price.

Time and materials is only used when there is too much that is not seen. I can figure most repairs out.

We just got a repair that they had someone else come in since we gave the price. They lost some more money. They thought we were to high. We bid it at 2 guys one day. It could take 3 hours or all day. There is a mess of attempts to go through first.

As long as you aren’t one of those guys that fixes everything with a tube of Geocel, you can charge a fair amount.

I won’t touch anything for under $175.
This is for easy stuff like a shingle blow off or replacing a pipe flange.
When it comes to a leak, I won’t do anything for under $275-$300.
Once you have your minimums set in your mind you can add cost of materials and/or an hourly rate.

Don’t let people tell you how easy the repair is and convince ya you should charge less. If it were that easy they would be up there doing it.

I do repairs almost exclusively and this system has worked well for me.

thanks James,I can work with that.

I do alot of repairs, 175 min for walkable roof, that would include one pipe collor and a few blowoffs or rechalking a chimney If I dont have the singles I charge for the time it takes me to go get them and buy them.

I do alot of repairs, 175 min for walkable roof, that would include one pipe collor and a few blowoffs or rechalking a chimney If I dont have the singles I charge for the time it takes me to go get them and buy them.

The only sealant i use is on a chimney’s counter flashing. And i use solar seal.