Realistic Income Potential for a Roof Salesman

What possible legal reason could the police have to ask you to leave a neighborhood? Were you canvassing in Nazi Germany or the old Soviet Union by chance?

[quote=“dstew66”]

What possible legal reason could the police have to ask you to leave a neighborhood? Were you canvassing in Nazi Germany or the old Soviet Union by chance?[/quote]

Dave.,majority of cities and municipalities require a permit for solicitation.If he (OP) had none the police would in fact ask him to pack it up.

And some of these regulations have stipulations on them.Like I believe it was either Moore or Norman Oklahoma that would let you knock with a permit.But only 1 day out of a month and that is only on the weekend.

Ah, yes, I keep forgetting about all those taxing statutes. I would be interested in reading one of those ordinances.

I had a conversation with the owner of the company I sell for today regarding OSHA and how much lost productivity is caused by the use of harnesses. I made the comment that as the owner of the company he doesn’t have to wear one. He said, technically I’m an employee of the corporation.

This much is true. I said that is how they get you. A corporation is a government created entity and anytime you voluntarily partake of any of their benefits you become their slave. I told him that was simple enough to solve, just dissolve the corporation and operate as a partnership. All of the employees are no longer employees but they become partners in business with you, even if it is a small percentage ownership. Now you no longer have employees, you no longer have OSHA and you no longer have to carry work comp insurance. You also no longer have the corporate shield to protect your personal assets. There are always trade offs somewhere. It’s all about getting out of their jurisdiction.

My Employed salesmen- Truck, benefits, cell phone, ipad, base salary, 22% over head, 22% gross. They average around 100k a year.

Subcontracted sales men, Low experience- 10% over head, 35% of gross.

Subcontracted sales men, High experience- 10% over head, 50% of gross. they do everything other than project management of the job.

I don’t provide leads to subcontracted sales men. I have them to bring in business i wouldn’t normally get.

Subcontracted sales men can make easily 100k in a good storm… I have part time sales men that just does this on the side, and they make 25-40k in partial/non storm environments.

My set up may not work for every one but it does for me.

In the past we used % of sales ticket, but switching to gross profits was the best decision i made.

Why? Because reps that get paid by Sales ticket, just push sales. So my guys would be excited to bring in $25k jobs with hardly any profit, but it didnt matter to them. Getting 4% of 25k was still $1000!!!

Having reps on gross profit still allows them to negotiate pricing with customers to close deals… but helps them make better decisions. Company makes little, they make little… company makes a lot, rep makes a lot… They will decide to let go of those jobs that are a waste of time.

[quote=“dstew66”]Ah, yes, I keep forgetting about all those taxing statutes. I would be interested in reading one of those ordinances.

I had a conversation with the owner of the company I sell for today regarding OSHA and how much lost productivity is caused by the use of harnesses. I made the comment that as the owner of the company he doesn’t have to wear one. He said, technically I’m an employee of the corporation.

This much is true. I said that is how they get you. A corporation is a government created entity and anytime you voluntarily partake of any of their benefits you become their slave. I told him that was simple enough to solve, just dissolve the corporation and operate as a partnership. All of the employees are no longer employees but they become partners in business with you, even if it is a small percentage ownership. Now you no longer have employees, you no longer have OSHA and you no longer have to carry work comp insurance. You also no longer have the corporate shield to protect your personal assets. There are always trade offs somewhere. It’s all about getting out of their jurisdiction.[/quote]

I got fined twice by osha, and i have subcontractors… which are not employees of the company… soo… i like the way your thinking… but i dont think it could work in my situation.

also if you make employees partners of the company, how does that affect when you need to let them go?

Know the numbers!! I am a manager with several guys whom I am responsible for. Regardless, with my company there is no smoke and mirrors. I am on straight commission of 40% profit after 10 % job cost overhead (capped at 1,000$). 40 AFTER overhead. This job cost and cap applies to my sales guys/gals as well. All sales ppl start on 30% of profit straight commission unless grandfathered in and self sustainable as far as training, exactimate,commercial, tpo,bidding and very knowledgable closing skills, etc. no bs who generated what lead etc. the numbers are what they are. Any lead I get goes immediately to a sales person. Ex. I am not going to hold and run a lead that might have 20k profit for myself. It goes to my guy/gal in the area! Good companies invest in their sales ppl. Blah blah: Any claim filed is 50$ and will be taken out if the roof is bought by insurance. Advances are given with respect to jobs pending as a draw ( taken out as a job cost). All of us have full access to acculynx, eagleview, and full office amenities ( fax, landline, computers, printing, will-calls, extensive advertising, and direct contact/negotiating with subcontractors) with no added or hidden costs. We ( managers AND sales ppl) negotiate with subcontractors and therefor know all job costs ( including supplier cost to company!). Knowing true cost is pertinent to responsible cost/profit analysis of YOUR job that you earn. Above all, you must be able to calculate these numbers and make your own decisions.

Any contract must meet 20%profitability to be paid out commission. ( not hard)

If this is your first 1099 job, record everything and have an honest and great CPA ( to write everything off)—whole different topic! Easy enough, just do it honestly( keep your stuff and the CPA will do the rest) and you will be fine.

Do your homework, there are many ways that people can work hidden costs into jobs if the powers to be do not have full disclosure. This can be the most rewarding and highest-paying job you have the opportunity to embrace. As with anything, especially construction or trades, there are 20-1 with greedy ill-intentions. Do your homework, know the math, embrace life and above all: give more than you take.

Do roofing salesman have to climb on the roof? I have a friend that is in sales but he’s too fat to be walking around on roofs.

Many communities you must file for a peddlers license. Go online for the city you’re canvassing.

I’m going to start doing sales this season at 10% of the gross sale, minus 10% off the top of the gross sale for office expenses, hope that’s decent pay. I don’t have any experience but I’m rather good at sales since I’ve had a highly successful career in advertising sales. Have to pay all my own expenses though so I hope it’s still worth it once everything is tallyied up at the end of the season. Only get 6 miles/gallon or so pulling my RV all over the country and have to commute from Montana so that expense will add up quickly I fear. Sure hope it’s a good year.

For my sales team I provide a road map to their Goals. A lot of companies say “oh yeah you can make 100k your first year just go knock doors and the money will come rolling in.” But after 40 no’s at the door they give up and go back to work at Walmart. I have seen with this road map it helps people get drive. They have a plan of action and it has improved our sales tremendously. I know it can be done very easily and I have several six figure producers in our company.

What are those hidden task lol!

That would be getting beyond that no when the homeowner has had 40 canvassers in the last year

Looks realistic to me as a roofing customer. Talkative salesperson let slip that he would make a bit over $1,500 commission on our metal roof sale, which comes to barely under 10% of the gross. 2 contracts per week should usually be doable, though not each and every week, there will sometimes be bad luck, illness, or whatnot leading to a week with 0 or 1, maybe average each month. The road map to $100K posted elsewhere says 6 per month gets you there! Gas is the biggest expense he mentioned; try to group your visits geographically when you can.

Wish you the best–looks like you have the attitude, just bone up on the detailed knowledge, too, so that you come across as confident.

why is that? just curious?