Re-roofing tile hip roof - South Florida

I am looking for some advice and questions I should be asking while I am getting quotes for replacing a tile roof on a small 2b/1b house in South Florida.

The hip roof is presently a 26 year old concrete barrel tile roof, house built in 1954. The house also has an L-shaped flat roof part (original build) attached to the hip roof portion that was recently replaced.

Q1: I have been told that a metal roof would make it very difficult if not impossible to re-roof the flat roof in 10 or so years because the metal panels could not easily be lifted to roll the paper under. True? Does this leave out the possibility of a metal roof? I know there are metal tiles, but not sure anyone in S. Fla could install them and suspect the expense is high.

Q2: Since the hip roof was re-roofed prior to hurricane Andrew, what extra modifications are required to be done during the re-roof due to the newer building codes? (I am also consulting my home insurance agent about discounts that are available for newer roofs). ? What should I make sure is included? The present roof base is slats, and we won’t know what condition they are in until the tiles and paper are removed. I believe that the tie downs now are on every other beam.

Q3: I would prefer a light colored roof for A/C savings. Can anyone help with the pluses and minuses of flat concrete tiles? The present concrete tile roof came through Wilma and baby Katrina like a champ… no damage. My understanding is that after metal roofs, concrete tile roofs are the next most hurricane resistant.

Q4: Finally I am wondering if there is a way to maximize the years between roof tile cleanings by making certain choices at the install. The tile surfaces on my roof are rough and get filthy after two years. My neighbor had a white flat concrete tile roof installed and it needed cleaning after less than two years. Another neighbor has the same style and I have never seen her clean her roof.

Thank you.

1. Yes, its true that most of the decent quality metal roofs would make it difficult to change the flat roof in the future. However, there are ways around this if you plan ahead and give up a bit of form for function (in some of the less visual areas). Don’t expect this from every roofer though, most will just wanna install a new metal roof and a new flat roof “wham bam thank you ma’am”

2. Since you are in Florida (the most over regulated state building wise) I am sure there will be multiple inspections to make sure everything is done to code (I mean, what ever the codes are this week). You shouldn’t have to worry yourself about this though.

3/4. I’m not really much of a tile guy (only installed one if my life), so I’m not really qualified to answer.