Re-roofing, contractor wants to keep old felt, this ok?

My roofing contractor says he usually puts felt over the old felt instead of removing it, or doesnt put new felt at all if it’s ok. Does this sound right? What should I make sure that he does regarding the felt.

I’m putting 30 year asphalt type shingles I think they’re GAF, not Elk, but the other popular brand.

The house is 14 years old and it’s the first re-roof.

Thanks in advance…

[quote=“dpmatson”]My roofing contractor says he usually puts felt over the old felt instead of removing it, or doesnt put new felt at all if it’s ok. Does this sound right? What should I make sure that he does regarding the felt.

I’m putting 30 year asphalt type shingles I think they’re GAF, not Elk, but the other popular brand.

The house is 14 years old and it’s the first re-roof.

Thanks in advance…[/quote]

Well I really wouldn’t let that happen . I believe the shingle manufacturer will not warrant that shingle if their wasn’t any underlayment . 30#felt min.
I would check the wrap on the shingles and see what it has to say about the idea of old or no underlayment at all . Hope I was some help . Good luck.

P.S. how will he check for popped nails in the sheathing if the paper remains ? remember though I remodel as well and I’m always safer then sorry .

hey danny,
i am ok with what your roofer says.
to me , whats under the shingle doesnt prolong the life of the shingle.
ive never torn of a roof and said " oh look, how much longer those shingles lasted cause they had 6 layers of felt paper underneath. no.

roof on.

gweedo.

The truth is… the composition shingle is only designed to keep the sun off the felt. The Felt is the last line of defence. So if your contractor is not recovering your old roof with new felt… you are not getting a reroof.
The 20, 30, 40 50, yr designations on your shingle type only refers to the length of time ther manufacturer anticipates the shingle will resist the sunlight/ weather. If the felt under that shingle were to deteriorate anyway that manufacturer would disclaim any liability.
It doesnt make sense not to install new felt. The risk outweighs the cost of felt… by a long shot. Id say get a new contractor.

i ALWAYS replace felt paper on a tear off (assuming thats what you mean by re-roof) if you are not tearing off and adding a second layer (which is not recommended) then you dont need the new paper. if he is tearing off and not using new paper then he is pocketing the money in labor time to remove the old, add the new, and all the material costs. sounds fishy to me. i have never met or seen a roof done in my 19 year career without new felt paper.

I would also replace the felt. for the price of it 15 bucks a roll its well worth the trouble. Sounds like a lazy contractor to me.

just like they said, if its a re-roof,you do not need felt paper if you are not tearing the roof off, you need drip edge and shingles, and depending on how good of a roofer you are and what kind of job you do, all the other little stuff like flashing,new pipe flanges,caulk,etc…But if you are tearing the old roof off, than you must have felt and yes we take all the old tar paper off till you see nothing but plywood, how else can you see if the wood is all ok ? Anyway, you should have hired us to do your roof !!! Im so broke Id travel to cali for a job and We live in nj !! only kidding about that… let us know what happens…Me, Id love to put roofers like that right out of buisiness, they are called butchers… skippy…no felt better ? no way.I hate when roofers that go over old felt,If they are doing that, what else are they doing wrong, and it may not be exactly wrong but it is not right,… If you are paying for new , you should get all new…sorry no spell check here either…what state?

were im at, there is so much water, that once the water makes it past the shingle, its over real quick, no matter what you got under the shingles.
oh im sorry " the felt protecters".
gimme a break.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]were im at, there is so much water, that once the water makes it past the shingle, its over real quick, no matter what you got under the shingles.
oh im sorry " the felt protecters".
gimme a break.

gweedo.[/quote]

Too true, some of the replies make me wonder if they are armchair roofers.

If you have a roof leak and the decking is bad the felt is bad too.

If you have busted 1X decking the felt is busted too…

Felt does not keep water out 100% thats what the shingles are for.

Something you guys also have to remember is what is done one thing where you live isnt the pratice 2 states away or even a system that works 2 states away.

As for tigman, this contractor must be doing something right, hes working this time of the year and your not :roll:

The reason we have governing bodies, like state licensing boards, ICC, UBC, BOCA, and the like is because too many contractors just make their own rules as they go With out regard to what is best for the client.
The best you can do as a businessman is to protect your reputation by doing the BEST you can do for your client, which will protect the reputation of the industry.
When you think of your competition or fellow roofers that you dont compete with, how do you think about them? does… hack, schlub, and butcher come to mind? When was the last time you saw a professional specification that said “new underlayment is optional”.?
On the otherhand I would be out of business if everybody just did what they were supposed to in the first place. so hack away boys! hack away!

[quote=“samskii”]The reason we have governing bodies, like state licensing boards, ICC, UBC, BOCA, and the like is because too many contractors just make their own rules as they go With out regard to what is best for the client.
The best you can do as a businessman is to protect your reputation by doing the BEST you can do for your client, which will protect the reputation of the industry.
When you think of your competition or fellow roofers that you dont compete with, how do you think about them? does… hack, schlub, and butcher come to mind? When was the last time you saw a professional specification that said “new underlayment is optional”.?
On the otherhand I would be out of business if everybody just did what they were supposed to in the first place. so hack away boys! hack away![/quote]

hahahaha…couldnt have said it better myself

i like monkey

to felt junkies

licencing boards , permit departments, this agency, that agency,
is exactly whats wrong with our country.
theese folks do nothin to keep the water out of the houses i roof.
i keep the water out.
if i was to follow all the wrong roofing practices made up by people who are not roofers i would have been run outta town long ago.
and the shingle manufacture also makes and sells felt.
so there not goin to put “felt optional” on there shingle wrappers.
to the contrary they’ll tell ya its a roof by itself, to sell ya a couple a truckloads.

again felt paper is used to protect the house until the shingles get laid and to make the roof more shure footed.
if ya think it does anymore than that, then go roof in ga. maybe youll learn somthin, cause them ole country boys dont use felt at all, and there roofs last just as long if not longer.

please dont type on this site if ya dont know what your typin about.

gweedo.

The goverment has your best intrest in mind :mrgreen:

Im sorry gweedo i have to agree with him. Doing something halfass does not make it right. DO it right the way you are told and go on with your day. If you want to reuse paper hack away at it. Codes are there for a reason and if moronic installers would follow them more often i would not have to put up with such stupid moronic installs that i see daily. SO I have to agree to follow the codes.

It kinda is like the roofers with general insurance not roofing insurance. Half assing one place where else is it going to be done.

Same goes with putting ridge vent on a home without soffit vents. It wont work it is mechanically unable to work. And saidly if the people read the packages the shingle come out of and the packages the vents come out of it explains how to install but we are all to busy to read.

I say do what you want so i can go and repair it since you cant. Tar buckets not needed here.

Sorry had to vent about a few things.

i agree with gtp. i think that about 50% of theadvice given here lately is sub-par :!: and even when we disagree on something its not in a friendly way. and a few of you out there are kind of mean when we disagree with you. i mean heaven forbid that there is probably a combined 500 years of roofing experience between all of us, but what would we know…by the way…i am a [size=150]roofing[/size] company, not a construction company. you may be a jack of all trades…but im a master of one!!

sorry i as well had to vent!! carry on :smiley:

thats it?

you guys are gettin soft on me.

gweedo.

I too agree Marshall. Its just getting frustrating when you know better and some people swear up and down they know what they are talking about but in black in white it is different. I will say i have heard some good ones here. I have no problems with anyone on this site. My problem is the terrible advise that is being given out. People talk about things they know nothing about and then argue when they know they are wrong. Hey i know nothing about flat roofs and i DO NOT post about them because i dont know. Some people should take that and think about it. You know if im talking about you.

Gweedo we just know thats the way you are. I dont beileve in your ways but if you are getting away with it that is your business not mine. I just was taught to do it right the first time. If you dont have the answer get it from a relaible source.

I will say some of the stuff going on here is some of the reason QRFL had left. He was a good poster and he is here no more because of bickering and the BS that goes along with it. I will also say i myself had problems when i first started posting 2 years ago but i have learned to get along.

In closing, I do not put shingles on homes i do not sell what is not needed i sell complete watertight roofing systems. Not shingles anyone can do that and they do every day. For those who know me on this site know i tell it like it is and help everyone i can without stepping on toes. Maybe we should start all getting along and sticking to what we are good at and not posting about what we THINK we know. With that if im wrong and i research into it and i found myself at fault i will recant what i have said and say i was wrong.

I feel bad that i have to post this but maybe if we think before we type people that come to this site can be helped rather than become confused with bs no one has ever heard of. Lets help those who come to our site rather than argue and talk about theorys. And for those who dont know me i have paid my dues on roofs. This is my 14th year in the business. Started out as a laborer now i run the day to day ops for 2 crews and sell. So its not like im green. Good day to all.