Re-Roof Questions

great forum here.

just an average homeowner looking to re-roof. There are two roofs, the original plus another which will be torn off. Southeast non coastal location.

I am looking at the 30 yr architectural type shingles.

these brands-Certainteed(Landmark series).GAF/Elk(Prestique HD 30 series,Tamko(Heritage series). Any reason to purchase the heavier model such as 40 or 50 yr mdl?

any problem with any of these? if so, be specfic.

on Ridge vents, are there different types and if so, what type is preferred?

I have squirrels that frequent my roof. are there different type materials for these vent pipes that are not susceptible for squirrels to eat?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Landmark or Timberline prestique. Both good.

Squirrels seem to like the lead pipe flashings, I haven’t seen any damage to the galvanized with rubber collar. Its odd that they will eat up the lead on one house but not touch the house next door, one must taste better than the other. If you are having problems with squirrels eating your lead try the galvanized with rubber collar, I don’t recomend the neoprene flashing because they don’t last as long as the roof.

any comment on Tamko or just stay with GAF/Elk and Certainteed?

is it worth it to upgrade to a 40 or 50 yr shingle?

do I assume that roofing shingle warranties look good until one looks at the fine print and really for the most part, they are about as valuable as the paper they are printed on?

and what is the best type of ridge vent?

thanks for the replies…

[quote=“TigerDunes”]any comment on Tamko or just stay with GAF/Elk and Certainteed?

quote]
Everyone here has their own opinion.
Many might only have one or two brands to choose from.
If i had an even pick between the three.
My choice would be between Tamko or Certainteed.

The roofer choice is most important.[/quote]

I prefer Gaf/Elk Timberline Prestique H.D…Cobra ridge vent…Have your roofer quote your roof job using Shingle Mate paper,it lays flatter to give you a clean ,flat looking roof …You won’t be sorry.
Also ask for Weather Watch Ice & Water shield and Seal a Ridge cap shingles…Intigrated roof system.This gives the best chance that the manufacturer stands behind the roof…if all the products are theirs…If the contractor is Certified this is called the System Plus Warranty…

the value of these extended warranties are really overated. I sell them only on rare occasion. Is kinda like the warranty car salesman sell. but there is a small market for it like in the case of condo associations where they tend to not trust any contractor no matter what. Of course GAF likes to get more money just like in the flat roofing warranties.

[quote=“TigerDunes”]any comment on Tamko or just stay with GAF/Elk and Certainteed?

is it worth it to upgrade to a 40 or 50 yr shingle?

do I assume that roofing shingle warranties look good until one looks at the fine print and really for the most part, they are about as valuable as the paper they are printed on?

and what is the best type of ridge vent?

thanks for the replies…[/quote]

Tamko would also be an excellent choice. There are plenty of roofers on here that will stand behind all three brands, but Tamko is my brand of choice. As for the ridge vent, I used Lomanco OmniRidge, ShingleVentII, and Cobra and have not had any problems with any of them.

My supplier switched to tamko recently and i have no complaints on em thus far.
The only real complaint is the $15 per square increase come next week. When will it stop?
$125 by the end of the year is what some are saying. ouch.

Both GAF and Certainteed are very good shingles, I personally tend to lean towards Certainteed but that’s just a personal preference.

When choosing a shingle warranty (25 yr, 30 yr, 50 yr) you should consider a few things.
What are your areas weather conditions?
How long do you plan to live in the house you plan to roof?
How much are you willing to spend?

If you don’t plan on living in the house for more then 5 years, 25 to 30 is a wise choice.
On the other hand, if you expect to spend the next 10 to 20 years living there and it is within your budget, 30 to 50 yr shingles would probably be a better choice.

Choosing a type of ridge vent is decided after speaking to the homeowner. Again, it depends on how long they plan to live in the house and there budget.
My choice for cheap and effective ridge vent is Cobra Vent.
My choice for someone that has a bit more to spent is Shingle vent 2 Roof Ventilation.

I’ve never seen anything impervious to squirrels, the best protection I’ve used are cages. These cages can be modified to fit snugly over the pipe flanges and protect them from squirrels.

[quote=“Adept Roofing”]
I’ve never seen anything impervious to squirrels, [/quote]

Hi Adept, Do squirrels ever damage shingle vent 2 ridge vent? I'm putting some on my new roof that din't have it before, hope it won't create a problem with the squirrels that run across my roof?  
Regards, DaveB

[quote=“daveb”]Hi Adept, Do squirrels ever damage shingle vent 2 ridge vent?
Regards, DaveB[/quote]

Hi Dave,
I’ve never seen them chew up ridge vent before.
Unless you currently have problems with squirrels entering at the ends or corners of your ridge, I wouldn’t worry about it.

[quote=“Adept Roofing”]
Unless you currently have problems with squirrels entering at the ends or corners of your ridge, I wouldn’t worry about it.[/quote]

Thanks, Adept. No problems with them chewing on the old roof. Seems like they just used it as a highway to get from behind the house to the front yard, I guess it’s easier for the little buggers to run over the top than to go around.

This is the order I would go with, from first choice to last choice,

Landmark
Heritage
Dynasty
Cambridge
Duration
Oakridge
Timberline

I really don’t think there is that much of a different between the 30’s and 40’s. When you jump to the 50’s you will get a noticable from the ground appearance.