Rant

Ok guys & gals This is just a rant about GC in my aera sw Arkansas texarkana.I have been in this area for 10 years working ,in the last two years the illeagals have totally driven the price of roofing down to the point it is really not worth doing.Example went to bid a commercial job a video store,78 square 25 on 25 off $300 for dump fees $4,200 !! yep just called me back ,no go .asked what the problem was said they could get it done foe 3000.I ask who was gonna do it, mexicans .Its sad when you cant get 25 a sq :roll: Ok whew a little better now

Holy spell check batman :stuck_out_tongue:

And if/when there’s a problem there won’t be any “roofing company” or insurance to go back against. Of course, if one of these guys gets hurt on the job…and there’s no workers comp insurance…he’ll get to pick up that bill too. He’ll be back.

Jackson

Get used to it, thats the way it is now. You either have to play like they do or you have to find your own way to beat them. They are not going to change, they are making good money for themselves, probably more than they have ever made and they are happy with it. You can’t fight these low bidders, they are here to stay!!!

Good Luck!!!

[quote=“G-Tape”]Get used to it, thats the way it is now. You either have to play like they do or you have to find your own way to beat them. They are not going to change, they are making good money for themselves, probably more than they have ever made and they are happy with it. You can’t fight these low bidders, they are here to stay!!!

Good Luck!!!/quote

Every man has the right to work ,but why cut throat ? Hurts both company’s in the long run, have respect for your trade!!! I know they will be gone & I will be stuck with the repairs :mrgreen: Like I said just a rant . Nice board[/quote]

Remember when you guys thought I was crazy when quoting per hour pricing? Like I said, I’m based in Houston so I’ve lost touch with the way the rest of the world works outside of Texas.

Do you really think it is the low bidders or the true ability to sell? The way around them is to sell the service and you not the product. Every tom dick and harry is going to put on ABC material on the roof, the trick is selling quaility, service and yourself. I hear on this site atleast once a week about low bidders being the problem. That has been around since day one and people are still in business, it is with everything we do and everwhere we go. Why do you buy sony when the gpx version is 100 dollars cheaper? Why did you buy firestone tires when the sears brand was 80 dollars cheaper? Do you see where im going with this?

Ok i have a few questions, please answer here to make it easier.

Do you look around the inside of the home quickly when you are selling your roof to see what there buying patterns are?

Do you notice what type of cars they are driving?

Do you look at the shoes by the door?

Heres a good one do you ask for the sale more than one time in different closing methods?

Do you bring proof of your insurance and encourage them to call to verify that the insurance is valid?

I could go on for an hour here but you know there is alot that goes into selling a roof, sididng, windows or whatever. When you walk in a home with a sony big screen and a nike air shoes at the door it should tell you something about how this person spends his or her money. They buy a big name from reputation and the illusion of quality. No we are not big like them but we can act like them dont you think? Some sales are lost in the first 5 minutes of talking from how you look (dressed, dirty and or smelly) to what you say. Now most are sold on how you say it. Not what you say. Price will only be a number unless you bring it to the level you have. No we can not compete with lowballers but why would you want to.

Lets say you do 10 roofs at 500 dollars profit thats 5000.00 right now lets do 5 roofs with a 1000 profit for that same 5000.00 with half the risk.

Why are you not prequalifying the lead when it comes in so you dont run into the price only people? Believe it or not most americans (please re-read that) do not have a problem spending 500 dollars more on a job if you make that 500 dollars worth more to them with selling the job rather than passing out paper with numbers on it. Why do you run to the lead as soon as they call?

I could go on but hey i have a life. in closing, why complain when you can beat them rather than sitting on this web site complaining about boo hoo the lowballers bite my ass again. Maybe the reason the customer went with a lower price is they did not know the difference between you and them. Maybe you went after shingling 9 hours and were dirty. Maybe the reason was they did not show the intreset ito the customer on why im better than they are. It comes down to the reason you lost the job to a low baller is you have failed to convice the customer your price was a better investment in there home. Enough said.

Commercial work is totaly different and that is not my line of work so would have no clue but remod is where my expertise lays. Sell or be sold its up to you.

You will not win every job but if you sell 2 more roofs a week at a higher price thats 104 more jobs you make money on. Do whatever you want but my price is still 235 a square to start on a walkable.

gtp, I am going to disagree with you on some points and agree on others.

I agree that if you want to sell you and your workmanship and company, then yes, do what you say. But…selling for as long as I have, its not the salesman, its the customer. 99 times out of 100, the customer has already made up his mind on how he is going to buy. YOUR job is to find out that answer and pass on them if thats not what you are selling. A low price customer is looking for 1 thing, the lowest price, that is all. Nothing you do or say will change his mind.
You have to find out if the customer is a lowest price customer, he may not tell you, but with certain questions you can feel them out. If you aren’t a low price company, and there is nothing wrong with that if you are, you need to pass on that customer and get the customers interested in what you sell, be it quality, service, a neat jobsite, etc. Don’t let the customer pick you, you pick the customer.

I will agree with how he is going to buy but what he is going to buy he does not really know. The low price customer is removed from the equation with pre-qualifing In 1 month i might see 1 or two of them out of 110 estimates. I will not waste my time nor waste there time. I pick the leads that i know i can work with and throw alot away. Out of those 150 leads i get i might see 110 people. I agree with picking the customers that also ties into pre qualifing the customer. One way to weed them out is this: Have you had a professional come out and look at the project and what its needs are? The people 90% of the time will tell you how many people they have called and after a few more questions i throw at them i get to know what they are looking for before i waste my 3 dollar a gallon gas.

Long story short i eliminate the low price people before i even see them. with that I rarely have to deal with cheap people and when i do come across them i know within the first 5 minutes of talking to them. SO either way i pick and chose what i do and what i wont do. But i agree with what you said.

I agree almost every customer looks for the price obviously… But there are some that if a horse can be trained to put a roof on… they hire the horse rather then a professional to save a buck …

Good thing is that some are honest and tell you straight out :

"I’ll be honest with you : i am getting another 8 quotes for my 6 shingles repair and i am mainly looking for price "

Pride has a good point … your main goal is to educate them on all you are giving them and why is very risky to hire someone under the table… after that if they still just want price then i guess you can get water out of a rock…

But on the other hand i have had customers specially referrals where as long as i am not outrageously expensive they will hire me in a sec. since they are looking at the rest of the stuff not just the $ sign.

Market her has been dead all year long … we have had almost no rainfall at all all year … very dry season… excesive heat…Guys are giving the roofs away … then they get them … become forced to cut corners… then when the rainy season comes they got nothing but problems…

like G-tape said

1 company suffers for not selling their legit products due to cheap competitors

the other lowbailing company suffers when they rain comes and all their garbage installations leak

We have to learn to live with it i guess … thats why i make calculators :mrgreen:

Never called them hacks, just have some pride in your craft, the lowballing has to stop!!!

G-Tape That some good stuff guys
gtp1003

This topic has been brought up many times in this board … all it takes is search for the term lowbidders … I resent the way he refers to the mexicans in the first original post and blaming illegals … It is not right but is bull shit when someone is blaming a stereotype.

Where i am at all the tear off labor is only done almost by illegals … Since i used to be a labor with them and i know how most of the companies here work and the way the owners think… the companies know this and they still do it … why??

because no one. Who fully speaks english and can get another job where your not eating fiberglass in the scorching sun all day will do tear off.

Is not true … the market is is beign brought down by lowbailers … but to stereotype illegals and mexicans is bullshit … because MOST of this " illegals " i know here are hired by americans who are only driving a nice truck with A/C and just yell at the radio , Even one of the most honest contractor i know here i would say that probably about 75% of his employees are illegals…this contractors get away Lowbailing jobs because they wont give a raise to their illegal employees since they are so scared of getting fired and not having a job.

So dont gimme this bs about illegal mexicans bringing the market down !!

Becasue the honest truth is that EVERYONE!! when they get to the point of no sales … they start beign crooked as hell.

I hate lowbailers also… this year has been terrible … But i am not going to point fingers

Hi,

Even one of the most honest contractor i know here i would say that probably about 75% of his employees are illegals

I do not call that honest.

I thought about it for a bit today and i forgot to add something here. People buy from the low bidder because they do not know any better. The salesman has failed to comunicate your message. When people are educated then they know what they are buying and what the could have bought at a lower price. I agree there are some people that just buy on price and i am not refering to them. I am talking the normal run of the mill customers. They are the ones who do not know any better. If they have a plazma tv they have no problem spending money.

So dont gimme this bs about illegal mexicans bringing the market down !!

I hate lowbailers also… this year has been terrible … But i am not going to point fingers

Did not mean offend any one,it is that is what is going on in SW ARK

np we are just expresing our experiences on our separate corners of the country :wink: