Racking vs ladder application?

was just wondering contracors opinion on laying shingles the step ladder application way versus the racking style?

Ladies and gentlemen…let’s get ready to rummmmmmbbbbbbleeeeeee!

I stack 'em.
I hate racking them.
This is one of those “tast great! less filling!” arguments.

really? i had no idea this was a touchy subject on roofing. i have done it both ways.

I’ve been on sites where guys have literally torn each other to shreds over this.

It’s funny.

They get so emotional as if there’s only one right way to do it.

It’s usually a generational thing…younger guys vs old timers like me (old timer relatively speaking…I’m only 39, but I have 25 years in).

Personally, I like stacking them. I’ve racked them and a I’m fast either way…it’s just more comfortable for me.

Plus, safer, more convenient, it makes more sense logistically and the roof get’s finished off one section at a time making it easy to move over any brackets and planks.

Racking is preferred by manufacturers for two reasons: less chance of missed nails (make up for lazy or unprofessional installers) and it supposedly hides color variations better if one bundle comes out of a bad batch (which never made any sense to me…a bad bundle is a bad bundle is a bad bundle and they can be seen whether racked or stacked).

But that’s just my personal choice. I can’t knock a man for his own preferences. In the end, all that matters is that they go on right.

:mrgreen:

[quote=“2ndGen”]I’ve been on sites where guys have literally torn each other to shreds over this.

It’s funny.

They get so emotional as if there’s only one right way to do it.

It’s usually a generational thing…younger guys vs old timers like me (old timer relatively speaking…I’m only 39, but I have 25 years in).

Personally, I like stacking them. I’ve racked them and a I’m fast either way…it’s just more comfortable for me
Plus, safer, more convenient, it makes more sense logistically and the roof get’s finished off one section at a time making it easy to move over any brackets and planks.

Racking is preferred by manufacturers for two reasons: less chance of missed nails (make up for lazy or unprofessional installers) and it supposedly hides color variations better if one bundle comes out of a bad batch (which never made any sense to me…a bad bundle is a bad bundle is a bad bundle and they can be seen whether racked or stacked).

But that’s just my personal choice. I can’t knock a man for his own preferences. In the end, all that matters is that they go on right.

:mrgreen:[/quote]

You mean stacking is prefered?

Next question is, are you a flipper or a skipper…lol. I prefer to step em, if architectural, less waste, and faster to nail without lifting a shingle that is almost sealed to the previous row,by the time you get back to it. If 3tab it is easier to book em and I have seen plenty of roofs w/skipped nails.

[quote]

[quote=“johnk”]

:mrgreen:[/quote]

You mean stacking is prefered?[/quote]

John!

What’s up my brother from another mother?

I never got a stat on that.

So far, it’s been like 50/50.

The West seems to prefer racking.
The East (as far as I’ve seen) stacking.

[quote=“2ndGen”]

[quote]

You mean stacking is prefered?

John!

What’s up my brother from another mother?

I never got a stat on that.

So far, it’s been like 50/50.

The West seems to prefer racking.
The East (as far as I’ve seen) stacking.[/quote]

its going good bro,raining here in Beautiful B.C,how about you?

LOL!

Something told me it must be raining because you’re on the computer in the middle of the day!

But…more work for later.

:slight_smile:

It’s good.

It was famine a few months ago…now it’s feast.

I just snagged a nice job; a landmark property in NYC that will be featured in AD (Architectural Digest).

I’m blessed.

Awesome 2nd Gen,whats your excuse,raining in NY?LOL

I like to rack three tabs and step laminates.

Did a 30sq addition on a 80sq house with three tabs this year. Other than that all laminates.

When I used to do 50+ three tabs roof per yer by myself my fingernails would be worn down to nothing flipping tabs and my finger tips would burn.

Don’t miss those boring three tabs at all.

To each their own though.

:smiley:

Nah…late material delivery.

So I called it a 1/2 day today.

Looks like I’ll be lucky if I can pull a full day tomorrow (supposed to start raining in the afternoon with a full day of rain the next day).

[quote=“dougger222”]I like to rack three tabs and step laminates.

Did a 30sq addition on a 80sq house with three tabs this year. Other than that all laminates.

When I used to do 50+ three tabs roof per yer by myself my fingernails would be worn down to nothing flipping tabs and my finger tips would burn.

Don’t miss those boring three tabs at all.

To each their own though.[/quote]

I could see the “whys” in stepping back laminates.

And I feel the same…ultimately as long as they are nailed right and are relatively straight, that’s all that matters in the end.

And I lovvvvve gloves!

:smiley:

Especially these for Roofing (made “with” ashpalt):

http://abccatalog.com/store/images/products/5789460028.jpg

Youngstown Equipment Co.,
Roofer’s Plus Gloves, Large,
#03-3060-80-L

The Roofer’'s Plus glove is reinforced with extensive, double-stitched asphalt.
This glove is specifically designed for abrasive applications.

abccatalog.com/store/viewitem.as … 5789460028

i run shingles both ways.
stair step up valleys.
rackem up rakes. etc.

gweedo.

hey dougger 222, i use blue blocker gloves i get from kaplan bros. they are 0.69 a pair or 7.50 for a pack of 12 pairs. when they wear out i toss them and grab a new pair. they breathe really well so your hands dont get to warm. they have two store`s. one in minneapolis and one in brooklyn park off of cty rd 81 just north of 694. you might already know this but i thought i would pass it along.

I run shingles according to manufacturers specs.

Normal architectural shingles get racked (stair steps) or you can cheat and rack 3 and then bring the 4th all the way back. Need to really watch your nail pattern on the latter method though but it allows you to move faster vertically.

Don’t really do 3-tabs much anymore but they run straight up the roof with the rain eyes pin straight.

dont put on 3 tad shingles and then yopu dont have to worry about it :mrgreen:

Hi J,

Yeah, that makes sense, although I think the time saved in “not” lifting the shingle washes out with the inability to stay in one area at a time.

I think it’s all relative. If one is frustrated by having to move sideways, then they won’t perform as well as if their moving up a roof.

I’m not in any way disagreeing with you though.

Out of the disposables, I love Atlas gloves best.

Me personally I prefer to move up the roof as opposed to across the roof, but that’s just because of bad knee’s.
As long as it doesn’t leak what does it really matter. lol