Quick/cheap temporary 'fix' for a sloped shingled roof?

A few months ago, I obtained great info from this forum regarding properly replacing my roof which is in very bad shape. I had a family friend new-business lined-up with Certainteed shingles. Then, the business, the economy, & much of my available cash all collapsed. Now, although I know that doing it ‘right’ is the best solution, I want to do ‘something’ to limp the roof thru until next summer, when my options may be better. Advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

QUIT COMING HERE BUMING AROUND, hire some 1 that will do the job,thats like me goin 2 a mechanic and trying to get him to fix my fuse

Hello,

Ignore roofer 12345.

Post some pictures and tell us what you want done before winter hits hard.

Keith

Lets see what you have so we can see whats going on.

Ignore that guy he just starts trouble here.

yeah…lets see it!

probably trying to get enough food stamps together for a camera,duno peace out

A blue tarp is very ugly. but it is an effective temp job.

It would be better if you did your roof right NOW.
Dont even wait until next week. Do it right now.

You wont be able to save money faster than the rising prices. It is outrageous .

I am not your salesman. I have nothing to gain from telling you these things.

The material for your roof has gone up 50 percent since earlier this year. By next summer, the price isn’t going to be lower. I promise. It is going to be higher and not by an insignificant amount.

So even if you called your roofer friend right now, today please dont expect to pay him the amount he told you. the prices are much higher.
We are also expecting mass increases right now.
And its no joke.

Lets take a small 25 square roof for an example.
This year in may2008 total material cost was 2100 dollars.
Thats 84 dollars a sq total for material.
Today the cost is 3000 for that exact same material.
Thats 120 a sq total for material.

By next summer you dont even want to know how much it will cost and you wouldn’t believe me if i told you.

In my opinion, No licensed/properly insured company should be charging much less than 300 a sq total for their roofing right now.
That would be with very little OVERHEAD.
Got an office? more
Got a yellow page ad? more
Have staff besides roofers? more

You want them to answer the phone years down the road?
Or do you want the cheapest price from someone that doesnt know how to estimate or calculate cost who is soon to be out of business.

[quote=“roof-lover”]It would be better if you did your roof right NOW.
Dont even wait until next week. Do it right now.
You wont be able to save money faster than the rising prices. It is outrageous .
[/quote]

I think he's saying he can't afford to do the job now and can only hope to find a way to patch it till things get better? 
I'm not a roofer but I'd look for the worst spots and try to insert pieces of tarpaper or tin up under the cracked  shingles?  Maybe use some of the sticky black patching material in certain spots? If it's steep enough it seems like it would be possible to keep most of the water on the right side for one more year?

When money is tight and the future isn’t looking so bright, A bucket of tar and a trowel is your friend.

I agree with roof lover…and also that a 30’x50’ tarp is the least expensive least effort solution for a quick cover solution…It is also blue on one side ,and gray on the other…lol
I also have to add that 12345 is a clown and all should ignore his nonsense comments…obviously he makes enough money that he can afford to stay high 24-7…How??? I guess stupid enough people that take a bid from anyone that has a pulse…

karnak it!!

[quote=“jwoolfsroofing”]obviously he makes enough money that he can afford to stay high 24-7…How???
[/quote]

Based on over-indulging  dopeheads I've seen it's probably something like...takes advantage of friends ? lives in moma's garage? ugly wife with a job? grandma died and he sold her house?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnWgz-mVMXU)