Question

I never realized this … but … is the guy on the header image laying down shingles directly on wood ???

either that or,he’s using tan base sheet.

maybe is that new invisible underlayment because i think i can make out the 1x6 in the picture HAHA

They do that all over here in west virginia I cant believe it

uh, i beleive his allmighty gweedo was trying to
to enlighten his fellow roofing gods here, several months ago, that what kind of underlayment is not
so important,and in the rite application , its not even needed.

so yes it does ammuse one gweedo.

learn thall shall, at roofing.com

gweedo

:expressionless:

gweedo has spoken…we tried to listen :?

Gweedo… must to PLEASE become one with the spellcheck!

Syntax I can live with, but spelling!!!

[quote]uh, i beleive his allmighty gweedo was trying to
to enlighten his fellow roofing gods here, several months ago, that what kind of underlayment is not
so important,and in the rite application , its not even needed. [/quote]

I agree with Gweedo to a certain extent, provided that the house(s) in question breath well.
I have done more than one full tear off paid for by the insurance company just because there was no underlayment on an otherwise good roof.
In regions were we have snow and ice underlayment is necessary, ice & water shield is required by code.
2’ beyond the interior wall line on all heated eaves.
We just did a house in which we put 5 courses of ice & water shield on one area over a covered porch.
Do I think it needed it? No.
Is it required by code? Yes.
If there is a storm and some shingles get blown off the underlayment protects the house until repairs can be made.
Without underlayment your shingles are no longer rated class “A” for fire rating.
Felt serves as a barrier between the roof deck and the back of the shingle, without it the wood will leach the oils out of the shingles causing them to dry out and crack sooner.
Good roofers will always use underlayment…
To all you homeowners out there reading this, if your roofer is trying to tell you that you don’t need underlayment, find a different roofer.
The same as “beware of roofers carrying tar buckets”…
Your home is your biggest investment and its roof protects all of your belongings.
This is not a place for shortcuts or “cutting corners”.
Felt is cheap there is no good reason not to use it.
*Ice & water shield is expensive and should be used on the eaves (2’ beyond the interior wall line), in the valleys, around chimneys, and always around skylights.

• In northern climates.
    On an average job Ice & water shield is roughly 1\3 of the roof.

As a professional roofer I am required to sell a complete roofing package to my customers.
That means new boots, drip edge, underlayments, new flashing when needed, proper ventilation, etc…
They get to pick the type and color of shingle and the color of the drip edge, I choose everything else…
When we are done they are so pleased with the result that they tell all their friends. :smiley:

Did you ever notice the guy in the bottom L is doing a partial tear off on a 2 layer?

It looks like he’s NOT going to remove the base layer of shingles, otherwise he would have already torn off the other shingles (IMO).

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Did you ever notice the guy in the bottom L is doing a partial tear off on a 2 layer?

It looks like he’s NOT going to remove the base layer of shingles, otherwise he would have already torn off the other shingles (IMO).[/quote]

HAHA that reaminds me of a neighboor who refused for me to fix his roof and removed the top layer of comp and coated the second layer with white coating , to cover the wholes from the top layer…

I think :expressionless:

ranchhand make gweedo laugh hardest.

gweedo

Axiom, you stated that you always put ice/water around skylights.

I know this is required by the manufacturer, other penetrations as well… but I’ll admit I"m confused.

My question is: What good is ice&water only around the skylight? Wouldn’t common sense tell us to run it not just around the skylight, but from the skylight all the way down to the eave?

I guess I’m confused when I see the diagrams on the GAF or Certainteed site that shows all the different places ice and water is ‘needed’. They want ice&water around a pipe in the middle of the roof. Where does the water go after it rolls off the water&ice?

Thanks.

Hello,

We install I&W from the eave upto and around skylights. They are a great heat loss source here in Alaska, so they tend to ice up and leak. The only other penetrations that we might put I&W around are fart fans or kitchen hoods.

Keith

That is how we would do it.

The I&W shield goes over all your penatrations to give you your extended warrenty through GAF… You shingle up to it before you install your I&W and stick it over your shingle so it flows out.