Proper way to seal this?

Hello. I’m getting some water coming in from this metal roof and believe I may be looking at the culprit here:

What’s the proper way to seal this pipe with the compressor tubing? Seems like the foam, black tape and duct tape are not the right way to go. :wink:

Thanks

do your best, and caulk the rest :slight_smile:

Is there some type of cap that one would use in this case?

i’ve never seen on…it’s always caulk… well, you can make one i guess, but caulk usually works… i’d get Solarseal 900… it’s very nice, and so far i had no problems with it

get a cap like the one on the left has or a heat flue cap would work(type b gas)if necessary,seals the joints on the left and right pipe where they join w/GEOCELL 2300—USUALLY A SHEET METAL SHOP CAN MAKE YOU A PROPER CAP IF THERE`S ONE IN YOUR AREA

a secton of the insulation gets removed and they should go through a pitch pocket.

Hoss, I may be incorrect here however I think his question was about the top of the pipe & not the base.

If it’s the base, would the customer please provide a better photo of the pipe to roof connection?

looks like a monster escaping from the roof!!! haha

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Hoss, I may be incorrect here however I think his question was about the top of the pipe & not the base.

If it’s the base, would the customer please provide a better photo of the pipe to roof connection?[/quote]

First, thank you all for the responses. I wish I knew if it were the top or the base! Actually, I’m not on site, but am getting info second hand from someone who is local. All that’s sure is that water is coming inside somewhere around this area. :frowning:

Those on site believe the various “protrusions” through the roof are sealed, so I was asking here specifically about the top of that pipe where the hoses come out because it looks like such an amateur job with 2 types of tape, plastic, etc. I was wondering if there was an accepted “correct” way to do this as having uncovered vertical tubes for the condenser coming out of that pipe seems like a recipe for disaster.

That all said, I don’t have any better photo and can ask for one. If we assume the base/roof joint is solid, is there an accepted right way to handle the top where the tubes egress?

Thank you all.

When you install the flash pipe with a bow, do you have not problems whit water. The water follow the compressor tubing inside the house. The compressor tubing must come from down.

pitch box

RHR
i am missing the top and bottom thing but a pitch pocket, pitch pan or a pitch box. call it what you want but it only works one way. i have seen them under 6 inches of water and not leaking. the two part pourable sealer is expensive so its never done right.

meki
i think i know what your saying a “goose neck” thats works but you have to get an ac guy to drain and disconect the lines to install it. it has no maintance.

gaf makes m-curb system . every company has one for their roof.
cutting the top off a solar seal tube and rubbing it on with a glove of love is job security though. you will be back every year.