Proper way to lay weather watch

i’m getting into the roofing business and some roofers i’ve talked to lay the weather watch over the felt and others lay it directly to the osb board. what do most roofers do?

I take it your state does not require roofing contractors to be licensed. Ask your foreman or jobsite leader. If you don’t know this simple question and are planning on starting your own business work for a reputal roofing company first to learn the ropes. After you sharpen your skills look into starting your own company. It’s situations like this that give this industry a bad name. In some states the entry level into this business is to easy resulting in buyer beware. For example, in upstate New York many roofing contractors are a complete disaster.New york does not require contractor licensing, and many counties don’t require permits for roofing. There are very few companies up here that put on a “professional” roof. Different story for my sister company in Miami FL. Dade county is very tough from permitting to final inspection. State contractor licensing is very difficult and time consuming to get. Florida takes steps to make sure contractors have a clue and somewhat have their sh*t together.If you don’t know how to install ice and water shield, this is not the point to start your own company.

i didn’t ask for a wise ass response. other roofers please answer the question. i’ve heard it both ways from roofers. i’m assuming it goes on the osb board first

jason (abraham lincoln), surprised to see you here.

he has a very good point…i dont think he was trying to be a wise ass. but if you dont under stand that water runs downhill…well then…

Ice and water barrier typically goes directly on the wood decking and wraps a couple inches over the fascia board to prevent ice damming. When a GAF water barrier product is applied to a vertical surface such as a wall or dormer they require you to go on the vertical wood directly but to lay the ice sheild over the felt paper on the roof surface it self. This is so if there is a shift in settling the membrane has some play and won’t tear. GRACE says the opposite and goes directly on the wood both roof and vertical surface and I would agree with them. Keep in mind that the GRACE barrier is superior IMO than the Weather Watch. So it’s your call.

actually i guess it depends if you are putting it on the eve or rake or wall.

It has to stick to the deck not felt. its a substitute for the felt. We have a general rule on all roofs install 6’ at eaves 18" at rakes,cheeks and flashing.3’ centerd in vally.slopes 4 in 12 to 2 in 12 full coverage. on the ocean full coverage. all installed with “buttons” plastic cap nails. no staples allowed.

RooferJim

Just for the record. OSB Sucks! use plywood.

RooferJim

Read the red and white box that weatherwatch comes in, go to GAF.com, or read the pro field guide. Don’t expect sympathy from me for asking a roofing 101 question on a professional roofing public forum. Next time list yourself as a homeowner if you don’t wan’t any heat. You yourself stated “i’m getting into the roofing business”. Everyone else reading this who supports their family by owning a roofing company and has come up through the ranks and paid their dues can relate to this. There is nothing worse than an unskilled jackleg throwing around cheap prices and saying that they do quality work. 8 out of 10 new roofing companies are out of business in 2 1/2 years(data from bbb and nrca.)I wonder why???

Abe, good points. Your verbage tells me youre from Indy? LOL

Whoever said it goes over the edge to prevent ice damming might be a jackleg, too. It cannot prevent ice damming.

“Whoever said it goes over the edge to prevent ice damming might be a jackleg, too. It cannot prevent ice damming.”

I got your “jackleg” right here wiseass. If you ever actually installed a roof you’d know that running ice and water barrier membrane over the fascia and behind the gutter will prevent ice from backing up into that crack between the decking and fascia when the gutters get full of ice in the winter. Go actually install for a few years before you run your mouth like a snide little chump. Next time be a man and say who you’re referring to instead of making thinly veiled insults.

LOL ! Jesus guys go easy. Aaron is a good poster but yes he would get a back hander if he were on a crew out here.

RooferJim

I’m thinkin Aaron is being a wise ass.

No, ice and water shield does not prevent ice damming. But, it will help to stop the water, caused by the ice dam, from leaking into the house. :smiley:

I install to the wood and over the fascia, behind the gutter.

The proper way to nail a shingle is the next segment in “im starting my own business !”

i guess this jackleg was a jackass after all. here we have amny differnt answers from so called expienced guys. and let me tell you this jacklegs going to kick but as i’m the best salesman around

Mr Jacklegg I hope you do become a good roofing salesman, but a word to the wise is to learn the mechanics of the roofing trade and be a little bit humble or a sharp custumer will eat you alive and youll be out of work real quick. You can’t fake it you must first learn roofing and then have a passion for roofing. Yes learning roofing means breaking your ass in one hundred degree heat while a friendly seasoned roofing forman tears you a new asshole while you learn.
Cheers
RooferJim

I agree Abe has a good point his is a very simple question any experience roofer knows the answer of.

And if somone comes in here saying they will start their business makes you think .

I agree on the point if you dont know how to install ice and water shield is a very very very bad sign and must reconsider doing professional work .

Sounds inexperienced and it could be a bad thing for you as a contractor and for the poor homeowner who will suffer this mistakes .

It didnt sound like a smart ass to me . It sounded like someone giving you honest advice .

I would leave pride aside and reconsider

Hello,

I agree with Abe also, but RooferJ has a valid point about being passionate about your work.
As far as the best salesman GTP will be along soon to school you. :mrgreen:

Keith

I agree w/ abe & dennis,except new york city ,rockland+westchester counties,and yonkers require licensing(maybe not as strict as dade),it`s only upstate ,new york w/out licensing(in parts),as far as sales go-you need a good installer—i hear gtp is good,but some of us have been doing it very well for a lot longer,and still do,no disrespect kevin :smiley:

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]“Whoever said it goes over the edge to prevent ice damming might be a jackleg, too. It cannot prevent ice damming.”

I got your “jackleg” right here wiseass. If you ever actually installed a roof you’d know that running ice and water barrier membrane over the fascia and behind the gutter will prevent ice from backing up into that crack between the decking and fascia when the gutters get full of ice in the winter. Go actually install for a few years before you run your mouth like a snide little chump. Next time be a man and say who you’re referring to instead of making thinly veiled insults.[/quote]

OK, tar monkey, here goes…youre being a little less than I expected…if you would like to come and show me something, I am listed and available.

No ice barrier prevents ice damming. It prevents ice infiltration. As a matter of fact, I install it the same way you do for the same reason. I would, however NEVER tell anybody that an ice barrier will prevent ice dams from forming. That would be a catastrophic assumption of liability.

Also, I have been installing for 17 years. I have been in business for 9. This does not make me a master, but I do like to do things right. I also dislike watching bad information being spread.

Jim, I am not sure what you have against me, but please feel free to elaborate.