Proper Counter Flashing

Two days ago had a new roof installed on our interior unit townhouse. Unfortunately, the contractors installed the counter flashing against my neighbors adjoining brick with a straight cut (on the diagonal following the roofline) instead of stagger-stepping the flashing with the brick mortar. I’ve commented that it looks horrible, the metal flashing is too high and appears to be wavy, the caulking is highly visible from ground level and looks amateurish. All the other townhouses in the cluster have staggered flashing, with the exception of those where the offset of the adjoining house allows it to be placed under the rake board trim. I’m now being told by the contractor that the straight flashing is superior and less prone to leaking. To me that sounds like a lame excuse to avoid fixing a problem, especially when it appears they wanted to do the minimum necessary to complete the job. Again, all the other townhouses have stagger-stepped flashing, and the flashing that was removed from the previous roof was staggered and sealed against the brick mortar. Any thoughts on how best to address this?

Thanks all!

Actually straight is best in my option. Staggarded gives more opportunities for water to find a way in.

Pictures would help.

Both ways work fine the reason to step the counter flashing is that it maintains the integrity of the brick as opposed to cutting a slot through the brick.

Stepping the counter flashing is more expensive & time consuming, significantly.

When someone is going to cut a slot through the brick it should be a competent person doing it, it’s a one shot permanent deal.

Contact an old school mason to chip out the old counter flashing from the mortar joint and install new. It’s not done that way by the roofers because it was a mason that did it originally, and don’t have that skill set, nor do most modern masons unfortunately.

Tepflashing is best if go solid long piece need to cement in shingles on each overlap and wood get tared

The metal and caulking should be close to the same color or it should be painted!!!
Immediately!!
Dont wait until after the homeowner sees it.

Otherwise you will have complaints!!
And your method of installation will come into question and its straightness.
Other parts of the roof will come into question to.