Problem with 30year

has anyone had a problem with 30yr resawn shake curling and the tips after about 2 years

Are they organic?

Resawn Shake is not a very common color in my area.
I have not seen nor heard of this.

Do you think this problem may be color or lot specific?

It’s possible that a #2 shake was used which is not recommended for re-roofing. A #1 blue labeled shakes is what’s best to use. Do you know if number 2’s were used?

The labels on the bundles will tell you exactly what quality you have. Look at this link and see if any of these looks familiar.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installation/wall_manual/page01.htm

Red label and Black labels tend to have more flat grain wich will predispose the shake to curling.

I think the op is talking about Certainteeds 30 yr landmark resawn shake.

Oh, lol Could be!

Certainteed is junk. They have had more warranty law suits than any other company.

Ive seen many Certainteed’s fail. From Independence to Hallmark to Presidential to Landmark to XT25. Where I live a whole upscale neighborhood has different colors of Landmarks installed. The whole neighborhood has curling/cracking, and have filed a class action lawsuit. The shingles are only 3-4 years old.

Certainteed’s tolerances are tight on 3-tabs, and for that I commend them. But theyve still got some asphalt problems!

how much are they curlin,
1/4", 1", 2" ?

gweedo

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]Certainteed is junk. They have had more warranty law suits than any other company.

Ive seen many Certainteed’s fail. From Independence to Hallmark to Presidential to Landmark to XT25. Where I live a whole upscale neighborhood has different colors of Landmarks installed. The whole neighborhood has curling/cracking, and have filed a class action lawsuit. The shingles are only 3-4 years old.

Certainteed’s tolerances are tight on 3-tabs, and for that I commend them. But theyve still got some asphalt problems![/quote]

Will you please send pics of the 3-4 year old defective Landmarks? I’d love to see them. Been on many Landmarks roofs up to 10 years old and have yet to see any manufacturer defects. You may have your product mistaken for the New Horizon, Sealdon, and Classic Horizon. Actually Landmark got a higher consumer rating than ELK and GAF a couple years ago. Since 3M has come on board for Certainteed the products have really improved.

Doesn’t GAF Timberline also have a Resawn Shake?

[quote]MAYNIAC wrote:
Certainteed is junk. They have had more warranty law suits than any other company.

Certainteed’s tolerances are tight on 3-tabs, and for that I commend them. But theyve still got some asphalt problems!

Will you please send pics of the 3-4 year old defective Landmarks? I’d love to see them. Been on many Landmarks roofs up to 10 years old and have yet to see any manufacturer defects. You may have your product mistaken for the New Horizon, Sealdon, and Classic Horizon. Actually Landmark got a higher consumer rating than ELK and GAF a couple years ago. Since 3M has come on board for Certainteed the products have really improved.

Doesn’t GAF Timberline also have a Resawn Shake?[/quote]

I have been pushing Certainteed shingles for a long time.
I have never had any issues, ever…

Just like any other product there are defective batches, I assume, since I haven’t run into any yet with Certainteed…

i di 5 certainteed roofs this year. and 1 of them the saw teeth werent even attached to the shingle. so basically it was a 2 piece shingle. that is a [size=200]HUGE[/size] defect. esp. if the h/o is watching. i’d say 1/5 isnt a very good track record (for me anyways). i will agree that they have the most aggressive tar strip.

I’ll go along with a bad batch ,certinteeds have been around longer than I’ve been roofing.I think all manufactuers will have a bad batch from time to time ,especially after a hurricane when there’s a high demand for shingles and production is beefed up to meet the demand.

NOo GAF doesnt have resawn shake,thats a certainteed color,certainteeds fiberglass base shingles tend to be very good,it seems the organic base ones are usually the problem

somebody still makes shingles without fiberglass
in them?

thats stupid.

the fiberglass is what stopped em from curlin up in 5 yrs.

hello.

gweedo