Pricing

I know ya’ll are probably asked this question often but I have to ask it again because I am having a hard time accepting the labor pricing on this job. I say labor because I can price out the singles, felt, vent, etc. myself and see what my cost would be and would only hope that a contractors price would be better. If the former is correct is $5500 - 6500 (labor only) be correct with a 42 sq. house? If that’s what it is so be it, I’ll pay it, but just curious what you think. I definitely don’t want a “cheap” job done either.

First Question is Is this tearing off the existing shingles or is this a layover. 2nd What type of house is it ,walkable roof over steep, lots of Valleys ,very cutup or what?
However the Price is not just “labor” there is also overhead & in the roofing business overhead can be very high . Most of this is due to insurance which is extremely high for both Liability & workmans compensation. Roofing is a dangerous profession & the rates we pay reflect that a rate of 50% is not unusual in this business , That means if I pay my employees $1000.00 I also must pay the insurance company $500.00 . Then add in the rest of the costs & you find that it comes to a lot of money.
Now to more directly answer your question, if he is tearing off the existing shingles ,the price you have given is very fair for most areas of the country. Here in Michigan I would be charging closer to $8400.00 ( for what you are calling labor) . However if its a new roof or a layover of existing shingles than it depends greatly on the area of the country you live in , here in Michigan , I would say its a little high but not unreasonable if it is a simple ranch style house but if its a steep very cutup roof then once again I believe you have a very fair price .

Your price would be in the ballpark of what I am seeing for the whole job, I would not want a roof over and this is not one. The total prices range from 7800 + extras to 9800. It just sems high on an hour labor rate scale. I don’t know all about insurance for roofing and would not question that. This is a totally uneduacatied question so that i can understand where they are coming from.

Its not just a labor number. here this might make more sense to you:
Insurance, profit, gas, power, phones, advertising, rent for the building, salesman pay and office pay. i could go on here but the point is on a 42 square job money has to be made to support its portion of the business. Your prices or a little on the low side for a job that size. I would be around 9800 total for the job. Plus any extras or higher than walkable.

if your 42 sq house is a simple gable roof ( 2 sides / up and over), then maybe you can make some money at 2.25 pr sq.
but if theres dormers, walls, tyins etc, everywhere then forget it.

to low.

gweedo

I wanted to post a pic guys but had no http. This is a simple 4/12, chimney, two front gables. Its a big ranch. I would understand 12 pitch,dormers,cutup.

mr mbm,
the price you have gotten is
a little on the low side,
for florida.
that should tell ya somethin.

yes the materials only around 3000.
yes it just doesnt seem rite.

just beleive us by the time the roofer
pays for everything, he/she stands to profit
maybe 2 grand.
not 5 or 6.

its just not to high a price.

gweedo

Hi,

Keep looking. If you look hard enough. You can get it done for half that.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Keep looking. If you look hard enough. You can get it done for half that.[/quote]

hahahaha

and then after you find the half price roof, keep looking for someone to cut that price…and keep on going until you find the guy that will be really super cheap, and take your down payment and never return :frowning:

Half the price, what quality will you get. at 9k your at 214 a square. Yes i can see the roof being done for 180 but at 107. Come on.

Hi Gtp1003,

Quality. LOL He is not looking for quality. He wanted advice on how to get the cheapest price.

My advice was right on the money.

Yea you might have a point there. I think the price is a little low if you ask me but hey if he or she wants the worst work out there by all means look for the cheapest. Hey what they say is true you get what you pay for.

Guys above is what I said. I am a quality control inspector and take RFQ’s so i am not totally stupid on the cost of a business’s overhead. I will say if this is the income on any 2-3 day job thats not all that bad. I have had to work alot harder for alot less money than this.

I do appreciate your feedback!

[quote=“mbm2756”]

Guys above is what I said. I am a quality control inspector and take RFQ’s so i am not totally stupid on the cost of a business’s overhead. I will say if this is the income on any 2-3 day job thats not all that bad. I have had to work alot harder for alot less money than this.

I do appreciate your feedback![/quote]

In my area, the price you have been given would be a bargain.

im my area… that price is what we call a joke !!! low ballers will come and go at those prices all day. The abiblity to be able to sell for what you need to get to make your profit margins work is the whole idea.

always simple and to the point, that alone always works in sales.

that`s cheap in my opinion