Pricing for installing shingles

Hello All,got a question why does it seem like the price for installing shingles is going backwards.I,m tired of trying to compete with the lowballers,installing shingles on an 8/12 for 25.00 per square.Does anyone think it will get better or worse?

When Obama is president he will fix your pay. By “income redistribution” he will take money from rich folks and “re-distribute” to you since you wont make much money next year.

25 is crap. I wouldnt pay my guys less than 35.

He will bring the cost up by mandating all roofing companies to be in a roofing union. In doing so he’ll crush the small guys and if they want to keep in business either comply or work for crumbs. The void in money will come from tax payers.

Never met a small business owner in favor of the donkey mentality.

The reason why labor prices are going down is because the housing market is in rough shape. Builders are being bothered by roofers daily trying to do work for cheaper and cheaper.

The home owners will suffer when they find the builder hired a very cheap roofing crew to roof there house and did a lousy job.

I’m really liking this thread.

Question. Do you give qoutes to people with Obama yard signs in the yard and if so, how much do you charge? :mrgreen:

Economics 45, supply and demand.
Here in LA prices had dropped to $25 sq for new construction two mths back, now since Gustav came through my guys are getting $200+.
After Katerina three yrs ago prices went up as far as $400 sq in LA and MS.
Back to the 25sq though, you gotta figure $250 for an easy day hand nailing ain’t bad for a days work.

[quote=“roof-lover”]I’m really liking this thread.

Question. Do you give qoutes to people with Obama yard signs in the yard and if so, how much do you charge? :mrgreen:
the prices are the same for everyone[/quote]

Hi all, first time poster here.

I am thinkin about shootin down to Texas to help with roofing after IKE and make some legit money. I am a journey level roofer and can (prefer) to work alone. My hope is to hook up with a “REPUTABLE” local company around Houston.
What installation rates might I expect?

Better off heading to over to LA Bruce, the spanish sub crews here drive the price down on shingle work but it will be way worse in TX.

[quote=“dougger222”]He will bring the cost up by mandating all roofing companies to be in a roofing union. In doing so he’ll crush the small guys and if they want to keep in business either comply or work for crumbs.
[/quote]

Where did you hear that obama is interested in unionizing all roofers? That sounds highly unlikely, there’s more important things for a new administration to worry about, like a huge budget deficit for instance.
If he did by some miracle pull it off wouldn’t wages for roofers turn into bigger crumbs than now? I’m retired from operating engineers union and always made at least 30% more than the non union hands around here.
Is there even a roofers union? I recall seeing carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc. unions on jobs but can’t recall ever seeing a roofers union logo? Regards, DaveB

Founded in the late 1800s it is United union of roofers,waterproofers and allied workers.The symbol is a high rise with materials being craned up.As an operating engineer you should’ve worked hand in hand with union roofers I would’ve thought.In Philadelphia we are local 30 a & b. A is for comm. and b is resi .Small business owners do fine.

I was in Roofers union local #33 Boston as a slater. two of my cousins are still union. one is in sheet metal workers though and only does copper work. I tried going union for my own business but it didn’t really pan out. they have some of the best roofers in the union though, they take there trade very seriously.

I was Union Local 11 out of Chicago and managed a Union Company after I started my own Open Shop company, but in the unregulated residential market, that would be a pipe dream.

Ed

overpopulation.
to many workers not enough jobs = cut throat.

yeah a freind of mine,ide rather not name,
just shingled for 15 a sq.

gweedo.

Hi Tarface, I’m in local 3 operating engineers but actually worked mostly as a surveyor.Not much highrise construction here on Monterey bay, so I didn’t get to spend much time on big building jobs. We did a lot of dirt spreads and subdivision staking where the roofers were probably small local companies. Don’t know if any were union or not as we usually were about finished with our stuff by the time the roofers showed up.
Regards, DaveB

i disagree, you’re better off going to se-tx. The prices are lower there, but there is FAR more work there.

Bruce be sure to google TWIA (Texas Windstorm Insurance Association) before you try to do ANY work in texas. If a TWIA windstorm inspector does not check the job and give a windstorm certificate, then TWIA will not ensure the homeowners roof. This is VERY important because after hurricane RITA in 2005 alot of insurance company’s decided they wouldn’t ensure homeowners for hurricanes/windstorms. One of the regulations for TWIA is the shingles MUST be rated for 110mph.

Horses for courses. The beating Baton Rouge took will require roofers for a long time yet.
I don’t do more work for less money.

Thanks for your input re: going south for work.
I am not interested in being the out of state “stormchaser”. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And it’s not fair to the local companies or the homeowner.
I am interested in hooking up with a reputable local company down there somewhere and working for them. Any good leads for that? I don’t care if it’s texas or LA as its only what, 5 hrs. drive from houston to Baton Rouge?
Also, should I drive down or fly and try to find transportation there?
Thanks again, Bruce

Bruce, Texas would be great for you now. Houston should be paying 55.00 per sq. for 30yr. 1 story plus 5-10 extra for 2 story. Most of the crews are Hispanic but one guy could make a fortune just doing repairs in the Woodlands and Spring. Definitely drive, traffic is a problem just got back from there and felt like I was in L.A… You should be able to charge anywhere from $250.00 to $500.00 for a simple repair.

tdi.state.tx.us/wind/documen … %20Reg.pdf

tdi.state.tx.us/wind/

apps.tdi.state.tx.us/windstormsearch/start.jsp

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/artwork/tier_one_rev%2012-07--02.gif

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/artwork/co_galveston.gif

Important for all counties within this range:
INLAND II - 2006 IBC/IRC with the Texas Revisions, 110 mph 3-second gust design wind speed

INLAND I - 2006 IBC/IRC with the Texas Revisions, 120 mph 3-second gust design wind speed

SEAWARD - 2006 IBC/IRC with the Texas Revisions, 130 mph 3-second gust design wind speed

Engineering Services and Windstorm Inspections Section

tdi.state.tx.us/wind/contacts.html