Price increases on material

Hi, In the North East Ohio area our suppliers are telling us we are going to see increases in the amount of 10% to 15% percent on material costs. I am just interested to hear if this is about the same in other regions? They say it is due to the high prices of petroleum based products as well as high fuel and energy costs. I did hear today that the GAF/ELk line will be increased in Febuary by 12%.

We had a 10% increase across the board last year.
Some items increased by more than 25%…

I am suspecting there will be another this year also, but I have not heard about it yet.

You don’t hear about inflation on the news yet, but it has been happening for the last 2 years.

A gallon of milk here is $4.79.

Yes, so for Christ sake raise your prices.

A trim coil went from $52 to $78 and a roll of Grace went from $84 to $105, overnight…

As mentioned in another thread shakes have almost doubled in 1 year.

you guys work with OIL based products…do the math

That doesn’t explain the significant rise in aluminum or cedar.

it called cause and effect.you pay more for asphalt based products so all other roofing related material mfgrs feel the need to “share” in the opportunity to raise theirs also. they think they arent getting whats due to them . they dont want to be the "cheap"aspect of the industry.

Well, as far as aluminum is concerned it takes a huge amount of energy to produce.

You will see that when we do finally perfect fusion energy, aluminum prices will plummet dramatically.
Aluminum is the 6th most abundant element in the earths crust.
It takes a lot of electricity to extract it from its ore.

As far as cedar is concerned, there is no good reason for the dramatic increase.
Cedar is fast growing and very abundant.

Don’t know the figures, but I’ve been told 1 Feb is the date for the next round of price increases.

As for cedar & aluminum, don’t forget it takes fuel to bring this to market in all areas other than “made of oil or oil related parts”.

!Thanks, George!

Heard of a possible 10-15% increase from Certainteed in the first couple weeks of Feb.

We were assured to have increases in Febuary as well as a possible second in july or so. I was told by ABC supply that wood fibered board would stay about the same. Reason being is that wood firbered trys to compete with osb. Whatever the heck that means? :stuck_out_tongue:

All manufacturers have announced 10-15% increases…Inlcuding both shingles and felt/ice guard.

I buy about 90% from Bradco Supply here in Columbus, Ohio.

They arent passing the increase on to us until April or so, because they have a good inventory.

GAF/ELK is the first to hit. But they might find themeselves priced out of the market…So there will be a decrease later. The net increase will be 5-7% like it is about every year.

They have done this the past few years in a row.

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]All manufacturers have announced 10-15% increases…Inlcuding both shingles and felt/ice guard.

I buy about 90% from Bradco Supply here in Columbus, Ohio.

They arent passing the increase on to us until April or so, because they have a good inventory.

GAF/ELK is the first to hit. But they might find themeselves priced out of the market…So there will be a decrease later. The net increase will be 5-7% like it is about every year.

They have done this the past few years in a row.[/quote]

I am willing to bet that most suppliers will raise thier prices when the manufactures announces price increases no matter what thier inventory is. At least I’m already figuring the increase in prices. We need a raise anyways!!!

I deal with Bradco and Palmer Donavin.

Our pricing is locked in until the end of April, so the affect on our company wont hit until then.

ABC has the tendency to act as gas stations do…I.E. jack the price up as soon as they here it. They fail to realize that with the inventory they already have, they arent paying more for material until the stock runs out.

This is why I cant stand ABC.

[quote=“MAYNIAC”]I deal with Bradco and Palmer Donavin.

Our pricing is locked in until the end of April, so the affect on our company wont hit until then.

ABC has the tendency to act as gas stations do…I.E. jack the price up as soon as they here it. They fail to realize that with the inventory they already have, they arent paying more for material until the stock runs out.

This is why I cant stand ABC.[/quote]

I deal with Abc some roofing but mostly on vinyl. Reason being is there buying power and inventory does two things for me.

1. They almost always have what i want and when I want it.If they don’t have it they get in 1 day.
  2. I have neg. prices with them and I pay no delivery charges as well as lower prices on stock material than anywhere else I deal with.

I buy a lot of roofing from Willoughby Supply. Because there prices are competitive. There service is second to none. They have an 80,000 sq ft warehouse. So material is always inside. They go to the Certainteed plant daily. Therefore high end shingles are only a few days out. Draw back is 10% restock fee.(which i hate). They are actually the ones who first enforced the increase as well as announced the price increase. Actually Abc Supply hasn’t sent out a letter yet about the increase. I’m there or on the phone every other day so I’ve just been told.

The price of aluminum - as all metals - is going through the roof! You can thank China, who is modernizing and building their infrastructure, for the price increases. More countries are competing for the finite amount of metals on our planet. Who can afford copper anymore?

My yard has said they will make the price increase in March. They said that due to such a horrible year with building and such they don’t have the spending power like in years past to buy up before the price increase saving the contractors money. In years past they’ve been able to buy enough shingles in the early spring to go through October which is usually when they raise the prices. In the years past they’ve been contacted by Certainteed reps and they said the other yards in the area couldn’t compete with their low prices and they needed to bump up their prices a bit. This is because they bought big before the prices were raised.

BTW, I no longer check prices from the others yards, they treat me right. Most jobs get called in for materials a day before we start and 95% of the time they ask what time I want the shingles to be delivered tommorrow, pretty nice!

If they don’t have the shingles in stock they either drive 5 miles and pick them up from the distributor or drive the 20 miles to the Shakopee plant. More than once last year they drove to the distributor and came right out to the job.

Doug, it’s good to hear that you have a supplier like mine that offers great service. it sure the business easier. There have been several several times when my crew wil start a tearoff first thing in the morning . The office calls the supplier at the time they open that day and the crew has shingles by 10 a.m. 12 noon at the very latest(but that’s on a rare occassion). I pay .30 cents more per square through that supplier but in the end it’s well worth it. They have never held up a crew on us. :smiley:

FWB, that is a great way to work if you have a long term customer who begins to rely on you for some ‘one day’s notice’ type jobs or even sketchy rain situations.

I have a client that I do about 2 roofs a month for & sometimes, they have an urgent flip sale that will need a roof; in that regard, so long as it’s not a bad steep, I will offer hand load for $ 1.00 per bundle minimum if they don’t want to wait the 2 days it might take me to get a delivery.

Reason this benefits us is… We do alot of steep roofs. We Don’t like to stock the the steep ones until the roof is torn off. The crew shows up with a dump truck and tool trailer. In the tool trailer is ice guard, felt paper, drip edge, starter etc. They usually have the peak or one side torn off and felted before the shingles get there. Then the roof top delivery is being delivered onto a felted roof. This elimantes the moving of shingles on a steep roof to tear off. Plus we usually leave some on the ground it is easier to move bundles up rather than down.
I called another supplier once this year to get atlas shingles. He said they were 2 days out. I knew they wouldn’t be like my current main supplier but I called because I figured it would 24 hours or so. When he said 2 days I said “see why you Don’t know me by first name Willoughby Supply is there that Day.” Willoughby has a program that if you need material because your short or you need to dry it in. They will be there within 2 hours. Know that’s service.