Price increase

I put a new roof on my home about 1 1/2 years ago and paid around $20 for a square of OC DURATION PREMIUM. I came across prices over the weekend and noticed they are now around $30 bucks for a square of the identical shingle!

WOW - can’t believe shingles went up by 1/3!
These price increase must make it a litter tougher on you roofers!

$20 to $30 is a 50% increase

70 a sq in tampa bay.

gweedo.

$20 a square or a bundle?

Last year I went from paying $52 a square to $94 a square for Landmarks. The Winterguard, Roofer Sellect, and Sure Start all went up a lot too.

I started a bidding war between all the local suppliers for my business. i ended up staying with the same supplier for a $4 a square decrease and decrease on all materials across the board. It helps i buy all accessories in in bulk and have a pretty high volume.

They need us just as bad as we need them.

I was getting Elks for 36.00 a sq. The new gaf/elks are 79,and I paid 25. a roll for shingle mate when junk felt was 6.50, now it is 56.00 a roll…Junk felt is 27.00!!! I still won’t use any thing but shingle mate…I just can’t go back…

Price must have been for a bundle - not a square!

O.C. is highest priced here…

I have to admit the only roof I did last year with the O/C Duration 30 was on a 50sq two sided 4/12 motel and they ran great. The only problem I saw was out of 50 sq’s two bundles looked a lot different than the rest.

The other day on one of those DIY chanels they showed the O/C test facility for shingles. Looks like they are doing there home home work. The program also had experiments with 3 tab fiberglass, 3 tab fiberglass impact resistant, metal roof, and a few types of tiles. They dropped golf balls, 1.5in steel balls, and shot frozen paint balls at them.

I am not saying that I use O.C…I sell mostly Gaf/Elk,but once in a while you get a customer that wants them,or a partial roof that has O.C. on another part already…Last year I had to re-do a roof that had O.C. on it ,cause the clown did not know how to run step flashing…That small 4 sq. job led to 4 nice size roof jobs from referral…at that time the O.C. was 78.00 sq., and gaf/elk were 62.00…

[quote=“dougger222”]

The other day on one of those DIY chanels they showed the O/C test facility for shingles. Looks like they are doing there home home work. The program also had experiments with 3 tab fiberglass, 3 tab fiberglass impact resistant, metal roof, and a few types of tiles. They dropped golf balls, 1.5in steel balls, and shot frozen paint balls at them.[/quote]

Where they drop a steel ball on shingles (of a certain weight from a certain height), tiles, etc is the standard UL 2218 test for impact resistance. I have never heard of frozen paint balls though, that is interesting!